The Ghost Lights

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:43 pm

"It would have some cost, yes," says Victoria. "Of course, your family certainly has wealth. If you did wish to visit Boston...out of curiosity, perhaps they could be persuaded to let you go if you were properly escorted. I could accompany you as well, if you wished. I'm sure it would be very educational."
"Oh, I should not think to put you to such trouble, Miss Winters. 'Tis merely the idle chatter of a silly girl. Shall we return to our studies?"

Such eagerness for learning has not often been noticed coming from the lass.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Very well," says Victoria, though she is sure Sarah's interest in Boston is more than idle. She will have to ask Barnabas about it when she gets a chance.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Reverend Trask goes to examine and bless the ships, hoping to prove one way or the other whether this is merely a natural phenomenon or if there is something supernatural involved.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:22 pm
'
"Very well," says Victoria, though she is sure Sarah's interest in Boston is more than idle. She will have to ask Barnabas about it when she gets a chance.
This proves to be more difficult than one might imagine, as Barnabas Collins has not been seen for some days, nor have those bold enough to inquire at the Old House received any response to their knocks.

Knowing of the great affection between brother and sister, it is only natural that Miss Winters should, at an auspicious moment, make casual inquiry to her charge as to the wellbeing of her sibling.

"I am certain he is well, and no one need worry about him," the girl replies, with seeming lack of concern.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:25 pm

Reverend Trask goes to examine and bless the ships, hoping to prove one way or the other whether this is merely a natural phenomenon or if there is something supernatural involved.
The blessings of the ships, a ritual not unfamiliar to seafaring men, appears to intensify the phenomenon, with the eerie spectral lights dancing about the rigging as if in a state of agitation. If only the late Doctor Franklin were here to behold such a sight!
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Millicent is quite taken with the ivory scrimshaw, wondering the material comes from that unusual horned whale known as the narwhal. If no one else desires to take possession of it, she will keep it as an ornament.

Otherwise, she remains solicitous in her tending of her Daniel, and grateful to Nathan for saving him a second time.


Image

Nathan for his part laughs off the praise, as Daniel turned out to be safe enough when he was found. However, he willing to take Millicent out on walks around the grounds whenever she needs time away from her brother.


Image

Josette is thankful to Victoria for her care, and full of talk about the heroic sailor who rescued her - and several of his fellows as well - from the quicksand. Victoria will no doubt be pleased at how her spirits have lifted since the dark days of Angelieque's machinations.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Has he gone on a journey?" asks Victoria to Sarah. "Perhaps he has gone to Boston."

Victoria is pleased that Josette is happier. She had been hoping that Josette and Barnabas would end up together, but she realizes that Josette may want to seek her own happiness with someone else and is happy for her. She hopes that Barnabas is happy too, wherever he may be.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"The St. Elmo's Fire definitely appears to be supernatural in nature," pronounces Reverend Trask, "but it appears to be positive. Otherwise the blessing would not have intesified it. Still, I shall pray to make certain that the ships are free of any evil."
Spoiler:
Using Exorcism on the ships.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The inhabitants of the New House discover an anonymous note, written in an inelegant hand, left in the same place as the scrimshaw.

Lady, hope gift was not presumtus

In response to Miss Winter's statement concerning her brother, Sarah makes no reply, but appears engaged in her schoolwork.

At the harbor, the captains of the affected vessels report a feeling of increased well-being after Reverend Trask's ceremony. However, the common sailors, noting that Saint Elmo's Fire (if such it be) still roils restlessly upon the masts, refuse to come aboard. A crisis in the shipping industry threatens.
Spoiler:
Very busy so just a brief visit.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am The inhabitants of the New House discover an anonymous note, written in an inelegant hand, left in the same place as the scrimshaw.

Lady, hope gift was not presumtus
ImageImageImage

Millicent frowns at this, as it implies the scrimshaw was meant for someone in particular. She asks Nathan's advice about what to do, and between them they reason that it might have been from the sailor to Josette, given events during the search and that the writer of the note seemed to regard the recipient of a higher status than themselves.

Millicent seeks Josette out and gives her the figure, saying that it must rightfully be hers.

A grateful Josette is also taken with the figure. While she thinks it may not be entirely proper, she leaves a note under a stone in the same place, saying that the gift was delightful and that she was touched to receive it.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Victoria continues to teach Sarah, not sure how to get her to open up about her plans.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Reverend Trask seeks out Nathan Forbes, as he is a nautical man, to enlist his aid in convincing the sailors that it's safe to board the ships.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

After some time passes, another object is discovered in the selfsame location. It consists of two short pieces of slender rope, each tied in a loose overhand knot, the pair intertwined in such a way that, were one to pull them taut, they would become inseparable.

At the harbor, word spreads that Trask and Forbes wish to demonstrate the safety of boarding and operating the affected ships. After some discussion, it appears that the most practical example at hand would be the Lark, a small packet boat bound for Boston with mail and such light cargo. The captain, a young man of no great experience with his first command, anxious to demonstrate his abilities, is ready to accept anyone aboard who wishes to serve as crew; the number of such needed not being very great.

Word having in some manner reached young Sarah of this situation -- an apt demonstration of the ancient adage regarding small jugs and wide ears -- she shyly makes inquiry of her governess.

"Do you think it would be very wicked for one to ask to be borne upon that boat?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Josette ponders how to respond to this new gesture, she seeks out her aunt for advice. "I assume you have heard the talk of the mermaid figure that was left here. At first Millicent took possession of it, but when the note followed it, she came to believe that it was left for me, by the man who rescued me from the quicksand - true to her nature she passed it on to me immediately. I shared her opinion, and left a reply to say that I was touched by the gesture, which is no more than the truth. Now this has arrived." She shows the countess the knotted strings, and shows her what may be done with them. "I do not know whether to regard it as a profession of friendship or something more. And..." - she blushes slightly as she continues - "when I consider if it may be the latter, I find my heart quickening. Despite our difference in station, he is a brave and fine man. I do not know what I should do."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by SunlessNick »

Image

Nathan is of course willing to take part in the Reverend's experiment, though he confesses to Millicent that days spend away from her will weigh heavy.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"It would only be wicked if you went aboard without getting your father's permission to go," says Victoria. "It does no harm to ask him. I can accompany you to help persuade him, and I can go with you aboard the boat to look after you."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Reverend Trask is pleased to go on a trip to Boston aboard the Lark, and he helps Nathan to recruit willing crew.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:34 pm

Josette ponders how to respond to this new gesture, she seeks out her aunt for advice. "I assume you have heard the talk of the mermaid figure that was left here. At first Millicent took possession of it, but when the note followed it, she came to believe that it was left for me, by the man who rescued me from the quicksand - true to her nature she passed it on to me immediately. I shared her opinion, and left a reply to say that I was touched by the gesture, which is no more than the truth. Now this has arrived." She shows the countess the knotted strings, and shows her what may be done with them. "I do not know whether to regard it as a profession of friendship or something more. And..." - she blushes slightly as she continues - "when I consider if it may be the latter, I find my heart quickening. Despite our difference in station, he is a brave and fine man. I do not know what I should do."
Spoiler:
For clarity, note that the Countess is actually Josette's aunt; her mother is deceased. I have edited your post to reflect this.
"I am pleased that you have come to me with the concerns of your heart, my child," the Countess tells Josette. "Ah, l'amour! When I think of the old days, when your late uncle and I were young, before we had to flee Paris or lose our heads! I am afraid that golden time is lost forever.

"Forgive me. We were discussing the little love gifts left for you." She examines the strings. "Yes, the lover's knot, symbol of two hearts bonded together for eternity. A bold gesture, yet the bearer dare not approach you.

"Let us ask the cards." She shuffles the Tarot deck, selecting a pair to place side by side on the table. "The Page of Wands for the man, I think, and the Queen of Pentacles for you. Let us see what the future holds.

Closing her eyes, she pulls two cards out at random and places them next to the others, face down.

"Shall we hope for the Lovers, my child?" she asks with a smile. She reveals the first card.

Image

"The Two of Cups. A good sign. It symbolizes a strong bond between two persons." She reveals the other.

Image

"The Three of Swords. That is not so gentle a card, I am afraid. There will be conflict and sorrow, involving three persons and a broken heart.

"Be brave, my child. The cards warn us and guide us, but it is we who make our future."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

In conference with Joshua Collins, that gentleman agrees that a brief ocean voyage, never far from shore, would be of great value to his young daughter. Naomi Collins is not persuaded of the wisdom of this decision, and expresses much distress at having her child taken away from her, even for a short period of time. Naturally, the opinion of the patriarch takes precedence, and Naomi seeks solace in the form of sherry.

The presence of females aboard the Lark causes nearly as much reluctance to board her among the seafaring men as does the curious presence of Saint Elmo's fire on her masts. This being the case, after much effort, the only sailors willing to come aboard are a few very young persons, of little experience, ready to accept any position offered to them.

With fair weather, and allowing for stops here and there along the coast to receive and deposit mail and other light goods, it is expected that the voyage from Collinsport to Boston should require about a week's time. Passengers should expect minimal accommodation, and should carry such items as will be thought to be required on their persons.

The first day of the voyage is unremarkable, and the modest distance from Collinsport to Rockland is traversed over a calm sea. The continuing presence of the pale glowing lights draws much comment. Of lesser import, perhaps, but of some concern to Miss Winters, is the remarkable skill displayed by young Sarah in disappearing from sight for several minutes at a time, and returning from unsuspected hiding places aboard the Lark.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40478
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Victoria ends up playing an impromptu game of hide and go seek with Sarah, trying to keep a close eye on her and trying to figure out where she is hiding when she disappears.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Post Reply

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest