The Trial of Angelique

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Jeremiah is impressed by Nathan's boldness in hunting down the predacious beast, willingness to pursue hard labor for his bread, and humble tone. He accepts Nathan's company on the short ride to court. "I may have sown a few wild oats in my day," he remarks. "Youth must have its folly." In response to Nathan's statement about Miss Winters, he agrees. "Indeed. I believe that even the maid servant accused of witchcraft was astonished by her skill. It is most curious that one who arrives from nowhere, as if dropped from the heavens, should possess such talents. Most curious, indeed."
Spoiler:
Am I mixing up Joshua and Jeremiah? Which one has the love for Victoria? That's the one he was hoping to speak to (although if they're both in court, he might be transporting them both). In any case, he replies, "[color=#000040]So many curious events of late.[/color]"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria is concerned by Jeremiah's appearance, certain that the defense intends to call him later in order to attack her. She is pleased about Joshua's reaction, sure that their prayers had had a positive effect on him.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am glad to hear it, Mr. Collins," Reverend Trask says to Joshua. "Please tell the court, in your own words, about what happened when we caught Ben Stokes stealing."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
Am I mixing up Joshua and Jeremiah? Which one has the love for Victoria? That's the one he was hoping to speak to (although if they're both in court, he might be transporting them both). In any case, he replies, "[color=#000040]So many curious events of late.[/color]"
Spoiler:
My error, actually. Ignore what was said before. Let's just say that Jeremiah accepts your company, and praises Miss Winters' virtues excessively whilst journeying to the court, but ceases once he enters the building, seeming to be in a slightly dazed state.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"It was a terrible thing," Joshua replies. "Once we accused him directly of sneaking about the servants' rooms, doubtlessly intent on thievery, with the threat of returning to prison hanging over his head, he trembled with fear. He said something about how he wanted to tell us why he was acting in this manner, but was unable to do so. He said something like 'She will kill me.' I do not recall the exact words. Then, as if struck down by an unseen bolt of lightning, he collapses at our feat, stone dead. Poor fellow. He was a felon and hardly trustworthy, but I did not wish such a fate for him."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Note that I was mixing up Joshua (the older) and Jeremiah (the younger) and that I have tried to revise previous postings to correct this.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria realizes that Jeremiah must now be free of the love spell that bound him. While she is glad that he is no longer under its influence, she is concerned about what that means for how we will regard her now.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Quite so," agrees Reverend Trask. "I know, for I was there and witnessed it myself. Can you think of any explanation other than witchcraft that would explain his sudden and mysterious death at precisely the moment after he said that 'she' would kill him?"
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Quite so," agrees Reverend Trask. "I know, for I was there and witnessed it myself. Can you think of any explanation other than witchcraft that would explain his sudden and mysterious death at precisely the moment after he said that 'she' would kill him?"
Joshua pauses for a moment.

"I do not put much credit in what has been termed the 'invisible world,' sir, but I cannot deny that the man was under the influence of another. As to whether this be witchery or mesmerism, I offer no opinion."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please tell the court what we did with the body afterward," says Reverend Trask.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: "Please tell the court what we did with the body afterward," says Reverend Trask.
"The fellow was given a simple but proper burial. As to the events which occurred after that, I cannot bear witness." Joshua seems a little disturbed by the possibility that he may be questioned about the unnatural resurrection and destruction of Ben Stokes, scraps of information regarding such, inaccurate as they may be, are in common circulation.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImageImage
Spoiler:
Nathan watches the procedings intently, though he is more interested to see what Jeremiah does than Joshua. He takes note of Victoria's presence and Josette's absence, but does not approach Victoria.
Spoiler:
With the trial back underway and capturing the attention of the town, Millicent pays another visit to Mr Jennings - he said that today he should know the truth about his fate, and she is eager to hear the news.
Spoiler:
While Josette is afraid to leave the house, she does not want to remain in her room, and spends the day in the drawing room, trying to interact with the servants as she did before, hoping that the ill mood around town has not overtaken her too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Where did we bury him?" asks Reverend Trask.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: "Where did we bury him?" asks Reverend Trask.
"Why, in the common boneyard, of course."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
a series of unexplained die rolls 0123456789
Whilst this line of questioning continues, a guard (that is to say, an ordinary laborer of the village, recruited for said duty under these unusual circumstances) bursts into the court, in a greatly agitated state.

"He's dead!" he cries, without preamble. "Tom. Was my turn to stand watch, and there he be, all blooded and still."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Before the outburst, you observe that Jeremiah often glances nervously in Victoria's direction, wiping his brow frequently thereafter.
Spoiler:
The servants are not openly surly, but perform their duties with a certain cold politeness.
Spoiler:
Millicent,You discover Jennings within his room, gathering his few possessions in some haste. He moves awkwardly, groaning in apparent pain now and then, but is able to perform such movements as are necessary.

"It is done," he says, not ceasing to prepare for leaving. "I cannot thank you enough. Now I must leave. Forget you ever knew me, for your own sake!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
Millicent,You discover Jennings within his room, gathering his few possessions in some haste. He moves awkwardly, groaning in apparent pain now and then, but is able to perform such movements as are necessary.

"It is done," he says, not ceasing to prepare for leaving. "I cannot thank you enough. Now I must leave. Forget you ever knew me, for your own sake!"
Spoiler:
"[color=#00BFBF]I don't understand! Please, there must be some way more to help you. Tell me what troubles you, I pray you.[/color]
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Where?" asks Nathan from the gallery in response to the intrusion.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
The servants are not openly surly, but perform their duties with a certain cold politeness.
Spoiler:
Josette responds with scupulous kindness, hoping that she can win them back over.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should recess again," says Reverend Trask. "I should like to take a look at the body and the scene. If this is the work of the werewolf, this proves conclusively that it is not anyone who lives in Collinsport, but rather some visitor. Mr. Collins was here in this courtroom at the time of the attack, so it could not possibly be he. We should look for tracks while they are fresh, and someone should bring dogs to find the scent."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”