IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:58 am

John is getting a little tired of Kimball’s insinuations.

”Listen” John tells him. “I’m here in good faith, and I can walk away at any time. So if you want our help, please refrain from snide comments”.

With that off his chest, he now turns to Melodius .

”We saw the creatures, the ones who come out at night. We had to run from them. Now, they obviously live under this cemetery. Tell us what you know about them.”
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:07 am

Image

Harrison nods emphatically at John’s comments.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:35 pm

Time: 12:42 PM

Thomaslooks annoyed but keeps quiet.

Melodias puts his tools down "Ah... creatures, beasts or undead I don't know. I know you stay away laddy - stay away. I can only tell you the practicallity of it all which is to stay the damned hell away at night. Some years back there was some bad influenza, more people to bury than usual so I worked late, well into the dark but I took and rest and found myself asleep. By the time I awoke I damn near ruined my trousers, I have only been half convinced of what I saw, it droves me to some habits I ain't proud of but while I stayed away from working that late I have smelled them and heard noise in winter when there is less day light. Just stay away from here at night, they bother nobody during the day and thats fine with me. But listen I want it to stay that way, who knows what these things are or what their intents do be. For the love of god distrub them no further, and we can all live in peace.".

Instead of hiding his habit he allows his hand to contiue fumbling with his pocket until he opens it to take a nip from a small flask. He looks at Thomas for a minute.
"I told your uncle to be careful, he spent too much time over there - that's where I saw them. I am sorry Thomas but these beasts are like wild animals, they must have taken him. There is nothing anybody can do about it, I couldn't tell the police of what I knew either - it would never be beleived, and I would have the blame and be in irons myself.".

Thomas stares ahead at where Melodias had pointed and seems lost in thought for a moment.

Thomas looks back to John and Harrison "But wait you say he was with them, is he harmed, dead, alive or undead - what? I can't believe this it just doesn't make sense. Your telling me that what you said was real - there are ghoulish creatures? But please what of my uncle I need to know?". Despite expressing disbelief he looks less annoyed and more open to the idea now.

Melodias falls back to sit on a tuft of grass "What? Your telling me the man is alive?".
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Image

Harrison finds it hard not to be sympathetic with the two men; one bewildered and one frightened by things they have no concept of.

“Yes, he’s alive - he has joined these creatures and now lives among them under the tombstones. Now that he’s picked up the books he wanted, you shall never see him again unless you force yourselves into their world; which is a very bad idea by the way. It sounds crazy doesn’t it? You can understand why I made up that foolish story last night.”
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:32 pm

John looks from Kimball to Melodius, and back again.

“From what your uncle said, he is with them of his own volition. He seems to find solace in their company, and has no intention to return, if indeed he can. He is becoming one of them. Do you still wish to see, Thomas?”
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Time: 12:45 PM

Thomas shrugs "I don't think I have a choice. Somehow I believe you but dont believe it all at the same time. For closure it is probably something I need to see. Probably best we don't disturb him or any of them though, but if I can get a look with my own eyes that my Uncle is alive then I can leave the matter alone."

Melodias shakes his head in disbelief "Lad - your mad. This is a foolish endeavour - really it is... but that said I can understand how you feel, and I have a feeling if you can't accept it now or while he's still of some semblance of a man then you might choose to be more foolish at a later date when there is no man left but beast. I don't understand what I saw, but I am certain now I am not mad at least so thank you all as you have at least given me closure over this issue.".

Melodias takes the hip flask from his pocket once more but this time empties it in the ground before flinging it under a hedge.

Spoiler:
Sorry for the delay, my wife went into hospital to give birth earlier than expected! This is the last chance/attempt to convince Thomas but his mind his fairly set now, you need a hard success with persuade, charm, psychology or occult depending on how you may wish to convince him to just accept it and leave it be, else catching a look for himself will be the only thing he accepts.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Image

Harrison can't help but smile as Melodias empties his flask, pleased that he's at least helped someone today.

"You don't have to hang around Melodias. If you want to scram, we'll understand."

As for Thomas, Harrison is relieved that he is convinced of the dangers involved.

"Listen, if you're still set on staying despite everything you've heard, then we need to watch from a hidden position with a damn good line of retreat. Oh, and we'll need some more of your uncle's books to leave around the tombs - if we can keep him occupied, perhaps his pals will be too."
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am

Spoiler:
No problem Leo! Regards to you and your wife! Did she have the baby yet? If so, congratulations!


Spoiler:
Occult 40: Occult: 1d100 64


"Yes" John agrees. "The books seem to be the thing which is keeping him here still. Hopefully, like last night, he will come before the others. We have a few minutes, then we need to get the hell out of there. We should bring flashlights and like Harrison says, prepare a clear escape route."
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Time: 12:47 PM

Melodias laughs "Scram? Not a chance I still have work to get done before it gets dark, but there is also no chance of me hanging around after dark either. Once was enough for me.".

"I have a flashlight at home, but also a set of candle lanterns as well. We aren't far from the house so do we really need much of an escape route - surely you are not suggesting we get too close to them or my Uncle. I know it will be dark but my eyesight isn't that poor."

Melodias looks at Thomas "Won't be much moonlight tonight with the forecast of clouds coming in, shouldn't rain till tomorrow morning though. You have the break in the wall where the track to the house is but I doubt you will see much from there with hedges and tombs so you might end up closer than you think. You could try climbing up the wall for a better viewpoint so the hedges are not in the way but if you have to disappear quick you will have to watch yourself on the way down, otherwise you might need to wait near their tunnels themselves. Problem with that is that without the moonlight you won't see well where they come out - but that's the best shot at viewing them from affar. It's all a bad idea if you ask me but I can't blame Thomas for wanting to see his Uncle.".

Spoiler:
Please roll for Idea. Thank you, yes baby has arrived safe and sound - Thanks!
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Image

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
37
”Hmm, I think I might have a suggestion...” Harrison says.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 am

"I have some ideas too" says John. "We should trace our escape route and commit it to memory. We won't have much time and we'll have to move fast."
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Previous

Return to Paper Chase

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest