The Dunwich Legacy

Moderator: Tabs

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Postby Tabs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:17 pm

ImageImage

ImageImage

OOC:   That'll be useful to us! Wait, how strong is the Brood?  

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:35 am

Spoiler:
The Brood has a Fight of 6, and this one has +1 Fight and +1 Health due to the attached card. We have a Will of 4 + 2 (for Esoteric Formula). We'll need at least one and preferably two clues on the Brood to damage it. I think I should use Drawn to the Flame as my second action and grab two of the clues here. It seems a waste when the shroud is so low, but if we move quickly, we can take down the Brood before a new one spawns due to the agenda advancing and then advance the act and get closer to winning. That still gives me a third action to move to the Blasted Heath and stay ahead of the Detective and Whippoorwill.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 pm

OOC:   Okay, if we can kill it... Don't forget the Powder of Ibn-Ghazi already has 3 clues. I hate the Whippoorwills. Wendy could Backstab the Detective?  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Tabs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Drawn to the Flame Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:47 am

Turn 3 Investigator Phase

Sefina examines the ruined house and find the creature's tracks, and she shudders in sheer terror. "The...thing went back the way I came," she says. "I think I can destroy that monster, but I can't go back that way, that awful man is there. Oh, no, he's coming this way! I'd better make myself scarce." She and Leo hurry off in another direction.

Spoiler:
That could work, or you could move the Brood onto my location so that I can save an action and have a better chance of killing it. Its special action lets me place both of my clues on it. We'll see what happens in the later phases before we have to decide what to do.

Action 2: Play Drawn to the Flame. Take 2 horror. Gain 2 clues.
Action 3: Move to Blasted Heath.
Will test (Will 4 vs. 3[Unhallowed Country]):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

-2. Play The Painted World as Sure Gamble, spending 2 resources, to turn it into a +2. Success! Discard Unhallowed Country.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:30 pm

ROUND 3

MAP

Yellow Dunwich Village -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Blasted Heath -> Cold Spring Glen
Green Ten-Acre Meadow [Stubborn Detective, 2 clues, Brood oY-S] -> Dunwich Village -> Cold Spring Glen -> Devil's Hop Yard -> Whateley Ruins
Red Blasted Heath [Wendy, 1 clue] -> Dunwich Village -> Devil's Hop Yard -> Whateley Ruins
Blue Cold Spring Glen [Sefina] -> Dunwich Village -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Devil's Hop Yard -> Whateley Ruins
Brown Devil's Hop Yard -> Blasted Heath -> Whateley Ruins
Brown Whateley Ruins -> Cold Spring Glen -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Devil's Hop Yard

Image It's odd but Whateley Ruins is not connected to Blasted Heath, although B. H. is connected to W. R. Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:40 am

Spoiler:
Actually, it looks like neither of them connects to each other. I think I see what the confusion is. It's because both cards have a brown symbol, but one is a cross and the other an hourglass. Ten-Acre Meadow only has three connections, not four. It doesn't connect to Whateley Ruins either.

In that case, I'll use my third action to go to Devil's Hop Yard, which connects to both Blasted Heath and Whateley Ruins, and apparently nowhere else. That will prevent the detective from catching me.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 am

Ah! I see now. It all stems from when I used FFGs rulebook online, the card images are a little blurry and I assumed the brown symbols are the same.

ROUND 3

MAP

Green Ten-Acre Meadow [Stubborn Detective, 2 clues, Brood oY-S] -> Dunwich Village -> Cold Spring Glen -> Whateley Ruins
Red Blasted Heath [Wendy, 1 clue] -> Dunwich Village -> Devil's Hop Yard
Blue Cold Spring Glen [Sefina] -> Dunwich Village -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Whateley Ruins
Brown hourglass Devil's Hop Yard -> Blasted Heath -> Whateley Ruins
Brown plus Whateley Ruins -> Cold Spring Glen -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Devil's Hop Yard

ImageImageImageImageImage

DHY?
Tabs rolled 1d2:

ImageImage

Enemy Phase

Image moves to Whateley Ruins.

Image moves to Whateley Ruins.

"Howdy, little girl," says the Detective.

"Oh, hello." Wendy is a little surprised by the man's appearance, she'd been scowling up at the sky, trying to pinpoint the insane twittering.

"Haven't seen a foreign-looking lady and a lanky chap?"

"No, sir." She pauses, thinking. "Actually, there was a couple of strangers here but they left ten minutes back. They went to the meadow."

1 Dunwich Village 2 Ten-Acre Meadow 3 Blasted Heath 4 Cold Spring Glen 5 Devil's Hop Yard 6 Whateley Ruins
Tabs rolled 1d6:

Spoiler:
stays at Ten-Acre Meadow.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:30 am

Spoiler:
That Brood's tougher than I thought. I forgot about the extra Health. This one has 4, so it'll probably take both of us to bring it down in one turn before it gets to attack.

I'm in the Devil's Hop Yard right now, and I thought Wendy was in the Whateley Ruins, which also has 2 clues remaining, as does Devil's Hop Yard.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:13 am

Don't know why I've kept it under a spoiler, it would be visible on the table.

ImageImage

Wendy can exhaust it next turn, then the turn after we can finish it off.

Upkeep Phase

Sefina Image + 1 resource

Wendy Image + 1 resource
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:42 am

Spoiler:
Where was that Flashlight earlier? :roll:

How can you exhaust the Brood? If you can do that, I may be able to get the clues on it and start attacking it.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 pm

By evading. She's got Image [3 clues] as well. We're gonna win...depending on our encounter!

ROUND 4

MAP

Green Ten-Acre Meadow [2 clues, Brood oY-S] -> Dunwich Village -> Cold Spring Glen -> Whateley Ruins
Red Blasted Heath [1 clue] -> Dunwich Village -> Devil's Hop Yard
Blue Cold Spring Glen -> Dunwich Village -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Whateley Ruins
Brown hourglass Devil's Hop Yard [Sefina, 2 clues]-> Blasted Heath -> Whateley Ruins
Brown plus Whateley Ruins [Wendy, Stubborn Detective, Whippoorwill, 2 clues] -> Cold Spring Glen -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Devil's Hop Yard

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mythos Phase

ImageImage

Doom 3/5

Sefina Image

Wendy Image

Will 4 vs. 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-2, take 1 horror.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Spoiler:
That could have been a whole lot worse. I can't even use any Events or Assets this turn, as I can't afford them (except Forbidden Knowledge, but I can't afford to waste an action or take more horror). You should probably go first this time. You should use the Powder's ability once and Ten-Acre Meadow's ability once, because the Powder can be used anywhere. If you're not going to attack this turn, you don't even need to use the Powder, as I'm going to pass through Dunwich Village and can use its ability. It'll take me three actions to reach Ten-Acre Meadow, which leaves me one free to attack. The Whippoorwill and the Stubborn Detective will also follow us there next turn, so that could be a problem. I think you should go first this time too.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 pm

But Wendy hasn't any clues!

1 Move to Ten-Acre Meadow.

2 Evade ImageImage Agility 4 +2[Scrapper] vs. 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
0 ; success! Brood exhausted.

Image x3

3 Image Will 4 +6 vs. 7,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-1 ; success! 1 damage (1/4) dealt.

The ground beneath her feet shakes and a rumble, like a scared herd, vibrates through the air. "Old Farmer Ham's cows have taken fright," she thinks. Then, as she jumps into the meadow off a stile, she sees it, huge waving tree trunks above a meaty gob. And it is charging mindlessly to and fro around the field, tearing up the grass and uprooting bushes and trees. "Sefina will be here soon." Wendy determines to do whatever she can to make things a little safer for her friend. She races towards the creature, shouting and waving. It does notice the human speck and tries to swat it with a trunk whilst emitting a weird trumpeting sound, Wendy catches a blast of this in the face and it almost takes her hair off.

Remembering the strange powder given to her by the trembling Professor Armitage, "Use this against the beast, young lady. Wizard Ibn-Ghazi concocted this purple powder to aid us in our struggle against the Ancient Ones!"---whatever that meant? Pulling out the calfskin pouch and loosening its drawstring, she throws the powder up into the air where a gentle breeze wafts it over the beast. She does this three times.

Finally she unfolds the crumpled Esoteric Formula which she discovered. Reading the faint words aloud, she sees that the beast shudders. "You big softy!" she yells derisively.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Turn 4 Investigator Phase

Sefina has to go the long way around to avoid running into the detective. By the time she rejoins Wendy, she is out of breath. The horrific monstrosity in front of her doesn't frighten her, for she knows they have the means to undo it. However, when she recites the formula, she mispronounces the words.

Spoiler:
Did you remember to make the Will(3) test to avoid taking 1 horror from moving into its location?
Action 1: Move to Blasted Heath
Action 2: Move to Dunwich Village
Action 3: Move to Ten-Acre Meadow.
Will test (Will 4 vs. 3[Brood of Yog-Sothoth]) to avoid taking horror:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

+1. Success!
Action 4: Activate Esoteric Formula.
Fight Brood of Yog-Sothoth (Will 4 + 6[3 clues on it] vs. 6[Brood of Yog-Sothoth] + 1[Towering Beasts] = 7):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

-4. Failure.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 am

Will 4 vs. 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
tentacles, FAIL ; 1 horror taken.

First thought, Sefina should've used one of the location's free triggers and second thought, there was no need to move via Blasted Heath and Dunwich Village. Back to Whateley Farm would've saved 1 action.

Enemy Phase

Image moves to Ten-Acre Meadow and deals 1 damage to Sefina.

Image moves to Ten-Acre Meadow.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:55 am

Turn 4 Enemy Phase

Sefina yelps as the detective comes up behind her, grabbing her by the arm and twisting it cruelly. "Now I've got you!" he said. "You won't get away this time."

Spoiler:
I thought it would be overkill to use a fourth clue, and that I might need my two clues in case another one of those Broods showed up (such as if Ancient Evils comes up during the Mythos Phase and advances the Agenda). I wasn't expecting to draw a -4, but that was the only possible outcome where it would have made a difference.

I couldn't have gone through the Whateley Ruins, because the Stubborn Detective was there and would have engaged me. I would have had to spend an extra action evading, and it might not have worked. Going around him was a guaranteed success. If he hadn't been there, I'd have taken the faster route.

Does the Brood move?
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:45 am

Yeah, you're quite right re the Detective. I'm sure, well it feels right to me, that the Brood doesn't move, being exhausted.

Upkeep Phase

Ready cards

Sefina Image + 1 resource

Wendy Image + 1 resource
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 am

Spoiler:
Yes, that makes sense, though now it will ready itself. I can still use the location's fast action to place a fourth clue on it, which we'll want now that the Whippoorwill's here. I'll need to go first this time. I don't even have to worry about the Stubborn Detective, as fighting the Brood won't set off attacks of opportunity. I have four actions, and I only need three hits, and I'll only fail on tentacles. As long as the encounter cards aren't too bad, I think we've got this. The vest will be helpful if the scenario goes much longer.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:42 am

I read the Act Image or set aside, and there are another four! Do you wish to carry on? 'Cos I would be happy to resign with victory 1 + whatever we get in the resolution...

ROUND 5

MAP

Green Ten-Acre Meadow [Wendy, Sefina, Stubborn Detective, Whippoorwill, 2 clues, Brood oY-S] -> Dunwich Village -> Cold Spring Glen -> Whateley Ruins
Red Blasted Heath [1 clue] -> Dunwich Village -> Devil's Hop Yard
Blue Cold Spring Glen -> Dunwich Village -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Whateley Ruins
Brown hourglass Devil's Hop Yard [2 clues]-> Blasted Heath -> Whateley Ruins
Brown plus Whateley Ruins [2 clues] -> Cold Spring Glen -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Devil's Hop Yard

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunwich Legacy