IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:31 pm

John notes the pie, and eyes it with relish. But first he checks the cupboard.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:19 am

Time: 14:30 PM

Harrison is able to quickly scan through "The Hunter's Guide To Michigan", an informative tome for those with outdoor pursuits in mind. The section on quarry reveals no suitable match, and neither does the general animal section - fortunately the book is very wide reaching and concise fauna wise, a hunter would not want to waste time hunting something of no interest. It is clear to you that this is not a common animal as you have ruled them all out, but you quickly notice an interesting reference for further reading in the bibliography section. The tracking section also suggests a footprint of the size you found would be from an animal likely weighing somewhere between 160 to 200 lbs. A book called "Hunter's folk tales and mythical beasts" strikes you as potentially helpful, there is not a copy here but the library in town may have it.

John can see an array of canned soups in the cupboard but not much else. It looks like Mr Kimball is not much of a cook and has a taste for tomato soup and scotch broth.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 am

Harrison quickly rejoins John and eyes up their food choices.

“Soup or pie eh? I vote for pie, but I’ll abide by your choice.”

“I can’t find any animal that matches those tracks in the books here, so if we have time tomorrow I’d like to go to the local library. Until then, let’s eat and the go visit the cemetery.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:00 pm

“Why not both?” says John. “Yes, let’s get over to the cemetery. I’ll fix the window when we get back. If you think the library is useful, we can go there tomorrow. But I bet you – the cemetery is where he’s gone.”

He prepares the lunch and they both sit down to eat.

Spoiler:
Let's get over to the cemetery.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Spoiler:
Yep, sounds good to me!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:45 am

Time: 14:45 PM
The food all tastes rather pleasant and seems to be of good quality.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:04 am

"Well that was nice." Harrison beams.

"Now let's go see this cemetery eh?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm

"Yes" says John woodenly. "Let's go to the cemetery."

OOC:   Would it be possible to increase the pace of the game at all?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Seized by a sudden flush of excitement (maybe it was the pie), Harrison seizes John by the arm, practically dragging him from the house and into the graveyard.

"Let's get searching!" he declares, and immediately begins to mooch around the gravestones.

OOC:   As a rookie keeper myself, I know how hard it is to keep a game moving forward (especially a pbp one), whilst trying to slowly build up the tension and horror, so I'm willing to cut Leonulf some slack.

Unless it is I to whom you refer. In which case, see the above :D  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:03 am

OOC:   Sorry if my post seemed harsh, it wasn’t intended to be. It was directed at the keeper. I’m fully aware of the difficulties in running games thanks, which is why I know momentum is important if you want to sustain interest. If you’ve been very busy Leonulf, forgive my impatience. I’ve been enjoying the game.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:27 am

OOC:   ...and apologies from me for being so condscending HoneyDog :)  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:55 am

Time: 14:55 PM
After a short walk from the Douglas house you enter the graveyard through a break in the wall, the graves all look very well maintained and there are a number of family mausoleums and tombs in additional to standard grave plots. The graveyard is fairly quiet apart from occasional bird song and a light thud, looking ahead you can see the thud is coming from a spade being dug into the ground by an older gentleman in work clothes, presumably the caretaker. He pauses for a moment and appears a bit unnerven for a second staring at you briefly then he shakes his head slightly and proceeds with his task.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:57 am

Spoiler:
I will try to keep things going as fast as I can for you. I have a lot going on IRL but will do my best to improve the pace.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 am

Spoiler:
Sure, I appreciate things get busy. Let us know if you have to postpone things. It's a good game so far, so don't worry on that account.

John looks at the old man with interest. He nudges Harrison with his elbow and then walks up to the man, his hand outstretched.

"Good afternoon, sir" he says kindly. "My name is John Wessells, and this is my companion, Harrison Holst. Would you be able to spare us a little of your time?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:47 am

Time: 14:57 PM

The caretaker turns his head to you slowly while quickly fastening a button to close the front pocket on his work coat in a rather shifty manner, "Melodias Jefferson, caretaker. BUSY caretaker.". His face looks a bit dishevelled with a ruddy complexion and he gives off the appearance of someone rather stressed.

Spoiler:
Please roll for Charm/Persuade - you can both roll.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
Harrison tips his boater in greeting and smiles his best winning smile.

”I hope you’ll forgive the intrusion - I hate to interrupt your important work, but we’re looking into the recent break-in at the Kimball house. I don’t suppose you’ve seen anything suspicious recently?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Time: 15:00 PM

Melodias looks up with a slightly friendlier expression this time, "It's fine, not really an intrusion I need a breather anyway, digging is hard work. The house - well I can't help with that, I see it everyday but haven't seen anything suspicious over there. I was friendly with Douglas you know, spent a lot of time chatting to the fellow over the years. Kept to himself, but was a pleasure to talk to - he was very well travelled and told me all about the places he had been to, and the books he read - saved me the bother of reading them, not a reader me. Actually miss his company.". After a brief moment of joviality he returns to a more sullen look, and starts staring off into the distance.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:18 pm

"No idea why he went missing then? I heard he said something about 'going underground'."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Leonulf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

Time: 15:02 PM

Melodias looks confused for a moment "Underground? No you must have misunderstood. No idea why he went missing, he seemed quite content to sit over there on his favourite spot and read.". He points off to a grouping of graves and tombs, one tomb in particular has a small low wall sticking out from it, perfect for sitting on. Melodias starts to become a bit agitated, something seems to be bothering him and he starts clutching at his coat pocket while eyeing you suspciously.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:10 am

John wonders as to the source of the man's agitation. Does he know more than he's letting on?

"Mr. Jefferson" he begins, "let me assure you that we only have honorable intentions concerning Mr. Kimball. If something is the matter, perhaps we can be of assistance?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Paper Chase