Chapter 7: Night Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mr. Handy »

Spoiler:
I'm liking [b]Isolde[/b]'s fire idea. What skill would we use to smash a lit lantern on it?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
Throw, with +30 bonus.
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Vic watches in horror as the creatures smashes the shotgun to pieces with apparent ease. She still has the poker but can’t see an opening to use it that won’t expose her to mortal danger. She wished she had Lord Armstrong’s elephant gun!

“What are we going to do?!” she cries.
Spoiler:
As Icarus is in front, I presume Vic hasn’t seen the bone yet?
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
Alexander shot Icarus as he was moving towards Forby – all of the companions were in the same position, so Vic would have seen the effect of the shotgun blasts. But then Icarus turned and is attacking Alexander at the moment, Vic cannot see his back but she is free to attack him. She can move behind him to do so. The poker can do 1d4 damage.
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Vic resolves to try and do something about the situation. She turns and runs off to the side, putting distance between herself and Icarus.

Once clear, she runs around behind him, trying to approach unnoticed, and stabs him in the back with the poker, where the white of bone gleams against the verdigris’d bronze...
Spoiler:
To hit (Poker - 25%) - [dice]0[/dice] Damage - [dice]1[/dice] Edit - oh crap... :(
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, you missed!
The poker glances off the bronze armour of the statue.
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Posts: 3413
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by aine »

Isolde is desperate to help her companions who are in dire straits. If she can only distract the statue for a moment. She had heard Harry’s convoluted conversation, does that mean...? She shouts in her loudest, deepest voice,
“Christopher Lehman! This is Nicholas Forby here, why have you just woken me ? Why are you dancing around with those pointless people? Come here where I can see you!”
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] I don’t know whether it’s fast talk 25 or persuade 40. But with that roll I only get close with library anyway - Maybe I should throw a book at it? Sorry chaps; good luck!
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

”Damn it!” swore Vic, in language most unbecoming for a young lady!
Spoiler:
Did Icarus notice the attack?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry steps towards Icarus.We can help you Christopher, break this curse.'
Spoiler:
[color=#008000]'The pain, it is too much..'[/color]
'You don't need to fight us, we're here to help. We don't want to hurt you.' He takes another step forward.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

“What’s going on?”

Isolde looks around to see George beside her. The noise has awoken him.

“Who’s outside?”



“AAAAAAAAAGH!!!”

The scream comes out of nowhere. Suddenly a slight figure has launched itself at the statue, bearing some sort of club. It strikes the statue directly in the back, causing it to topple over onto its front.

Old Fred stands dead still, a brutish-looking cudgel in his hands. His eyes are quite mad, and his teeth are bared in a ferocious grimace. Spittle flecks his cheeks, and he is breathing heavily.

The statue starts to push itself up again.


Spoiler:
Cudgel 65: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845251]Cudgel[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]9[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845255]Cudgel damage[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]3[/b] Fred was roused by all the noise. He's gone temporarily insane from the sight of the walking statue, but he managed to strike a vital blow, knocking the statue over.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Spoiler:
Can Harry do something stupid like try and restrain the statue, say with a Grapple - doubt that would go well but might fit with his psychosis - treating Icarus like it's a person and trying not to hurt it
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
Okay. Everyone has an action for this round while Icarus is down, and Harry is first. You can roll Grapple.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry shouts 'Step away Fred'. He approaches the prone Icarus saying 'Christopher, we don't want to hurt you, but you must stop fighting us'.

Harry climbs on top of the green statue and seems to try and restrain its monstrous arms and head. 'There, there Christopher, shh now, relax'.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Mephistophilis on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Contrary to any claims made by Harry, Vic took advantage of Icarus’ prone status to dart in and bring the poker down on the exposed bone once again.
Spoiler:
Poker (25%) - [dice]0[/dice] Damage - [dice]1[/dice]
Last edited by Philulhu on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Posts: 3413
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by aine »

“Come away, George, it’s horrid!” She takes the boy’s shoulders and spins him back into the room. “Your father and the others are fighting a fierce creature; I’m afraid it might be a rabid bear escaped from a circus, your father is being very brave but we must go and look after your mother; I’m afraid she’s been very frightened. Come on, let’s find her!” Isolde takes George’s hand and pulls him to the door.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Vic tries to strike the statue but cannot, due to Harry laying atop it.

Old Fred has no such qualms. Intent on his adversary, he cares not for who gets in the way.

As he swings his cudgel down though, his foot slips and he falls over backwards, the cudgel falling to the ground.
Spoiler:
[url=https://orokos.com/roll/845381]Cudgel[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]98[/b]


Outside the bedroom door, Isolde is met by Gertrude.

“Have you seen what’s going on outside?” she says, eyes wild. Harry and Bates are barricading the door in case it tries to get in.”

Her eyes fall on George.

“We should look for a place to hide.”
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Harry, get off of it!" calls Alexander, raising his lantern. If Harry gets safely off of the statue's back, Alexander will take his lit lantern and smash it down on the statue.
Spoiler:
Throw roll (25% + 30 = 55% skill) to smash the statue with the lantern: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

The statue knocks Harry aside and rises to its feet. As it does so, Alexander throws the lantern which smashes over its shoulders. The burning oil coats the figure, flickering with a green light, but does not have any immediate effect.
Spoiler:
Sorry guys, metal is very hard to burn like this. It needs to be heated at a very high temperature before it melts. Icarus is still mostly metal at this point. Setting fire to him is probably not a good option.
Stepping over the sitting figure of Old Fred, the statue brings its fist squarely down on his head.
Spoiler:
[url=https://orokos.com/roll/845449]Dodge[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b] Unlucky roll.
The force of the blow smashes Fred’s skull with a sickening crack, and his neck is driven into his shoulders. Blood and brain shoot out, splattering the ground.

Spoiler:
Fist 80: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845438]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]11[/b] Fist Damage [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845439]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3+2d6[/u] [b]14[/b]
Spoiler:
Fred is brown bread. I warned you - Icarus is very dangerous. Please roll SAN at the sight of such extreme violence. If you pass, lost 1 point. Fail roll 1d4 loss. The companions can act now.
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Spoiler:
SAN (58%) - [dice]0[/dice] SAN loss 1
Vic winced as she heard Fred’s skull crack and looked away so she didn’t have to see his final moments.

She looked back at Icarus and the fire that appeared to be having little effect. “What about ice?!” she cried.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice], sanity loss if fail [dice]1[/dice] FEW, HARRY IS TEETERING ON THE EDGE OF INDEFINITE INSANITY
Harry gasps at the sight of Icarus crushing Old Fred's skull, but he's too far gone to process it any further, 'Christopher, stop it...I don't want to hear your excuses...no, no, he did not deserve to die...I don't deserve to die either...'
Locked

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest