Chapter 4- The Lost Plateau

In the jungle of Brazil, an ancient legacy best left undisturbed was found. Only the players can save it from falling into the wrong hands.

Moderator: kabukiman

Re: Chapter 4- The Lost Plateau

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 am

"Thanks," says Harry. "I never even really studied Latin, just picked up some words here and there."

Spoiler:
Antrhopology roll (36% skill) about the natives:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

History roll (55% skill) about the natives:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Mephistophilis » Fri May 22, 2020 7:17 am

Spoiler:
Mephistophilis rolled 1d100:

Spoiler:
Mephistophilis
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Starspawn338 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:18 am

Butch continues to maintain an even temperament and endeavors to give no umbrage to the natives.

"The native encounter is expected, but not them speaking of conquistadors in Latin. Very interesting... to someone interested in that sort of thing."
Spoiler:
Anthropology 1
Starspawn338 rolled 1d100:

History 5
Starspawn338 rolled 1d100:
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby kabukiman » Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 pm

Result of the rolls:
They are natives, but they don't seem related with the primitive tribes that live near the amazon; they seem more alike the peruans, but with a more noble figure. And there are stories of some Incas that escaped the conquistadors...

As you make your way into the city, you see Q’ero hard at work carving out their existence deep in the Amazon. They are a robust and healthy people, growing their own vegetables and eating goat, rhea, and tapir meat supplemented with fish caught from the nearby tributary. Rumors regarding the city’s wealth are highly exaggerated, however. Paititi appears to be a city of simple folk, but it still contains quite a few Incan relics—pieces that would be valuable to any potential collector or museum. You are led up the stairs of the largest of three ziggurats, past several groups of Q’ero who look on with great curiosity. One hundred-fifty feet up, atop the ziggurat, sprawls an open courtyard with sternfaced stone effigies at the corners. A dozen Q’ero are here, several moving about with jugs of water or plates of fruit while others quietly confer with one another. As you approach, the small crowd parts to reveal a stone throne bearing a small, ancient man wearing simple brown robes and a golden crucifix amulet. Though he is tanned and wrinkled, the old man is clearly European. His gray hair is long and combed back, and his ancient blue eyes hint at deep wisdom. He welcomes you to the Holy City of Paititi and introduces himself as Sir Jeremiah Brock of the Knights Templar.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mephistophilis » Mon May 25, 2020 5:09 pm

OOC:   I presume he's talking in Latin?  

Fr Malone greets Sir Jeremiah in Latin and says 'Thank you for your hospitality Sir Jeremiah, this is quite the city you have here, but I must say, I find it a little surprising that you would hail from the Knights Templar, an order suppressed in the fourteenth century following the papal bull vox in excelso'.

Spoiler:
Alex is going to roll his Psychology to see if Sir Jeremiah believes what he is saying - Psychology 70%

ETA hard success

ETA
Spoiler:
Alex would also like to see if any of the iconography in the room or the man's clothing, crucifix etc fits with the templars - Occult 70%

ETA extreme success
Mephistophilis
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon May 25, 2020 5:57 pm

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Sir Jeremiah," says Harry. "My name is Harry Smith. While there are no more conquistadors, there are other bad men who are searching for this city. Luckily we got here first to warn you. You have been here for a very long time, it seems. Is there something here in Paititi that allows extended life?"
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Snapper » Tue May 26, 2020 4:19 am

Crowley furrows his brows but manners win the battle. "A pleasure sir. Captain Balthazar Crowley, at your service."
Snapper
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby kabukiman » Wed May 27, 2020 4:20 pm

"We were suppressed? That doesn't surprise me. As soon as our brothers in France were arrested, my superiors immediately ordered that... a relic that we had save from the Holy Land would be send away in a ship that was prepared; to not risk to see it in impious hands; there were some stories about a land far away to the great ocean, and that would be our destiny. I was the commander of the expedition and by the grace of God, we survive the terrible weather. We arrived at a great river, and continued to the interior. The pagans in the forest were very hostile, but with great cost we prevailed and arrive at a spot where we build a monument." He stops for a moment and then resumes. "I had a vision of the place we should go, and we continued our journey, our number dwindling until only I was left; luckily a group of locals from Paititi found me: they civilized in their own strange way" and then he smile and say"Maybe I should say that I was in civilized in my own strange way. They accepted my preaching of God's word, and were converted. Some time latter, we received refugees that were escaping some Spanish knights, they called them "conquistadors". Now about the reason why I am still alive, well, let me show you".

He touches all of you and you recover all wounds, and feel reinvigorate, like if you had been sleeping in a nice bed!
There is no doubt that the man is sincere in what he is saying (if it is the true, that is another question...).
His cloths are simple, recent and made locally; he has a small templar cross in a necklace, but besides that, you don't see anything else, the place seems very simple and spiritual, without the need of complicate ornaments.

Then he asks:
"What bad men? Others looking for gold?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mephistophilis » Wed May 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Alex stares dumbfounded at Sir Jeremiah, then crosses himself. He addresses Sir Jeremiah in English, 'but...what...how? How long have you been here, is it just you or the Paititi as well?

He stops for a moment, a look of realisation on his face, 'the bad men are Germans, well, not just any Germans, the Nazis, and I suspect it is not gold they are after but mystical artefacts of great power. You wouldn't happen to have any lying about?'

Spoiler:
Alex would like to see if Sir Jeremiah speaks in modern or antiquated English
Mephistophilis
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu May 28, 2020 2:34 am

"Thank you, I feel much better. The Nazis would steal the gold too, given the chance," says Harry. "They'd also want the secret to your longevity. But it's most likely that relic they'd want the most."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby kabukiman » Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 am

OOC: Nobles in England spoke in french until the latte XIV century, so sir Jeremiah would only speak french and latin. He could recognize that you spoke the language of the farmers (if he was able to understand your XX century English as English at all), but nothing else.

"It is the relic that have preserve my life: Come, I'l show you, and you will tell me more about those Germans, what was the name you used? Nazis? They are not related to the Teutonic order, are they?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mephistophilis » Thu May 28, 2020 10:46 am

OOC:   Cheers, interesting, could I retrospectively say when Sir Jeremiah looked puzzled at his English Alex switched to French to see if he understood - Alex's French is not as good as his Latin (30% vs 40%) but he ought to be able to communicate  
Mephistophilis
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 am

"They're actually quite similar to the Teutonic Knights," says Harry as he goes along. "I don't think there's a direct connection, but the Nazis like to hearken back to centuries old traditions such as that. They're also fond of historical people like Frederick Barbarossa and the Vikings. They're cruel, ruthless, and full of hate. One of them murdered a man in the city we stopped in on our way here, but I hunted him down. They also have a flying ship. If we hadn't found the Templar tomb that told us about the shortcut, they would have arrived ahead of us."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Starspawn338 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:46 pm

"Ask him if he has any idea how the Nazis could have found out about this place. Did they encounter the previous expedition or did someone from the outside world stumble upon them and leave?"
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby Snapper » Sun May 31, 2020 9:33 am

Crowley keeps largely quiet but looks thoughtful as events unfold. The story is incredible but the old man exists and the party appear to have been healed.

"Pardon me sir," he begins politely in Latin, "but was it your tomb we visited on our journey here?"

OOC:   Are there any rolls Crowley could make to corroborate parts of the Templar's story? A History roll to remember myths and legends of the Templars, or stories of voyages to the New World before Columbus? An Anthropology roll to confirm the old man's heritage?  
Snapper
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby kabukiman » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:14 pm

Spoiler:
Alex can communicate in french, no problem

Spoiler:
there are several stories about voyages before Columbus, but none related to the Templars, only that they had some important treasure that was never found

"Come with me, I'l show you he holy object I have been protecting. Yes, it was my tomb; I was dying, and my lesser brothers decide to place the relic with me in that place, so they build it. Thanks to God, I recovered, so we only left a map, in the case of other brothers came in our search."

OOC: who will make the questions that Butch is doing?
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mephistophilis » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:21 pm

Alex interprets Butch's questions into French. Taking the opportunity to evaluate Sir Jeremiah's pronuciation for archaic elements that would support his origins in the 14th century if he answers back in French rather than Latin.

Spoiler:
Alex has the Linguist talent which allows him to identify any language, not sure about particular variants of languages but since he speaks French it'll probably help him identify if this is archaic French
Mephistophilis
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:36 am

Harry follows Sir Jeremiah.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Snapper » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:07 am

In English, Crowley muses largely to himself, "Historically, there are several stories about voyages before Columbus, but none related to the Templars, only that they had some important treasure that was never found. I wonder..."

Crowley then politely translates this thought into his best schoolboy Latin for their host, with the added explanation that Columbus was an explorer back in the day.
Snapper
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Starspawn338 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:35 am

Unsure if they are still speaking Latin or now some other language since the cadence of the speaking seems to change, Butch mutters to himself. "It's all Greek to me."
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Hollow Earth Expedition: Miracle Stone of the Amazon