Into the Crypt

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Into the Crypt

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:10 am

Reverend Trask, well prepared indeed, makes plan to enter the Collins mausoleum, having been informed of the method by which the secret chamber may be entered. He has quite rightly excluded any ladies from this gruesome chore; but should he request the aid of any particular man or men? Even in daylight, there may be some risk. There is safety in numbers, it is said; but should others be also exposed to the possible dangers of entry into the vampire's lair, if so it be?
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby SunlessNick » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:29 pm

I could take on the role of a Collins manservant for the duration?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:18 pm

Image

Reverend Trask requests the aid of Lt. Forbes, now that he has been released from prison. "No one would think any less of you if you did not want to face this fiend," he says, explaining his belief that the murderer is a vampire. "However, this will give you the opportunity to avenge yourself upon the one who both murdered Suki Forbes and left you to take the blame unjustly. Your skills as a military man would be most welcome." He has assembled a vampire-hunting arsenal: crucifixes, holy water, a silver dagger, several wooden stakes and a couple of mallets to pound them in, and torches to provide both light and fire.

Spoiler:
Ben Stokes is dead, but maybe you can play Nathan Forbes. He is also technically a Collins manservant now.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Image

Victoria wears a crucifix around her neck at all times, and she has developed a taste for garlic.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:21 am

SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
I could take on the role of a Collins manservant for the duration?

Spoiler:
OK by me. Everyman character class, if just a servant, or, if Nathan Forbes, a Libertine.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:36 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
Victoria wears a crucifix around her neck at all times, and she has developed a taste for garlic.


Although this behavior merits only indifference from most of the household, it wins approval from Cook ("At last, someone 'round here who don't turn up a nose at decent vittles.") and Josette, a pious member of the Roman church. It only amuses the Countess, who is apparently a freethinker, and believes that garlic will, at least, kill the taste of American cookery.

Abigail Collins, however, does not approve.

"Fancy tastes for a servant girl," she says, seeing Victoria enjoy a stew heavily flavored with the fragrant bulb. "And such may be proper for French folk," she continues, pointing at the crucifix, "but such Popery is not fit for New Englanders."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby SunlessNick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Image

Josette already wore a crucifix, but joins Victoria in her newfound taste for garlic. She does not respond to the religious snub, but defends Victoria against the slight on her class: "A servant she may be, but one entrusted with the most precious of all tasks for any family. There is surely no harm in indulging her a little in recognition of that."


Image

Millicent spends her days at the manor, waiting for the embarassment of the trial and broken engagement to die down before rejoining society.


Image

Nathan Forbes is surprised to say the least that Reverend Trask would come to him - nevertheless he is not blind to the fact that he Reverend bears the most responsibility for his aquittal. His acknowledgement of this fact betrays no little bitterness, however: "I suppose I must repay your effort in saving me from the gallows. I am sure my new master can do without me for as long as it takes to aid you."

Spoiler:
Barnabas is the vampire is probably the best known thing about Dark Shadows, unless you've changed it up of course :). Barnabas disappearing may well see him back in debtor's prison, while helping to protect the vampire's secret may indebt the vampire for a later favour - if the vampire does turn out to be Barnabas, and Nathan sees the above option as feasible, he may betray Reverend Trask - however, if he thinks Barnabas would kill him for knowing, then he'll help Trask.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:52 am

Image

"Yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table," says Victoria in a humble tone, quoting the woman whose daughter had a devil in the Gospels. "The cross was a gift. It would be impolite not to wear it."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:11 am

Image

"Thank you," says Reverend Trask, shaking Nathan's hand. "Do not think yourself obligated to me on account of my testimony on your behalf. I would not insist that you risk your life if it is not what you wish to do. If you are sure you wish to come with me, we will enter the crypt shortly after dawn. That will give us the most daytime. I will provide all you need: a crucifix, some holy water, a silver dagger like mine, a torch, wooden stakes and a mallet, and garlic. A crossbow would also be an effective weapon, as the bolts are essentially wooden stakes. You'd just have to hit the vampire in the heart with it." He explains what he told the ladies about a vampire's powers and vulnerabilities.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:46 am

Image

"Well... if your conclusions are correct, outlandish as they may sound, then it is this "vampire" I have to thank for landing me in the dock to begin with. I would not wish to miss the opportunity to thank him properly."

Spoiler:
I imagine it would not escape the Reverend's notice that avenging Suki herself does seem to have entered the Lieutennant's mind.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:49 am

The two bold adventurers enter the mausoleum. There are three sepulchers within, unused as of now, into which members of the Collins family will be laid to rest when they have shuffled off this mortal coil, as the Bard has it. Having been informed as to the secret chamber that lies beyond these, Reverend Trask pulls the circle of iron that lies within the carved jaws of a lion's head. The room beyond opens with a loud creak. There, as suspected, is a coffin.

Spoiler:
die rolls
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 2d20:
8, 20


Spoiler:
You notice something else odd in the room, but your companion does not, being too intent on his grisly chore. Hidden under some loose stones is what appears to be a large book.


All is quiet. If there is an occupant within the coffin, whosoever it may be appears to be at rest. It remains to be seen who shall choose to lift its heavy lid, while his companion readies himself to face whatever they may find.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:38 am

Image

Forbes shrugs and sets to raising the lid.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:24 am

Image

Reverend Trask stands ready with a torch in his left hand and a silver dagger in his right in case the vampire is inside the coffin and awakens when the lid is opened. If it is inside and remains asleep, he can then get the mallet and a stake ready. He has his crucifix and a string of garlic around his neck.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:39 pm

Within the coffin lies the body of the manservant Ben Stokes, his ragged clothing torn and filthy, blood clotted around his lips. There is no sign of life.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Image

Reverend Trask knows that the blood around the lips is a telltale sign of a vampire having fed, and he knows that Stokes hadn't been buried in the crypt, for he had helped bury him himself. Placing his torch in a holder and sheathing his dagger, he takes out a mallet and a wooden stake and moves quietly to drive the stake through Ben Stokes's heart.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Image

Forbes holds the lid in place so the Reverend can work.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm

The stake descends in its grisly chore, releasing thick, nearly black blood from the heart of the undead Stokes. At the same moment, his eyes open wide, revealing them to be glowing red orbs. He opens his mouth, allowing a clear view of two gore-stained canines, greatly extended in length. With a last gasp, driven by the arcane force that sustains this grotesque parody of life, he croaks a few final words.

"Couldn't help . . . she done it."

Then, as if several days have passed by in a moment, the lifeless body appears half-rotted, as one would expect from a corpse that has lain in the ground for a period of time.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Image

"Is that it then?" asks Forbes.



Image

Meanwhile, Millicent goes in search of the countess DuPres... "Good evening your ladyship. I... you must be aware of the troubles that have beset me lately. Not unlike what your poor daughter has had to face. I have been unsure when and how I should rejoin society in search of a better match than Na... than Lieutennant Forbes. I have heard of you reading your cards for Miss Winters, and I came in the hopes that you might be willing to do the same for me."



Image

... and Josette is staring out of the window in the direction of the crypt, holding her crucifix in her fingers, anxious as to the outcome of the Reverend's mission.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Image

"That is the end of the vampire," says Reverend Trask, "though this is not yet over. You may close the lid now. There is still the matter of the 'she' he mentioned. While Ben Stokes lived, he was a thief who was compelled to serve a witch, stealing personal items from people's rooms so she could work her magic on them. When he was confronted with his thefts, he refused to speak, saying that 'she' would kill him - and then he died, from more witchcraft. Not content to leave his bones to rest, she must have somehow transformed him into a vampire, cursed to roam the night and drink the blood of the living. I believe that this witch is none other than Angelique." He tells Nathan about what he has discovered in his investigations, particularly the music box that had nearly caused Josette to take her own life. "We must confront her and put an end to her before she discovers that her servant has been destroyed. We shall gather witnesses and evidence, and hold a trial. Perhaps this book hidden in the vampire's lair will offer further information." He moves the stones aside and retrieves the hidden book.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Into the Crypt

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 pm

Image

Victoria remains by Josette's side, also watching anxiously.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39581
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Next

Return to Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests