Chapter 7: Night Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Alexander raises his shotgun and blasts the green man.
Spoiler:
Shotgun roll (70% skill) shooting at the Green Man: [dice]0[/dice] Damage from shotgun: [dice]1[/dice] If that wasn't enough to bring him down, can I fire the second barrel this round?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Vic winced as the shotgun went off, its bark loud in the night air. She ducked behind Harry to see what happened next...
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

The chisel clangs off the statue's furred back and clatters to the ground.
Spoiler:
Harry & Vic are behind the statue - where is Alexander standing when he shoots it? He can fire his other barrel as it will still be coming, but he must be careful not to hit the others.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mr. Handy »

Spoiler:
I hadn't moved from where I was before. If the statue is moving away from me, then its back would be to me. If I need to move to a new position to get a clear shot, I'll do that.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
We can assume that Alexander waited until Harry was out of the way before he fired! Go ahead and give Icarus another barrel, but if it's still functioning, it'll attack, and I warn you all that it is very strong.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Alexander moves so that nobody else is in the line of fire and lets the animated statue have it with the second barrel.
Spoiler:
Shotgun roll (70% skill) shooting at the Green Man again: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to Green Man: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

The statue staggers as the shotgun blasts pellet it, shearing the bronze covering away. Beneath, the companions can see the white of what is clearly human bone – the spine is clearly visible. Icarus turns to face the companions, now intent on those who assault it.
Spoiler:
Please roll SAN at this sickening site before you take any other actions. Lose 1 point if you pass, roll 1d6 if you fail. After your reactions, Icarus will then attack. You have been warned!
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Posts: 3413
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by aine »

So much for something creeping in and abducting George as Isolde had first imagined; the horror had been right in front of them all this time. She leans out of the window,
“Fire! Try fire! “ she shouts and then ducks back in to deal with George should he wake.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice], SAN loss if necessary [dice]1[/dice] UH OH!
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice] SOMEONE'S GOING INSANE
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
That's unfortunate. Please roll 1d10+4 to see how many rounds he will be out of it for. Hopefully it won't be long. Do you have any ideas about what the nature of Harry's insanity might be? Otherwise, we can roll 1d10 to randomise it.
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Spoiler:
(59%) - [dice]0[/dice] SAN loss - 1.
Last edited by Philulhu on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Spoiler:
OK, edited that out. How fast is Icarus moving?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Spoiler:
Rounds insane [dice]0[/dice] I wondered whether Harry might start having hallucinatory conversations with Christopher Lehman in the guise of Icarus - try and persuade him to leave Forby alone
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
Icarus is moving at a steady walking pace, he hasn’t (yet) moved any faster than that. Whether he can or not is something you don’t currently know…
Spoiler:
Sure, that sounds like a good idea. So he’s not going to take part in the action until he comes to his senses.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry sees the bone embedded in the bronze, it glistens in the lamplight. So he was right, Nicholas Forby encased his rival in the strange statue, it must be his tortured spirit animating this modern day golem.

He stares at the blank face, coated in verdigris, the unsettling green eyes.
Spoiler:
The eyes suddenly shift and focus on [b]Harry[/b], [color=#008000]'Be gone from this place'[/color] hisses Icarus, the voice emanating from the figure but oddly disconnected from the articulations of the fixed, smiling mouth.
No, Christopher, you must stop, this was all Nicholas Forby's doing!' Harry shouts at the silent form of Icarus.
Spoiler:
[color=#008000]'I will have my revenge'[/color]
'Stop, Aleister Forby was your son, Harry Forby is your grandson' he says, seemingly engaged in some one-sided conversation.
Spoiler:
[color=#008000]'No one will have my treasure, you must die'[/color]
Harry looks increasingly panicked, 'No one else needs to die, dig deep man, remember who you are, who you were.'
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Alexander gapes in shock.
Spoiler:
If it attacks me, can I try to parry with the shotgun? Sanity roll (current level 82) for seeing the bones: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
It will attack you and yes you can parry! It means that you can’t reload though. I really hope you’re successful! Good luck! I’m going to roll shortly.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Fixating on the dangerous Alexander, the statue swings a mighty metal fist at him.
Spoiler:
Icarus Fist 80: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845170]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]29[/b] Alexander can parry but bear in mind this might well damage his shotgun. Dodge is another option.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Alexander barely manages to bring up the shotgun to block the mighty blow in time.
Spoiler:
My Dodge skill isn't very good, though. Better the shotgun take the damage than me. I should be able to use both defenses according to 6th edition rules, however. Shotgun roll (70% skill) to parry the blow: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
Phew! Icarus has a lethal damage bonus. [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845178]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3+2d6[/u] [b]11[/b]
Alexander successfully blocks the statue's punch but his shotgun is knocked from his grip and clatters to the ground, barrel bent and twisted.
Spoiler:
Alexander's first attack severely damaged Icarus, but he'll keep coming. You guys better devise a plan!
Locked

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest