The Dunwich Legacy

Investigators set out to save Arkham by defeating an Ancient One who is attempting to break into this world through gates in other dimensions.

Moderator: Tabs

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Spoiler:
I think we should spawn the Servant in the Schoolhouse, where it'll be out of the way. It would take a minimum of 2 actions to use its ability to get a clue by killing it, and we can't afford such a slow pace, though it and the other one may be useful for that after we've found 8 of the 10 clues in the Hidden Chamber so that we can get out of there. It's a shame that Whippoorwill spawned there. I think I should stick to my plan of going to the Hidden Chamber and using Rite of Seeking, committing The Painted World for +2 Will. Do you want to go first, or should I?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:58 am

OOC:   Good idea about the final 2 clues.  

1 Play Peter Sylvestre, spending 3 resources.

2 Action Lockpicks and investigate the Hidden Chamber. Intellect 3 +5[Agility and Peter] -1[Whippoorwill] vs. Shroud 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
elder thing -3 ; success! 1 clue gained (1/10) but 1 supply spent.

3 Action Lockpicks and investigate the Hidden Chamber. Intellect 3 +5[Agility and Peter] -1[Whippoorwill] vs. Shroud 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-1 ; success! 1 clue gained (2/10).

A hand is placed upon Wendy's head and then it ruffles her hair. "Howdy, little girl!" says the track star. "Here to help. Peter's the name by the way." He pauses to stare at the monster and whistles. "What an ugly thing you've got!"

Now, he looks quick which is always useful--life on the street has taught her that--but his vacuous smile also tells her that he is, well, a bit thick--which could be useful too...

"Found it down here," replies Wendy, politely not enquiring as to where on earth he's come from. "Let's thoroughly search this place and find out what is going on." She tries to ignore the monster whilst investigating using her Lockpicks, one of 'em snaps, but she feels that this is the way to go.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Spoiler:
Lockpicks can only be used once per turn, as they are exhausted when you use them. You'll need to use your third action to do something else, such as playing the Emergency Cache or backing out of the Hidden Chamber. I'd say you should use "Look what I found!" but you don't have the resources to play it, as you spent them all on Peter.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am

OOC:   Nuts! My happy plan is not going as imagined.  

3 Play Emergency Cache.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Turn 6 Investigator Phase

Sefina finally catches up to Wendy. "Oh, there you are!" she says with relief. "Thank God you're all right." She shudders at the hideous monster chained up in this chamber. She casts her spell, but its presence is too distracting.

Spoiler:
Action 1: Move to Burned Ruins.
Action 2: Move to The Hidden Chamber.
Action 3: Activate Rite of Seeking, spending 1 charge. Investigate (Will 4 + 2[The Painted World] - 1[Whippoorwill] = 5 vs. 3 shroud):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

-4, failure. My turn immediately ends.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:19 pm

"Yes, here I am!" answers Wendy brightly, glad that Sefina has joined her in the chamber. "Try to ignore the beast," she says when Sefina shudders; "I am trying to too, though it's hard I guess, I mean, it's soooo ugly."

Enemy Phase

Whippoorwill moves to the Burned Ruins.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Spoiler:
The monster doesn't attack us?
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:11 pm

OOC:   Surely not. It's chained up.  

Upkeep Phase

Ready cards.

Wendy Image + 1 resource

"Oh poo!"

Sefina Image + 1 resource.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Tabs » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:45 pm

MAP

Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook -> Osbourne's General Store -> Schoolhouse
Bishop's Brook -> Village Commons -> Osbourne's General Store -> Burned Ruins
Osbourne's General Store -> Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook
Schoolhouse [Servant] -> Village Commons -> House in the Reeds -> Bishop's Brook
House in the Reeds [Servant] -> Schoolhouse
Burned Ruins [Whippoorwill] -> Bishop's Brook
Hidden Chamber [Wendy, Sefina, Whippoorwill] -> Burned Ruins

Mythos Phase

Image 2/6

Wendy ImageImage

Intellect 3 +2[Cornered, discarding Sneak Attack] vs. 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
+1 ; success!

Something claws at Wendy's ear, a feathery omen of ill will, she imagines; it's as if stick-like legs with grasping toes are walking over her head--and a bird-creature is going to peck her eyes out. She shudders with the "creeps." And then, still imagining, she pictures the clue that she just found, winging its way out of her pinafore pocket and trying to flap away. Wendy smacks her hand down tight over the pocket to prevent any escape. "Birds and feathers," she says angrily.

Sefina ImageImage
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:26 am

Spoiler:
Are you sure you want to put Psychopomp's Song on yourself? I can take a little more damage than you, as I have the Bulletproof Vest. On the other hand, I'll get attacked if I can't evade the Nightgaunt. It's a shame you had to give up your Sneak Attack, or we could have killed it with both of ours. I don't want to use Backstab, as I'll probably miss, and even if I hit, I won't do enough damage to kill it outright. I think my best bet is to evade, then use Sneak Attack and try to stab it if I have any actions left. Shall I go first?
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:40 pm

OOC:   Yes, I think so, though I seem to be making the wrong call, see Sneak Attack. I believe, with the good gods on our side--what, there aren't any good ones in Arkham?--that Wendy can discover those clues. How about Sefina moving to the Burned Ruins, taking a hit, and then evading the Nightgaunt, then playing Liquid Courage? My idea being that she could lead the Nightgaunt and Whippoorwills away from the Hidden Chamber. Wendy to play Flashlight, then investigate, then move. The following turn Sefina can draw the monsters away and kill the Servants, Wendy to move back to the Chamber and continue investigating; at some point Sefina can race back and cast Rite of Seeking??  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:55 am

Spoiler:
I think you're overestimating my combat abilities, but you're right that we can't let the Whippoorwills both be in The Hidden Chamber. We don't want them in the same location at all, so you should probably stay in The Hidden Chamber to keep that one pinned there and keep trying to find clues. I don't know if I want to take that hit. Maybe I should evade the Nightgaunt, using Sneak Attack if I succeed on my first attempt, and use my last action to go back to the Burned Ruins. Playing Liquid Courage wouldn't do anything by itself, as it takes another action to use it.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:58 pm

OOC:   Probably--clutching at straws. One thing though, by evading in the Chamber the Nightgaunt will disengage and be left there.  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:20 am

Spoiler:
That is a problem, but if I don't evade it, I'm taking two hits from that thing. I can't evade it in the Burned Ruins because I'm facing two penalties. I'll be lucky if I can do it at all even in The Hidden Chamber. This would have been a lot easier if we'd been lucky enough to have found it sooner. Dragging it outside would only help temporarily anyway, as it's a Hunter and would just come back. If I do evade it in The Hidden Chamber, at least it will be exhausted and not get a chance to attack this round, which gives you time to find clues. Then next turn I could return and engage it, and you could then back out of The Hidden Chamber after finding as many clues as you can.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:48 am

OOC:   Okay. One never knows, we may draw another Sneak Attack or Blinding Light or something.  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:51 am

Turn 7 Investigator Phase

Sefina screams as the flying creature descends upon her, it having tracked her down again at last. It takes some effort, but eventually she is able to dodge its grasping claws and tail, fleeing from the chamber.

Spoiler:
Action 1: Evade (Agility 4 - 1[Whippoorwill] = 3 vs. 1[Hunting Nightgaunt]):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

-3 x 2 = -6. Failure.
Action 2: Evade (Agility 4 - 1[Whippoorwill] = 3 vs. 1[Hunting Nightgaunt]):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

Elder Sign, +3. Success! Woohoo! 8-) I'll draw Ward of Protection for free. I have Blinding Light in there too, but it's more important to be able to stop bad encounters.
Action 3: Move to Burned Ruins.

I got an email from Alex White, who's looking for people to do a blind playtest of A Cool and Lonely Courage. Would you like to try that on this site? I can set up a board for it, and I know how we can simulate card draws with the online dice roller. Since only the suits matter, and not the ranks, I can just keep track of how many of each suit are left in the deck. The first draw will be 1d52, the second 1d51, and so on. I think we can play one round per day if we just narrate the scenes and write them up, or a week or so if we roleplay them out and go back and forth. I'm not sure if he has enough time to wait for us to do it that way, but the first method should work. Then I can just give him the link once I've set up the board, and he can read it.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 pm

OOC:   Sure, sounds fun!  

1 Play Flashlight, spending 2 resources.

2 Action Flashlight, spending 1 supply. Intellect 3 -1[Whippoorwill] vs. shroud 3 -2[Flashlight],
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-1 ; success! 1 clue gained (2/10).

3 Action Lockpicks. Intellect 3 + agility 4 +1[Peter] +1[Scrapper, spending 1 resource] -1[Whippoorwill] vs. shroud 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-3 ; success! 1 clue gained (3/10).

"Sefina! Oh. Ooh. Well done!" shouts Wendy as her friend dodges and then escapes the thing.

She uses her time well, shining her flashlight into crannies around the chamber, but avoiding the chained beast, obviously; after several horrid, dusty and crumpled spiders she discovers a marble, winking back at her. Next, to conserve the flashlight's batteries, she pokes around with her last lock pick; luckily it doesn't snap, and she discovers another marble, all creamy coloured with a red spot. "A swisser," she thinks triumphantly.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 am

Spoiler:
Nicely done!

Great! I've set up a board for A Cool and Lonely Courage here. The only thing there is the OOC chat thread right now, but after Alex sends me the playtest materials, I'll send you a copy and get things started. While the game supports 2-5 players, it would probably be better to keep it to 2. It would take a good deal longer with more, especially if they don't post almost every day like we do.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:25 am

Upkeep Phase

Sefina Image + 1 resource

Wendy Image + 1 resource
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Spoiler:
Nice draws! Overpower will help me fight that Nightgaunt, and with the Lantern you could kill a Whippoorwill with two actions, without having to draw from the Chaos Bag at all.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Horror