IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Frowning, John moves over to the window to fasten it, not very convinced by Harrison's attempt at an explanation.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:33 am

Time: 14:01 PM

John's attempt to fasten the window is unsuccesful, the window can be pushed shut but the latch is actually slightly damaged and keeps falling open from being too loose. You notice a lot of dirt around the bottom of the window frame, and can see a massive thorned bush outside the window and the cemetary in the distance.

Spoiler:
cross referencing the catalogue with the appraisal reveals that the three missing books are a selection of omnibus', one for Dickens, one for Shakespere, and the third being a history journal with articles presumable from various authors. Not particularly valuable but certainly a lengthy read.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:52 am

Image

“Hmm... Dickens, Shakespeare and some history journal - hardly a bunch of first additions.”

Harrison looks disappointed as he wanders over to the window.

“Still, we promised to look into this didn’t we? Maybe the burglar got snagged on that thorn bush; shall we take a look?”

If his friend is in agreement, he will pop outside to inspect the bush near the window.

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
60
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:53 am

Time: 14:11 PM

Spoiler:
I am going to assume your friend agrees and give you the result as your roll succeeded


Looking out the window you realise the bush is rather overgrown and looks rather vicious, some kind of bramble by the looks of it. It extends a few foot across and would tear someone to shreds if they chose to climb over it. Upon going outside to inspect it properly a couple of strange markings catch your attention. There are strange foot prints like some kind of large animal in front of the bush, they are fairly deep and look like impact marks from a landing after a jump or leap. Turning back towards the bush you can also see impact scratches on the window sill, and what appears to be scratches on the sides of the frame as well. You can't see anything caught on the bush itself however.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:09 pm

Spoiler:
I'm very sorry, I didn't realise you were waiting for me. I didn't mean to hold things up. I didn't think it was a major decision - just go ahead and do it. If it's not likely to affect the course of the game, you don't need my consent. This game will take months to finish so there's no harm in pushing things along a little when necessary. Again, I apologise!


John looks at the scene with a critical eye.

“Is this window the means by which the burglar gained entrance?” he wonders. “How on earth would he manage it? What the hell could this be?”

The animal marks baffle him.

“I can’t explain this, Harrison. What could it be?”

A thought occurs.

“Maybe there’s a trail.”

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 25: Spot Hidden: 1d100 74


John looks around but can't see anything.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:41 pm

Image

"Looks to me like an animal of some kind jumped to or from the window, straight over this bush. Do they have mountain lions around here?"

Harrison squats down to take a closer look.

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
40
Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
48
"Of course, it could be an elephant for all I know... Whatever it is, does it have anything to do with our missing books? Unless the animal knocked the window open and some opportunist burglar saw his chance."

OOC:   Can Harrison at least tell which way the clawprints are facing?  
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 am

Time: 14:15 PM

You both fail in trying to discern the identity of what left the footprints, you are able to see that they are a similar size to your own footprints, just beastial not shoeprint. You can also see the direction, the prints do go both ways - leading up to the hedge but also following a deep impact print they trail off towards the cemetary but your unable to make out a full trail just the rough direction.

While you are outside you can hear a small dog bark coming from the front of the house and a female voice telling the dog off in a hushed tone "oh quiet you...". You can't see them from where you are however.


Spoiler:
don't worry about it it's no problem :D
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 am

Image

"Hmm..." Harrison studies the prints some more. "Whatever animal it was, it clearly jumped into the house through the window and then jumped back out again. Quite where it went after that is anyone's guess. At any rate, we need to secure the window in case it comes back."

When he hears the woman's voice, he stands up and looks at John.

"A neighbour? Perhaps we'd better introduce ourselves."
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Still puzzled by what could have made the footprints, John nods in agreement and follows Harrison.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:39 am

Time: 14:18 PM

As you move to the front of the house you see the street is largely empty apart from a very smartly dressed elderly lady, who is currently bending down talking to her small poodle. As you approach she looks up at you both.

Spoiler:
Please can you both roll against credit rating and appearance (just do one roll each though please, it counts for both)
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:29 pm

John hangs back, hoping that Harrison can do the talking. He knows that he doesn't have much luck with the older generation, who generally despise his modern thinking.

Spoiler:
Credit Rating 60: Credit Rating: 1d100 79
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Image

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
66
"Hello ma'am - nice day."

Harrison raises his boater to the woman, and gives his best salesman smile. However she is clearly inured to such flimflam.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 am

John decides to attempt anyway.

"Hello Ma'am" he stammers. "We're sorry to bother you, but do you happen to know the owner of this house?"
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:14 am

Time: 14:20 PM

The old lady glares at you both and ignores her dog this time as it start's barking at you both. She speaks quickly with a snarl "I don't have time for this nonsense, everyone knows the Kimball house... damned reporters...". She walks between you both and carries on. She really did not like the look of either of you, and seems to have assumed you were some kind of journalists.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 am

Image

Watching the woman walk away, Harrison lowers his boater and smiles ruefully.

"Friendly neighbours eh?"

"I don't know about you John old pal, but I don't like the idea of stalking wild animals just yet. Let's get back inside and find something to nail that window shut. We can take a good look around the place before our host gets back this evening. Perhaps there's a book about native fauna we can consult about those prints. Oh, and we can fix ourselves some lunch too - I'm starving!"
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

John watches as the woman strides away.

"I guess the press came sniffing around after old Kimball disappeared" he says. "I wanted to ask her if she knew anything about the cemetery" he continues, indicating said place. "After we eat, I want to pay it a visit. See if there's an attendant of some kind."
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Image

As much as he finds the idea of mooching around a cemetery unappealing, Harrison nods.

"Well, if you insist ol' pal. We'll poke around the house, grab some lunch and then take a stroll around the graves eh? Hey, maybe tomorrow we could speak to the local press - if they've been asking around, maybe they've can tell s something."

If John agrees, Harrison will take a look around the other rooms of the house, ostensibly to find a hammer, nails and some wood to block the broken window.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:37 am

"Sure" says John, his eyes still on the cemetery. "Let's look around."
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby Leonulf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am

Time: 14:25 PM

You both reenter the house, at the end of the hallway is the study, there are three other doors leading to a kitchen, dining room and also living room.
You also see there is a cupboard under the stairs, a likely storage place for any tools or nails. Through the kitchen doorway a pie wrapped in cloth can be seen on the counter, a note says "meat - help yourself".

Spoiler:
you can go back into the study and roll for library use to specifically look up native fauna as you suggested.
User avatar
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Postby jp1885 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:55 am

Image

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
5
Having already gone through the catalogue once, Harrison quickly finds a suitable book.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Paper Chase

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron