The Trial of Angelique

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Chastened by the magistrate, Josette will not speak further aloud. Though with tears visible in her eyes, she whispers to Victoria, "He is not just protecting her, he means to implicate us! But why?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Nathan retires from the witness box.
Spoiler:
The next step, with which he can prompt Bradford if the lawyer does not see it, would be to obtain testimony on the uses witches can make of dolls. He also remarks, once to Bradford, and once to Jerimiah while taking too and from the courthouse, both times in an off-hand fashion, that it seems to him that it would be very foolish of Angelique to allow everyone to see her give Josette the music box if there was a sinister design behind it. OOC, if he had any sense, he'd be using what he discovered to seal Angelique's fate, and try regain favour with the Collins family by saving Barnabas from her clutches. But I'm picturing his choice as coloured by misogyny: he thinks getting Angelique acquitted while he holds back further evidence will put her in his power, which sates his ego; it doesn't occur to him that he might be wrong about that.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Maybe he was bewitched to actually believe that what he says is true," whispers Victoria, "but he should be free of it now."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"I do indeed," says Reverend Trask. "I would like to call Abigail Collins."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The lady named is all too eager to stand in the witness box. She takes the oath upon the Bible with a strong, resonant voice and awaits questioning. "There's much deviltry about, to be sure," she mutters.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Meanwhile, the attacks upon livestock resume. Despite the best efforts to secure henhouses and the like against predation, many a domestic beast is found viscously slain during the night. Those toilers of the soil bold enough to stand watch over their stock report howling in the darkness, but do not sight the animal. Instead, it appears to be wary enough of man to select easier prey, from those farm folk with neither time not inclination to stay awake all night with pistol in hand.

It is also a notable fact that the immediate area around Collinwood, formerly the site of the largest number of attacks, is now entirely free of them, as if something has driven the beast from these environs. The same cannot be same for all surrounding areas, beyond a certain distance from the estate.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"You are quite correct, good lady," says Reverend Trask. "First, did you witness the defendant give the music box to Miss DuPres?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Victoria watches the proceedings with interest.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Josette watches tensely, her hand in Victoria's. She fears now that should Angelique be acquitted, local suspicion may turn to one or both of them.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

His duty at the trial discharged for now, Nathan again volunteers to participate in the hunting of the beast. He chooses a farm in a heavily hit area, but which has not itself suffered too greatly - reasoning that the beast may attack there soon - and offers to wait up on guard with silver-loaded guns.
Spoiler:
If the creature is connected to the existing deviltry in the area, then he wants it dead before it can implicate Angelique, and thereby himself. Although the though of stopping it before it kills any more people is not entirely meaningless to him.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

After returning from the funeral, Millicent spends much time at the church, occupying herself with prayer for the people still afflicted by the beast.
Spoiler:
However a corner of her mind remains distracted by the thought of this man the Countess said would save her from danger - since there is of course danger about.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: "You are quite correct, good lady," says Reverend Trask. "First, did you witness the defendant give the music box to Miss DuPres?"
Spoiler:
Hmm. Looking back at the narration of that scene, it seems unlikely that she was present; I presume Angelique, guilty or innocent, would select a more private moment to give the music box, with few, if any, witnesses. I am open to other thoughts on the matter.
"No, sir, I cannot say that I was. I do not overly concern myself with the affairs of others--" there is brief chuckling from someone in the gallery at this contention "-- particularly if they be Papists or members of the servant class."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote: His duty at the trial discharged for now, Nathan again volunteers to participate in the hunting of the beast. He chooses a farm in a heavily hit area, but which has not itself suffered too greatly - reasoning that the beast may attack there soon - and offers to wait up on guard with silver-loaded guns.
The long vigil of Nathan Forbes takes place on a chill night, the surrounding woods silvered with moonlight. The livestock -- in this case, a small flock of sheep -- stir nervously. The watchman's only companion is a brave and loyal collie, of the breed oft employed in guarding the timid wool bearers.

The night passes slowly. Just before one would expect the first hint of dawn to appear in the east, the collie barks angrily at a rustling among the undergrowth. Then, moving with alarming speed, there approaches a figure resembling a beast of great size, but arrayed in rags and walking on two legs. It snarls and leaps!
Spoiler:
Base DEX of 9; I'll give 3 for military experience = 120
With a cooler head than most might have shown under similar circumstances, Nathan fires his weapon at the creature with deadly accuracy.
Spoiler:
damage1
The beast howls with pain as the precious silver strikes its body, but it hardly pauses in its attack. The resulting wound, it seems, is not as deep as one would hope. Remarkably, it even seems to heal before one's very eyes!
Spoiler:
The werewolf has the benefit of Fast Healing; 1 point healed right away, 1 point per hour thereafter. Its DEX = 152target: Nathan = 1, the dog = 2, one of the sheep = 33damage5(Bonus damage of 5 points; it's a tough opponent!)
With fangs and claws the monster slashes at its attacker, drawing much blood from a number of deep wounds. It then runs off into the surrounding woodland.
Spoiler:
I don't want to kill you off, so I'll assume, as a Lieutenant, you have the maximum hit points of a 3rd level Everyman = 18.
You still got badly injured.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote: After returning from the funeral, Millicent spends much time at the church, occupying herself with prayer for the people still afflicted by the beast.
During one such visit to the local chapel, Millicent notices a young man, of noble mien and fashionable dress, standing outside the church, as if deep in meditation; but he does not enter, standing just outside the entryway for quite some time, then withdrawing.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Quite understandable," says Reverend Trask. "Still, some of her behavior, such as her sin with Barnabas Collins, could not escape anyone's notice. What is your opinion of her character?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Hoping that the shock of being wounded - however negligible the effect turned out to be - will prevent it from returning, Nathan will try to find shelter for the rest of the night, either in the farmhouse if the shot has woken someone who might unbar the door, or an outhouse otherwise.

In the morning, he will ask to be conveyed back to town, in the hopes of both securing medical attention and sending a message to Reverend Trask that silver was ineffective against the werewolf. (He will also make note the farmers that their Collie is a fine beast who stood his ground during the attack).
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Millicent keeps an eye out for the young man's return. It would be forward to approach him, it is true, but on Church ground, surely there could be no harm in asking if he has come to pray for the poor townsfolk so afflicted by these terrible attacks...
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: "Quite understandable," says Reverend Trask. "Still, some of her behavior, such as her sin with Barnabas Collins, could not escape anyone's notice. What is your opinion of her character?"
Abigail sniffs a bit. "Common, I would say. Quite common, with airs above her station. A pretty face often conceals a wicked heart, I always say, and I've not been proved wrong in this case. Now that she's trapped my poor nephew in her web of paints and perfumes, there'll be no peace for him this side of the grave, you mark my words."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote:
Hoping that the shock of being wounded - however negligible the effect turned out to be - will prevent it from returning, Nathan will try to find shelter for the rest of the night, either in the farmhouse if the shot has woken someone who might unbar the door, or an outhouse otherwise.

In the morning, he will ask to be conveyed back to town, in the hopes of both securing medical attention and sending a message to Reverend Trask that silver was ineffective against the werewolf. (He will also make note the farmers that their Collie is a fine beast who stood his ground during the attack).
Sheltered throughout the rest of the night by the farm family, Nathan is assisted in reaching town the next morning, and supplied with the best possible medical care by a grateful populace. Her heroism regains him some of his former status among the townsfolk. He cannot prevent himself from hissing with pain as his wounds are scorched with a candle's flame, but he knows it may prevent the onset of fatal blood poisoning, which fears the caloric contained in fire.

It is true that a single silver bullet was of little effect against the beast's unnatural resistance to harm; but would continued use of such, in greater amount, be of greater use? One can only speculate.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote:
Millicent keeps an eye out for the young man's return. It would be forward to approach him, it is true, but on Church ground, surely there could be no harm in asking if he has come to pray for the poor townsfolk so afflicted by these terrible attacks...

Addressed in such manner, the young man, although hesitant at first, is moved by Millicent's gentle manner.

"I pray for myself, kind lady. Inquire no further, for my heart is full of sin, and I fear that I am doomed to perdition." He winces a bit as he speaks this last word, clutching at his chest. "Forgive me. An injury. It is nothing." He bows his head and takes his leave.
Post Reply

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest