IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 am

Time: 23:45 PM

You both edge closer and the movement of the clouds reveal more of the moon increasing the moonlight. Hearing John's question the figure looks up once more, and with increased visibility you can see why the face was so familiar, it is the face of Douglas Kimball himself. "Dickens" he replies lowering his head once more.

Spoiler:
the realisation that this creature is Kimball is shocking, you both need to roll to check sanity or lose 1d4 sanity, if you fail you also need to let out an involuntary scream
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d4:
Harrison recoils when he realises that the creature is actually Kimball. However he holds his nerve; revulsion turning into fascination.

"Ah. Your nephew Thomas was wondering what happened to those books. I'm a book dealer myself - Harrison Holst at your service."

Out of habit, he begins to extend his hand in greeting, but quickly thinks better of it and raises his boater instead.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Spoiler:
SAN 60: SAN: 1d100 52

John’s curiousity overcomes his compulsion to run. He regards Kimball in fascination.

Clearing his throat, he asks,

Mr. Kimball, forgive me for asking, but are you feeling yourself?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:09 am

Time: 23:48 PM

Douglas puts the book down and resumes a much more human like posture as he starts to talk. "Pleased to meet you. A book dealer? Oh I once would have had great use for you. Am I feeling myself? Some may say no, but I would perhaps argue that not only do I indeed feel myself - but more like myself. I admit I feel a little guilty for what my nephew must have gone through with my vanishing - but he has gained my house out of it, and my book collection."

He pauses for a moment looking over at the opened tomb, as if he was watching out for something then turns back to resume the conversation.

"Our time, well your time is short. My friends below are far more base than I, and as such are very unpredictable. So I will make this as quick as I can, then you must make haste out of here - for your own safety. I have always kept myself fairly distant from too much company, but in recent years I found myself increasingly disinterested in human contact. I spent more and more time here reading, and one day I had taken candles with me so I could stay out here in the moonlight - I have no need for candles now however." He grins.

"As it approached midnight I observed movement from the tombs and 'my friends below' as I call them first showed themselves to me. Being content with my books I was rather unthreatening with my stillness and over time they came quite content to move around me. I found a peace in their lifestyle, if you can call it a lifestyle - its simply living really. Finding myself accepted amongst these ghouls I eventually braved their tunnels and went down below with them one day. I spent more and more time down below, at peace with myself, but my body did start to slowly change over time. I knew my time above ground would eventually come to an end - so I made one last visit to the house, so I could some of my favourite books. I still become more like them with each passing day - I was not even reading my book properly, I was more staring at it remembering reading. Please tell no one of what you have seen here, for their and our safety. We will not hurt anyone unless threatened and I am at peace here. Tell my nephew I went abroad to travel but perhaps died at sea, he mustn't come looking for me. My friends will be stirring very soon, please take your leave".

Douglas starts moving slightly oddly and seems to be caught staring into darkness.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 am

Torn between utter shock and morbid curiosity over the man's transformation, Harrison doesn't like the sound of these 'friends'.

"Yes, perhaps we'd better leave...

Gripping John's sleeve, he takes a step backwards.

"Er, nice meeting you Mr. Kimball."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm

John's mind is reeling from hearing Kimball's account. He doesn't resist when Harrison takes his arm, but turns his head in the direction of Kimball's stare.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:58 pm

As he steps back,Harrison follows John's gaze while he wracks his brains. Having bought and sold many strange books, have any made specific mention of these 'ghouls'?

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 am

Time: 23:50 PM

As you start to move away you can hear some strange animal like noises coming from within the tomb. Douglas is still staring at the darkness, but seems to be seeing something you can't quite make out yet.

Harrison can recall a fair amount of information regarding Ghouls from your studies and various readings over the years. The beasts are human-like, but can be very dangerous due to their cannibalistic and animalistic nature. A stench often follows them due to their fondness of graveyards, and they are often covered in grave mould all over their rubbery skin. The hoof like feet as seen on Douglas are common as well. You remember myths of humans become slowly turned into ghouls over time but now it appears this is more than myth. You also gain the realisation that the noise, and darkness that Douglas is staring into is indeed his ghoul friends, and it sounds like there is a large number of them. From what you remember Douglas' cogency is unheard of, you can only assume he is far enough away from being fully transformed that he has some shred of humanity left, but this is unlikely to be the case with his "friends". Your knowledge is telling you to run.

Spoiler:
if either of you are choosing to quickly get away then please roll dexterity. A hard success gets you back to the house, a normal success results in a pulled muscle - but this affects you at destination your still able to run to the house otherwise (1 hp loss), a fail results in you falling over and crashing into a grave stone for 1d4 hp loss and you wont have got away.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:59 am

“Oh my God... John, we gotta get out of here now - c’mon!”

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
Despite the darkness, Harrison weaves through the gravestones, looking back to check that his pal is following.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:04 pm

The noise and Harrison’s frantic urging convinces John that it’s time to leave. As he follows his friend through the dark though, he trips and collides painfully with a stone marker.

Spoiler:
DEX 40: dex: 1d100 60
HP loss: 1d4 3 Now 8 HP
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Seeing John fall, Harrison swiftly doubles back to help his friend.

Mindful of the approaching ghouls, he shouts out:

Mr. Kimball! How’s about keeping your pals at bay for us? I’ll happily drop you off Lord Dunsany or somesuch! Maybe a Poe!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Previous

Return to Paper Chase