IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:01 am

John turns up his collar and pulls his hat down over his head. The Colt is a comfortable weight in his pocket, and he is glad of it as he follows the others.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 5256
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:11 pm

Time: 21:17 PM

As the three of you walk through the garden and start approaching the graveyard you can see the first lantern through the break in the wall, the air feels thick and almost electric but at the moment there is no sign of that tell-tale stench you remember from before. "Something doesn't feel right " Thomas nervously mutters.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Image

"Keep your eyes and ears open," Harrison whispers as he strains his own senses to try to make out what's lurking in the graveyard.

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
3
Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
76
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:52 am

Feeling Kimball's nervousness, John takes his arm gently.

"Let's press on a little more" he says.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 5256
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Time: 21:19 PM

As the group moves forward, Harrison is able to hear a tearing sound, specifically the sound of pages being ripped out of a book and some heavy breathing.
Reaching the break in the wall there is a disappointing lack of light, some of the lanterns seem to have been disturbed and knocked over with just the one on the ground by you lighting the way. In the distance a weak flicker can be seen coming from the direction of he tombs where Kimball was sighted. Thomas stops for a second "Well this is not looking good, hopefully we won't have to get too close."
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Image

Harrison frowns at the sound of the tearing pages. He looks down at the sack of books he's carrying, then up at Thomas.

"I'm not entirely sure you're uncle's gonna be too appreciative of these books any more. We might have to re-think our play if things go south."

He grimaces at John before turning around to look behind them, ensuring that he knows their route of retreat off by heart.

"Let's take things quietly, eh old pal?"

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
88
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:22 am

John moves out in front and heads to the sound of the noise. In his pocket, he flicks the safety off the Colt.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 5256
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:56 am

Time: 21:20PM

Harrison's attempt to move in silence fails as he snaps a fallen twig, luckily it does not seem to provoke anything untoward. Thomas moves aside as John moves to the front of the group.

Edging closer towards the tomb area you can see shadows moving around the candle lanterns light but can't quite make them out, they are about 80 feet from you now. The light is fairly dim so only one lantern must have remained alight at that spot.

"Damn this darkness, I can barely see anything"

Spoiler:
Both of you please roll spot hidden.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 am

Image

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
21
As Harrison peers into the gloom, something catches his eye.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:10 pm

John feels the adrenaline begin to surge as he tries to make out the shapes in the gloom, but it's too dark.

“Stay behind me” he whispers.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 25: Spot Hidden: 1d100 36
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 5256
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:10 am

Time: 21:21PM

The trio having paused for a moment try to make out the shadows more clearly. Harrison can discern the outline of two figures, one more human like laying face down on the ground unmoving about half way between them and the tombs, and another more beastial figure moving in an agitated fashion by the tombs themselves, focusing his attention more he can tell its Kimball and hes ripping the books to shreds.


"What's going on" Thomas asks in a hushed voice.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Image

"Ah shoot..." whispers Harrison, directing his companions' attention to the spot where he can see old man Kimball.

"Looks like your uncle's gone completely feral. I'd suggest we cut and run, but dang it, there's someone else there too - maybe Melodias."

He takes a suitable book out of his bag and tests it for weight.

"If I can chuck this to the side, maybe it'll make enough noise to draw uncle ghoulie away, so we can run up and rescue whoever it is. Meanwhile one of us looks out for the other ghouls; ready to start shooting if need be. What d'you think John ol' chum?"
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:48 am

"Agreed" says John. "You two help whoever's on the ground. I'll cover you."

The Colt is now in his hand.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 5256
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:15 am

Image

“Right then, let’s go...”

Moving forward, Harrison hefts the book and throws it as far as he can into the dark of the graveyard. Going for effect rather than accuracy, he prays that it’s landing makes enough noise to distract the ghoul.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 am

"Well my curiosity has been more than satisfied, but we can't leave whoever that is there, your right John." Thomas replies.

Spoiler:
Please roll throw. A normal fail/success is good enough, but an extreme fail will fumble the book just in front of you, an extreme success will get it quite far away
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 am

Image

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
56
Harrison throws a weighty book in the general direction of the ghoul, hoping it will draw it away.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Time: 21:25PM

The book is launched a bit haphazardly but lands far enough away that when it thuds in to the dirt that Kimball bounds after it snarling.

Thomas steps forwards "Why didn't I just take your damned word for it... we had better be quick - and quiet while he is distracted", Thomas continues moving towards the downed gentleman you presumed to be Melodias.

Spoiler:
If Harrison wants to continue the attempt to rescue the downed body while John covers you with his firearm, please roll strength. Success and you can pick him in a firemans carry, if you fail your going to have to drag him with Thomas' help but this is going to make noise so make a luck roll to determine how much noise you do make.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Image

Now he realises...” mutters Harrison as he runs forward after Thomas.

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
76
Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
38
Unfortunately he’s unable to lift the prone figure, and so, trusting his luck, he motions Thomas to help him drag the person out of harm’s way.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 am

Time: 21:28PM


Thomas grabs under the right shoulder and help and strains a whisper outHarrison drag the body "Well it looks like its Melodias all right, I think I can hear breathing", as the two of you drag the body it makes a scraping sound in the dirt but fortunately this does not appear to disturb the Kimball ghoul. As they move past John he speaks quietly again "Keep watching our back, I hate to say this but if my Uncle comes near us, shoot.".
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:03 am

Image

"Let's get him back to the house and lock the doors behind us," whispers Harrison as he helps drag Melodius.

"Keep us covered John ol' chum and follow us inside."
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Paper Chase

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests