The Trial of Angelique

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did she give you any instructions or commands, or make any requests of you?" asks Reverend Trask.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

As the trial continues, the bolder men of Collinsport form a hunting party, in order to stop the predations of the animal that has ravaged their stock, and now taken a human life. The consensus being that such savage attacks could only be the work of a catamount of prodigious size and evil temper, this is no small task. Among the members of the party is Barnabas Collins, hoping, no doubt, to restore some of his good reputation among the community, and perhaps to distract his mind from the ordeal of his wife.

The excursion is not a success. As the hunters make their way through the wild and tangled woods near Collinsport, several of them become separated from their fellows. In particular, Barnabas wanders lost and alone. He is discovered some time later, badly wounded and insensate, his pistol discharged, evidently to no effect upon the beast that attacked him. The hunters carry him back to the Old House with great care, as he seems not far from death's door. Informed of this tragedy by a sympathetic villager, Angelique, greatly distraught, cries for him to be brought to her.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Did she give you any instructions or commands, or make any requests of you?" asks Reverend Trask.
"None," replies Nathan simply.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Or perhaps the spell that made him lie has worn off by now."
"If that were so, he would surely confess it now."

If the news of Barnabas's injury reaches the courtroom, she will say, "I must go to him. Whatever history lies between us, he must know that I forgive him and wish him well."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Hearing of Barnabas's injury, Millicent goes to Joshua in the hopes of fostering a reconciliation between the two. "I know I am presuming in this, Uncle, for which I am sorry. And I know he has caused our family much sorrow. But I hear he is near death. If there is any corner of your heart that longs to call him son once more, as I would call him cousin, there may be but little time left for it to be so. If your heart remains hard, I beg your leave to at least attend him myself in the capacity of family."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Your Honors, I suspect that the beast behind these attacks may be a second vampire," says Reverend Trask. "I have experience in vampire hunting, having slain one already. Shall we recess so that I can lend what aid I can to Barnabas Collins and investigate the source of the attacks? If we can trace this vampire to its lair, I can slay it there during the daylight hours, when it sleeps. Like any predator, a vampire will have a hunting ground. We can plot the locations of all of the attacks on a map of the area. Its lair will most likely be somewhere near the center of them."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll go with you and help tend to his wounds," says Victoria to Josette.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

In light of this new emergency, the court orders a full day's recess, warning all persons present to remain in Collinsport until the trial is over.

The constable, respectful of Reverend Trask's skill and experience, directs the clergyman to the sites of the attacks. The first few, of course, occurred amongst the herds of local farmers. Being thought the work of a predatory animal, the carcasses of the stock slaughtered in this manner were made use of, when possible, or destroyed in the usual manner of deceased beasts. Thus, there is little evidence, although all the farmers agree that the bodies of the animals were ripped and torn, and there was much blood everywhere, but the flesh was not devoured.

The second attack, resulting in the death of the coachman, as well as of his steed, left evidence of a similar kind of attack, as did the nearly fatal attack on Barnabas. It may be noted that the driver and the horse died of loss of blood from multiple wounds, and that Barnabas is threatened by a similar fate, as shown by the large amount of blood found at each site.

In light of the tender protestations of Millicent, as well as the desperate state of Barnabas, Joshua Collins is reconciled with his son, and he joins all the other members of the family in soliciting the best possible medical care. This proves to be of little avail. The administration of strong red wine and beef broth restores his blood to some degree, but insufficiently to assure survival.

Peter Bradford makes frequent journeys between the Old House, where Barnabas lies nearly insensate, and the gaol, where Angelique remains imprisoned. He makes a general announcement to all involved, as well as to the court.

"My client wishes to have her husband brought to her, as well as certain healing herbs she possesses, currently stored in the pantry at her home. Having experience with the curative nature of curious flora found only in the West Indies, she wishes to be allowed to attempt to heal him; or, failing that, to hold him in her arms as he takes his last breath. I believe her request to be an entirely reasonable one, and suggest that Barnabas Collins be conveyed to her cell, the two of them to remain in privacy until either his health is restored, or his soul is conveyed to a better world."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImage

Josette and Millicent take their parts in the tending of Barnabas.

Nathan in contrast volunteers his services in the search for the beast, unless he is needed to convey his master to the courthouse.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I object to the defendant being left alone with Mr. Collins," says Reverend Trask. "Who knows what evil she can wreak, especially with access to her herbs? The beast is not a vampire after all, it seems. The vampire attacks left no blood, as it was careful not to spill and waste it. But this could be the work of a werewolf. The bestial nature of the attacks fits. Fortunately, silver is effective against werewolves as well, especially so. Mr. Forbes and I still have our silver daggers. Filling a blunderbuss with silver would make it an effective weapon. If someone has the skill, silver could be cast as musket or pistol balls as well. Let us find a map of the area and put a mark on the location of each attack to determine where we are to hunt the predator."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Moving Mr. Collins further may worsen his injuries and hinder his chances of recovery," says Victoria. "Perhaps I can help him. I have some skills as a nurse."
Spoiler:
If I can, I'd like to use Cure Light Wounds on [b]Barnabas[/b].
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is no difficult task to create a map of the known attacks, these all being within two or three miles of Collinsport proper. Drawn thus, they form a semicircle about the seaside village. As best as can be deduced, the beast appears to make its home within the town itself, or very close by. Those few of skeptical nature left in Collinsport are now at least willing to admit the existence lycanthropes, and the requested silver weaponry is prepared by skilled artisans, at no little expense.

Although melancholy at his inability to be brought to the side of his wife, Barnabas recovers to a slight degree, able to speak weakly, although not to rise from the sickbed. His sustenance is limited to nourishment of a liquid nature, which he imbibes in small sips. Remarkably, it is the ministrations of Miss Winters that are most helpful. Displaying surprisingly strong will in this situation, she has even managed to convince the physician not to drain bile and phlegm from the patient, although this would be the standard way to restore the balance of the humors after loss of blood. Instead, she has insisted on preparing thick liquids from such produce as spinach and beetroot, claiming that these contain a substance vital to the building of blood within the body.

"Most unorthodox," the physician remarks to those gathered about, "but effective, it seems. If this be sorcery, it is of a benign sort."

There are many who take note of his words.

A few days of hunting fails to locate any such creature as might be capable of these savage attacks. By this time, some of the hunters instead draw their attention to deer, rabbits, and other such harmless game. This is not the most efficient use of silver ammunition.

The court is anxious for trail to resume, inquiring if Reverend Trask has any other questions to put to the witness.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImage

Josette and Millicent are both much taken with Victoria's knowledge.

Having faced an actual vampire, Nathan is scathing of those who waste their silver ammunition on mundane animals. He refuses to discuss Angelique with the Reverend should the latter attempt to do so, saying it would not be right to do so outside the courtroom while the trial is still ongoing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask prays prior to the start of the proceedings, in the hopes of finally overcoming the evil that oppresses the courtroom. "Yes, I do have further questions for the witness," he says, approaching the stand. "Mr. Forbes, as the manservant of the defendant and her husband, you have had ample opportunity to observe them, correct?"
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria knows that she has drawn attention to herself by healing Barnabas, but she had to help him as best she could. She prays along with the Reverend to help him exorcise any evil spirits or spells in the courtroom.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"That is correct," says Nathan.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette returns to the court with Victoria. Before she leaves, though she tells Barnabas in as much privacy as she can, "It gladdens my heart that Victoria's ministrations have been beneficial to you. I cannot offer anything similar, but in the hopes that my words may be a balm of another kind, I can swear that you need never doubt that I have forgiven you for the pain that passed between us. I wish you well in all ways."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Millicent remains at the new manor, supervising the servants in continuing Victoria's treatment.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Let's try the Exorcism spell again, with a Faith point from Josette to reroll, if necessary. Resisted on a roll less than 11.0Reroll1
Although it requires all the power of faith Reverend Trask can muster, with the invaluable assistance of the prayers of two women of undeniable virtue, it can be felt that, at last, all trace of the influence of unnatural evil has been removed from the courtroom.
Spoiler:
Since you are not actually under a spell of any kind, this does not change your behavior.
When Josette approaches Barnabas at his sickbed, he manages to croak out a few words, before lapsing back into troubled slumber.

"We shall be together, if not in this life . . ."

The words trail off into silence.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Given your observations of them," says Reverend Trask, pleased that the oppressive shroud of evil has at last been lifted, "how do you judge that the defendant feels about her husband?"
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”