Barnabas

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Re: Barnabas

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:56 am

Image

"Then I was right, Doctor, it was anemia," says Victoria.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:50 am

SunlessNick wrote:
"It's... it's my... father. He... could you help him to not need to drink so much? If I could get him to come. He'd... be happier if he didn't drink so much... I'm sure of it." Maggie's face is the picture of someone who thinks she's being a Judas saying all this.


"Do you think you could persuade him to seek my help? If not, there are more subtle ways to proceed, without his knowledge."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Then I was right, Doctor, it was anemia," says Victoria.


"I suppose you could call it that, in a sense. Without getting into technical details, let's just say that it's a minor disorder of the blood cells, one I've seen before in my practice. Time is the best cure."

These words would seem to be prophetic, as Carolyn seems more lively as the days go by. She continues to go out most nights, which isn't unusual for a popular young woman with many admirers. Speaking of which, the two she most frequently is seen with, namely Joe Haskell and Burke Devlin, come up to the mansion on separate occasions to call on her. Both wind up disappointed when they ask her out, as she claims to be busy.

David acts bored and cranky lately, claiming that Josette and Sarah haven't been around lately. ("My son's imaginary friends," Roger remarks dryly. "He's rather a ladies' man, it seems," he continues, with a mixture of exasperation and amusement.) He also remarks, rather oddly, that "the old guy is still real old, but not super-super old." He also mutters something about finding out what his "dumb cousin" is up to.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby SunlessNick » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:43 pm

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Do you think you could persuade him to seek my help? If not, there are more subtle ways to proceed, without his knowledge."
"I'll try. Thankyou Dr Hoffman."

The next time she's eating together with Sam, she'll mention off hand that she's that doctor who came to town with Barnabas Collins a couple of times. "She's a psychiatrist, I think. I don't know what she's treating him for though."

A nights she keeps playing the music box and dreaming of a better life.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Barnabas

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:55 am

Image

"I'm wondering where Carolyn goes at night too," says Victoria to David. "She's not going out with Joe or Burke, so what exactly is she doing? And the old guy is getting younger now? Is he always alone?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:04 am

SunlessNick wrote:I'll try. Thankyou Dr Hoffman."

The next time she's eating together with Sam, she'll mention off hand that she's that doctor who came to town with Barnabas Collins a couple of times. "She's a psychiatrist, I think. I don't know what she's treating him for though."


"Headshrinker, eh? Anybody who'd go to a psychiatrist should have his head examined." Sam guffaws at his own joke, and is obviously not impressed by Doctor Hoffman's credentials.

At nights she keeps playing the music box and dreaming of a better life.


Spoiler:
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:
12


Spoiler:
That night you have a vivid dream of walking out to Widow's Hill on a moonlit night and watching the waves crash against the rocks far below. You are dressed in clothing of a time long past; perhaps, in a part of your mind that knows you are dreaming, this seems like the cover art of a paperback romance novel. A man, dressed in an equally archaic way, approaches you. It is Barnabas, but he seems younger somehow, more vibrant. He takes your hand and leads you away from the edge of the cliff. You awaken, feeling as if the dream were as real as the modern world.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:15 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I'm wondering where Carolyn goes at night too," says Victoria to David. "She's not going out with Joe or Burke, so what exactly is she doing? And the old guy is getting younger now? Is he always alone?"


"I dunno. I just catch glimpses of him, right after the sun goes down. I'm not supposed to stay out too late, like I'm some kind of big baby. Say, if I sneak out some night and try to follow the guy, you wouldn't tell on me, would you?"
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:18 pm

Image

"That sounds awfully dangerous," says Victoria. "If anything happened to you, I'd never forgive myself. Maybe it's better if I follow Carolyn instead. I'm allowed out nights just like she is, so nobody could possibly object."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Barnabas

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:12 am

Image
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Headshrinker, eh? Anybody who'd go to a psychiatrist should have his head examined." Sam guffaws at his own joke, and is obviously not impressed by Doctor Hoffman's credentials.
"I've been thinking of going to see her. See if she can help me with my claustrophobia."

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
That night you have a vivid dream of walking out to Widow's Hill on a moonlit night and watching the waves crash against the rocks far below. You are dressed in clothing of a time long past; perhaps, in a part of your mind that knows you are dreaming, this seems like the cover art of a paperback romance novel. A man, dressed in an equally archaic way, approaches you. It is Barnabas, but he seems younger somehow, more vibrant. He takes your hand and leads you away from the edge of the cliff. You awaken, feeling as if the dream were as real as the modern world.
Maggie seems dreamy and out of it in the diner the next day.
Spoiler:
The dream is going back and forth in her mind. There's something scary about it - Barnabas was kind of creepy at the party - but Maggie is drawn to the thought anyway - all her and Sam's problems would be over.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:16 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
"That sounds awfully dangerous," says Victoria. "If anything happened to you, I'd never forgive myself. Maybe it's better if I follow Carolyn instead. I'm allowed out nights just like she is, so nobody could possibly object."


"Aw, gee, I never have any fun." This complaint is not an uncommon one, nor is it particularly accurate. In any case, David does not press his case further.

That evening, Victoria makes some excuse for going out, intending to investigate Carolyn's nocturnal wanderings.

Spoiler:
I won't call this Tracking, which is difficult, but rather Tailing, which involves your Dex vs. the target's Wis. Both 9, I would think.
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 2d20:
11, 6


It's easy enough to follow Carolyn, but making one's way through the trees between the mansion and the Old House -- for that is where she is bound -- is a little trickier. Victoria happens to step on a twig, producing a loud snap. Carolyn turns around, startled, and catches sight of her.

"What . . . what are you doing here?" She seems more frightened than annoyed at being followed, and wraps her scarf more securely around her neck.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:30 am

SunlessNick wrote:"I've been thinking of going to see her. See if she can help me with my claustrophobia."


Sam shrugs. "Go ahead, as long as it doesn't cost too much. Think you can afford it?"

Spoiler:
Maggie seems dreamy and out of it in the diner the next day. The dream is going back and forth in her mind. There's something scary about it - Barnabas was kind of creepy at the party - but Maggie is drawn to the thought anyway - all her and Sam's problems would be over.


Spoiler:
I'm not sure if you intended the above to be in spoiler brackets or not. Anyway, it's impossible to put out of your mind the fact that Barnabas seems to be very wealthy indeed, judging by the quality of many of the rare antiques at the Old House. (You can tell that, even if you're not an expert on antiques; some of them are decorated with what must be real jewels.)
Not that you would consider a man's riches a factor in your friendship with him! But he does seem to be generous. On the other hand, Burke Devlin isn't exactly a pauper, either, and he's not so eccentric . . .
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:43 pm

Image
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Sam shrugs. "Go ahead, as long as it doesn't cost too much. Think you can afford it?"
"I'd have to find out, but I think Mr Collins pays her, so she might not charge at all. I wondered if we could go together."

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure if you intended the above to be in spoiler brackets or not. Anyway, it's impossible to put out of your mind the fact that Barnabas seems to be very wealthy indeed, judging by the quality of many of the rare antiques at the Old House. (You can tell that, even if you're not an expert on antiques; some of them are decorated with what must be real jewels.)
Not that you would consider a man's riches a factor in your friendship with him! But he does seem to be generous. On the other hand, Burke Devlin isn't exactly a pauper, either, and he's not so eccentric . . .
Spoiler:
I did, as it was more thoughts and setting myself up for trouble :cry: . No, it can't all be about money, but security is a tempting thought. And Burke seems to be off the hook for murdering someone which puts him below Barnabas in the unnerving department.

Does Burke still come by the diner? If so Maggie will make a point of greeting him. "We haven't talked in a while. Not since the fire, really How have you been?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Barnabas

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 pm

Image

"I was wondering where you go at night," says Victoria, sticking with the truth. She's not a very good liar anyway. "I was also worried about you. It's not safe to go out alone at night."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 am

SunlessNick wrote:]"I'd have to find out, but I think Mr Collins pays her, so she might not charge at all. I wondered if we could go together."


"Well, OK. That Old House is getting to be quite a place, they tell me. Might make a good subject for a painting. You know, sell it to a tourist. Local color stuff."

Sam seems more amenable to a visit to Doctor Hoffman, now that it seems that money might not be involved.


Does Burke still come by the diner? If so Maggie will make a point of greeting him. "We haven't talked in a while. Not since the fire, really. How have you been?"


Burke comes in for a cup of coffee.

"Not bad. Busy. Got some business to take care of in South America. Lots of long distant phone calls, you know. So, how's life treating you? Been kinda quiet down at the Blue Whale, now that Carolyn's not hanging around with her lap dog, what's-his-name, Joe. Maybe you and I should pay a visit there some time. Oh, I ran into your old man a couple of nights ago. Really hitting the sauce, isn't he? Not that I don't enjoy a good snort myself."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I was wondering where you go at night," says Victoria, sticking with the truth. She's not a very good liar anyway. "I was also worried about you. It's not safe to go out alone at night."


"Uh, I'm fine. Just fine. Don't worry about me."

Carolyn scurries towards the Old House and bangs on the front door repeatedly. Willie opens it.

"You shouldn't be comin' around here, Miss--" he begins.

Carolyn rushes inside before he can finish. She pushes the door closed behind herself.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby SunlessNick » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:29 am

Image
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Well, OK. That Old House is getting to be quite a place, they tell me. Might make a good subject for a painting. You know, sell it to a tourist. Local color stuff."
"That's great. Thanks, Dad."

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Maybe you and I should pay a visit there some time. Oh, I ran into your old man a couple of nights ago. Really hitting the sauce, isn't he? Not that I don't enjoy a good snort myself."
"Yeah," Maggie replies, biting her lip. "It'd be nice to go out."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Barnabas

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:47 am

Image

Victoria knocks on the door.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:18 am

SunlessNick wrote:That's great. Thanks, Dad."


Without a phone in the Old House, it seems that the only way to reach Doctor Hoffman for an appointment is to wait until running into her in town, or to head up to the Old House.

Yeah," Maggie replies, biting her lip. "It'd be nice to go out."


"Great. It's a date. Meet you there at, say, seven tonight. Bring your dancing shoes." Burke pays for his coffee, leaving a big tip, and makes his exit with a wink. He doesn't wait for an acceptance.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:23 am

Mr. Handy wrote:Victoria knocks on the door.


The door opens the tiniest possible crack. One of the eyes of Willie Loomis can be seen peering through.

"There ain't nobody home. They all left on, uh, business. Come back tomorrow. Or next week, maybe."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Barnabas

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:34 am

Image

After her shift, Maggie makes sure there's some food for Sam, then gets dressed up to go out with Burke, eager for a night away from her thoughts.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests