The Ghost Lights

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Reverend Trask spend much of the journey in prayer and making sure that nothing supernatural disturbs the voyage.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The next leg of the languid voyage of the Lark carries the vessel to the the village of Portland (recently rechristened thus, after having been known as Falmouth before that community was destroyed by the Royal Navy during the recent War of Independence.) An obscuring fog renders visibility nearly nonexistent, and the inexperienced crew must needs rely upon a signal light, barely detectable in the heavy mist, to guide them into port.

Whilst the risky entry into Portland harbor proceeds, Miss Winters seeks the hiding place of young Sarah.
Spoiler:
still haven't figured out the new dice system, so 2d20, based on INT 9 and WIS 10: 16, 17
This proves to be of more difficulty than one might expect, the cramped interior of the Lark, as well as the jumble of mail and other such small cargo therein, creating, if one will allow, a sort of seagoing labyrinth, containing many passages through which only a person of small size may pass.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Unable to fit in the small spaces, Victoria realizes that she cannot find Sarah and has no choice but to wait for her to reappear.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Reverend Trask remains on deck observing the approach to Portland harbor, praying that the fog will clear and keeping his eyes open for any hazards.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The inexperienced crew approach the harbor light with great caution; handsomely, as seafaring men say. All would seem well, until, with a sudden impact that sends all aboard falling to the deck, the Lark crashes into an unsuspected obstacle. The gleeful shouting of men alerts their unlucky victims to the truth; the vessel has been misled in its approach by a false light, and the Lark is about to be boarded by wreckers, those vile predators of the coastline, who lure ships to their doom that they may avail themselves of their cargo, at the cost of the lives of their passengers.

Amongst the chaos, one high-pitched voice rises above the others, that of young Sarah.

"Help! Barnabas! Miss Winters! Save me!"
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"I'm coming, Sarah!" calls Victoria, racing toward the sound of her voice. "Keep calling out so I can find you!"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Following the anguished cries of the girl, while struggling to stay on her feet as the Lark sways madly back and forth, the sound of cracking timbers filling the mist-haunted air, Victoria discovers Sarah cowering in a corner of the hold, behind a barrel of drinking water, shivering. Upon seeing her governess, she runs to her and embraces her with more fear than affection.

"Barnabas! Where is Barnabas?"
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"I don't know," says Victoria, hugging Sarah back. "I didn't even know he was aboard until you called out for him. We'll find him together. Where was he hiding?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Prepare to repel boarders!" shouts Reverend Trask. "Arm yourselves." He relies on Nathan's naval experience and leadership to organize the sailors.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 pm
"I don't know," says Victoria, hugging Sarah back. "I didn't even know he was aboard until you called out for him. We'll find him together. Where was he hiding?"
Spoiler:
Die roll for Sarah's WIS; still don't have that tab here when I quote (or just reply): 1d20: 1
"I . . . I recall now," the child says, having been calmed somewhat by the presence of her beloved governess. Taking Miss Winter's hand in her own tiny one, she leads her down into the deepest and darkest corner of the ship's hold, which, due to the vessel's impact with the rocks, is now half-full of seawater. There, his head barely out of the water, lies Barnabas, trapped beneath a fallen timber. He reaches out his hand for help. Sarah gasps in fear.
Spoiler:
Let's see if she faints, since she's probably a True Innocent. CHA must be 12 or so. 1d20: 20. That'll do it.
Seeing her brother in such a desperate condition, the poor girl drops into the water, insensate.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:26 pm

"Prepare to repel boarders!" shouts Reverend Trask. "Arm yourselves." He relies on Nathan's naval experience and leadership to organize the sailors.
Spoiler:
Let's see how many wreckers and how many sailors. Highway come in packs of 2-8, so 2d4 for both I guess, wreckers first: 2d4 twice: 2, 4 = 6 wreckers; 3,4 sailors = 7. All wreckers armed; let's see how many sailors are armed, 2d4 again: 4,4 = 8. Odds in your favor (actually ten defenders, with Trask and Forbes.)

The wreckers approach, each man equipped with either pistol or cutlass.
Spoiler:
Let's see how many of each weapon. 1d7 (I can do this online) for number of pistols = 6, therefore one with cutlass.
Same for your armaments (I'll assume Forbes is armed, but Trask normally goes unarmed, so 9 weapons among the 8 sailors, although you might pick up a weapon if you like.) 1d9 for number of pistols = 8, so one fellow has both pistol and cutlass.
Seeing that they outnumber the invaders both in numbers and weaponry, although only by a small margin, the sailors prepare to defend their vessel.

"Surrender 'er and be off with ye," one of the wreckers yells. "Or fight and be slain, or drown as yer ship goes down to Davey Jones."
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Help!" calls Victoria, pulling Sarah out of the water and trying to use smelling salts to revive her. Then she tries to help Barnabas.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Reverend Trask has his silver dagger, but he will also grab a spare weapon if one is available. "We have passengers!" he calls. "Give us time to get them safely to shore!"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:11 am
"Help!" calls Victoria, pulling Sarah out of the water and trying to use smelling salts to revive her. Then she tries to help Barnabas.
The sailor who held both pistol and cutlass displays a temperament more sensitive to the distress of females than his fellows, perhaps, as he places both weapons near Reverend Trask, suspecting that even a man of the cloth, in dire circumstances, may have need of such, while he rushes down in the cargo hold, which is rapidly filling up with seawater. Comprehending the situation at once, he aids Miss Winters and the newly roused Sarah in pulling Barnabas from the water, assisting all three in reaching the deck. The situation may be, as the ancient adage has it, merely a movement from the frying pan into the fire, given the impending release of the dogs of war.

"I might carry the little one to shore," the sailor says, his low whisper barely audible over the shouts of the invaders, "tho' 'tis but a chancy thing. Or else I'll stay and fight as best I may, as you wish, miss."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

One of the wreckers, possibly the leader of the vile crew, considers the offer, glancing at those emerging from the hold.

"Tell ya what I'll do, churchman," he says with a grin. "Send that pretty doxy of yours over here to keep company with my boys, and we'll let ya go. We'll find a use for her, won't we, lads?"

There are lusty cheers and rude comments from the others.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"We will do nothing of the sort, you wicked men!" shouts Reverend Trask, taking up the pistol and giving the cutlass back to the sailor when he emerges from the hold. "You sons of Belial are on your way to hell! Unless you repent quickly, we shall send you there forthwith! There are more of us than there are of you, and we have the Lord on our side!"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"I think it's too risky to take her to shore," says Victoria. "Our best chance is to fight and win, and that's a better chance if you're fighting alongside us. If Barnabas and I arm ourselves, even if it's just with a belaying pin, our chances are better still. Even Sarah should have something to defend herself, though she should stay out of the fight if possible. I'll stay with her to help protect her."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3124
Registered for: 3 years 11 months
3
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
Time for a big battle! Since, by coincidence, there is only one cutlass on each side, we'll start with a one-on-one sword fight, a la Errol Flynn. The heroic sailor vs the leader of the wreckers, both dex 9, in that order: 2d20 Both succeed in wounding the other; let' see how bad.2d20 Ignore that; wrong dice! Try again:2d6
Emboldened by the arrogant nature of the wrecker commander, and the insult he renders to womanhood, the sailor who rescued the innocents from the wrath of the sea leaps forward to confront the fellow. Their blades clash with the angry sound of metal against metal. Each combatant score a glancing blow against the other, doing little save to enflame their mutual hatred.

Meanwhile, those armed with less personal, albeit less reliable, weapons, join in battle.
Spoiler:
5 pistols for the wreckers, 10 for the defenders (with Forbes' own.) Dex of 9 all around, and we'll presume the pl;ayers get the lowest rolls. Wreckers fire first, then defenders. 15d2015d20 1 damage for the wreckers, five for the defenders 6d6:6d6
As fate would have it, one of the wreckers proves to be a deadly shot, his bullet penetrating the eye of a sailor and sending him lifeless to the deck. Not to be outdone, both Nathan and Reverend Trask strike at the invaders with force nearly as fatal, their shots each striking a wrecker in the chest. The men fall into the sea, and are unlikely to return. Three of the sailors also wound their enemies, but not in so severe a fashion, one such being, as they say with some exaggeration, a mere scratch.

This carnage is sufficient to drive the wreckers back, deserting their leader for the relative safety of the shore. That selfsame fellow and his opponent, blinded by blood lust, continue their individual duel, heedless of what is happening around them.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Reverend Trask reloads his pistol, in case it is needed.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40772
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
14
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Victoria tries to do what she can for the sailor that was shot, though it may be too late.

Using Cure Light Wounds, if it's not too late.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Post Reply

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest