August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby Turstrigo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Emma sits down next to Kathryn to keep a close eye on Amanda.
User avatar
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby robertod » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Michael goes out but sees no one around. The neightbouthood is silent and no one is in the street. If someone had followed him, he must have hidden somewhere before Michael entered the house.

Amanda takes the bottle, and points her finger at a closet placed next to the entrance door. She´s about to say something, but her voice suddenly stops.
Her face is frightened as she holds her breath. She has a foreboding, something she herself wouldn´t be able to explain.
Everybody hears the sea waves massively withdrawing from the shore, like a powerful orchestra that plays a single note. When their movement stops, they leave behind a deadly silence and a feeling of anguishing emptiness that penetrates everybody. The fear of something unknown, like the announcement of an impending cursed harbinger, conquers the faces of everyone. In the nearby houses, a number of doors and windows slam, as if a terrible hurricane had just been announced.

Instinctively, everyone reaches a window and looks at the sea. The investigators realize Amanda's home is close to the shore. What they see leaves them incredulous and petrified. A brownish wave 50 feet high and wide enough to embrace Amanda's house is coming at high speed. It has almost reached the hedge of the garden.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:57 am

Image

"We need to secure the house!" cries Kathryn, knowing that it's too late to flee before the wave hits. Getting caught out in the open would be worse. She hurries to shut the windows.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35048
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:54 am

"What the hell . . ."

Rushing as fast as he can't, which isn't saying much, Michael tries to get inside and latch the door.

"I hope everybody here can swim,"he says grimly.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby jp1885 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 am

Image

"Good Lord!"

Ivy's eyes widen as she sees the approaching tsunami.

She quickly joins the others in securing the windows, drawing the curtains in a vain attempt to keep out any broken glass.

If there is time, she will look for a big enough closet or cupboard to take shelter in.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby robertod » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:09 pm

The mass of seawater comes from the East wall and penetrates the house with force, opening the doors and windows. The occupants are pushed to the center of the room. The water fills the room and forms a puddle that bathes the occupants’ body up to their hips. At this point, the wave interrupt its movement, becomes stagnant and maintains this level. The water is muddy and dense, being sand and fragments of algae dissolved in it. As soon as the wave stops, at four different points in the room, something emerges from the bottom. They are four disform beings that surround the group and slowly approach them threateningly.

Each thing is a shapeless mass of organic material, as if randomly taken from the ocean floor, emitting a tangy smell of marine plants and brackish. There are fragments of biomass at different states of decomposition, including algae and plankton, but also fragment of other materials such as bones, debris, shells and corals. Their surface is brownish and rippled like a liquid, being the consistence that of a pulp, like rancid and sticky mucus. The central core is a somewhat cylindrical body and the size of a dog. Out of nowhere they begin to emit frog-like calls, while their mass generate long stretchable limbs, allowing the thing to float and swim on the water's surface. One of the ends has something that seems to vaguely act as an eyeless head. Here, the brownish mush opens its mouth, where fragments of sharp corals are arranged like threatening teeth. Apart from the mouth, there´s nothing that might vaguely suggest organs of sense. The skin is nothing more than chaotically and shapeless aggregated biomass.

OOC:   Everybody rolls for Sanity  


Image
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby Turstrigo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Emma runs into the landward part of the house. "Brace yourselves!" She screams while searching for something to hold on to.
User avatar
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby jp1885 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:01 pm

Image

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
28
Ivy stands dumbfounded as the figures rise out of the water.

"What in the name of-? Is this some kind of joke?"

Holding her nerve, she fishes her nightstick out of her sodden coat.

"You stay back now, whatever you are! What do you want?"
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:08 am

Image

Kathryn screams when she sees the things, wading backwards away from the nearest one while fumbling for her gun.

Spoiler:
Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing the creatures:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
73
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35048
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby robertod » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:28 pm

VictoriaSilverwolfv» Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 am:
Away for six days.

OOC:   Let´s wait to give VictoriaSilverwolf chance de react

Turstrigo, your sanity roll...  
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby Turstrigo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Emma has just managed to regain her balance, when she noticed the creatures.
Spoiler:
Turstrigo rolled 1d100:
61

"What in The Lord's name are these things?" She reaches for her gun as quickly as she can.
User avatar
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:22 am

Spoiler:
SAN = 68
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d100:
28


Michael keeps his cool, figuring these so-called figures are just flotsam and jetsam (what the heck is the difference, anyway?) tossed up by this crazy storm.

"Hang on tight, ladies,"he shouts over the roaring water. "This can't last very long."

He doesn't pull out his pistol, seeing no need for it. Hanging on to something solid is his main concern now.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby robertod » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 pm

Michael´s mind tries to classify the animal standing before him and gets terrified when he cannot find an answer.
Spoiler:
Michael loses 1 Sanity point

Amanda points her weapon at the being standing near the stairs and shoots. At the same time, the other three things open their horrifying jaws and leap from the water to bite Kathryn, Emma and Michael.
Spoiler:
Amanda attacks Monster 1
robertod rolled 2d10:
9, 2
damage
robertod rolled 2d6:
6, 2

Moster 1 attacks Amanda
robertod rolled 2d10:
6, 7
damage
robertod rolled 1d8:
3

Moster 2 attacks Emma
robertod rolled 2d10:
1, 6
damage
robertod rolled 1d8:
7

Moster 3 attacks Michael
robertod rolled 2d10:
10, 8
damage
robertod rolled 1d8:
3

Moster 4 attacks Kathryn
robertod rolled 2d10:
4, 7
damage
robertod rolled 1d8:
2
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby jp1885 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Image

As the monsters seem to be leaving Ivy alone, she will race to the closet to grab Martin's stuff.

If they attack, she will defend herself.

If anyone seems to be struggling, she will help them out and attack.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby robertod » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:12 pm

While they are still trying to figure out what is happening, Michael, Emma and Kathryn sees one of these things jumping on them and feel. Their body is bitten by something sharp. Michael and bitten on the arm
Spoiler:
Michael loses 3 hit points
Spoiler:
Kathryn loses 2 hit points are
, while Emma is bitten by the side, near the neck. Her injury is serious and she faints immediately.
Spoiler:
Emma loses 7 hits points. Sorry.. bad dice roll

The shot fired by Amanda creates a noise that makes the glasses shake and leaves the three monsters bewildered.
Amanda, realizes about Emma´s situation. She gets prepared for her second shot, aiming at the body of the thing killing Emma. She points her weapon so as to prevent the bullet´s trajectory from hitting Emma by mistake.

Ivy reaches the closet. Fortunately, Martin's things are recognizable because they are piled in a corner with ruffled men's clothes, and they have not been reached by the water. Beside its clothes, there´s a hand-written notebook with a letter inside. As she takes a look back to the room, Ivy sees that the water level is slowly rising.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 am

Seriously wounded and bleeding badly by whatever the heck is in the water -- sharks? -- Michael finally whips out his pistol and fires, hoping to hit something, even with a crippled arm.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:51 am

Image

Crying in agony, Kathryn tries to shoot the thing attacking her, but its bite on her arm throws off her aim.

Spoiler:
Firearms(Handgun) roll (65% skill) shooting at the creature attacking her:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
91

Bonus die for point blank range:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d10*10 and got a total of 90:
9

Am I allowed to fire more than one shot per round?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35048
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby jp1885 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 am

Image

Ivy stuffs the notebook & letter into her bag and grabs a handful of clothes to use as bandages.

If Amanda has kept the creature off Emma, she will rush to the girl and administer first aid. If she cannot reach Emma, she will attack the creature with her nightstick.

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
36
Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
98
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby robertod » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 am

Spoiler:
Since the creature is now closer, you have a bonus dice
Firing
robertod rolled 3d10:
9, 7, 10
Eventual damage
robertod rolled 1d10:
3


Spoiler:
yes you can fire other two shots.
The crature now is closer, so you should have bonus dice. However, since you are firing multiple shots,
you should get penalty dice as well, so you got other two normal shots
Firing
robertod rolled 2d10:
10, 6
Eventual damage
robertod rolled 1d10:
4

Firing
robertod rolled 2d10:
9, 10
Eventual damage
robertod rolled 1d10:
10


Spoiler:
Attacking Amanda
robertod rolled 2d10:
8, 1

Eventual damage
robertod rolled 1d10:
2


Attacking Michael
robertod rolled 2d10:
10, 9

Eventuual damage
robertod rolled 1d10:
7
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 9.00 AM - Amanda´s place

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:27 am

Spoiler:
Thanks, that 06 is an impale! 8-) I guess that does maximum damage (10) plus the roll of 4.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35048
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

PreviousNext

Return to The Sign of Virgo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest