August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby robertod » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm

"Ivy's action does not call for the men's attention. Their attention is called by the presence of the girl in the boat.
One of the men gets on the ramp connecting the boat to the dock. He aims the flashlight on the hull and moves the beam among the barrels.
As the light illuminates the scared face of the girl, the man vents his anger and exclaims."

"It is Vera! Damn it! ."

"I had told Croockey that she had to be locked up.
Go and get her, soon! And be careful not to kill her."


The four men run to the boat and point their flashlights to her. Vera
remains motionless in panic, with the knife in her hand as a disperate defense.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Image

"At least they're not going to kill her," whispers Kathryn, "but they may have something worse planned. Still, we have time to rescue her, so we can wait and see what happens first. If we do rescue her, she'll be grateful, and she may tell us how to get to K'n-yeil."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37025
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby jp1885 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 am

Image

"The Crookey family is in league with the Andersons, remember?" Ivy hisses to the others. "Perhaps we should assist this young lady."

In an attempt to distract at least some of the men, tries to push some of the barrels off the cart.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:41 pm

"No need for silence now,"Michael mutters, "with them barrels makin' one hell of a racket." He fires a shot directly into the nearest barrel, hoping the men will be more concerned about the booze inside than the woman."Freeze! Federal agents got ya surrounded! You're under arrest for violatin' the Volstead Act." It's a bluff, but he hopes it will give them enough time to get the woman out of danger.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby robertod » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 pm

The five men react immediately and one of them swears something. Two of them gets on the boat, trying to catch the girl. She makes a scream of fear and then starts moving quickly among the barrels.

The other three men point their flashlights at the barrels and cart, so that their shapes become invisible to investigators.
One of them has already begun to shoot at the origin of Michael's voice.

Spoiler:
robertod rolled 1d100:
64


Michael feels the blow of the bullet hitting the barrel next to him.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Image

Seeing that subtlety has now gone out the window, Kathryn fires at the man who had just shot from her position of cover behind the barrels, thankful that the flashlights and muzzle flash had lit him up nicely. Her gunfire is far more accurate than his, and her bullet strikes home.

Spoiler:
Firearms(Handgun) roll (65% skill) shooting at the goon who just fired:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
27

Damage to goon:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d10:
3
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37025
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 am

Michael returns fire.

Spoiler:
pistol = 49%
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d100:
46


The shot strikes home.

Spoiler:
damage = 1d10, I assume from above.
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d10:
3


It's not fatal, but it must hurt the guy.

"Let the girl go, or the next shot will be the last thing you ever feel."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby robertod » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:52 pm

OOC:   Ivy, any action?  
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby jp1885 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 pm

OOC:   Sorry for being quiet. Ivy doesn't have a gun!  


Image

As shots ring out, Ivy takes cover behind the cart.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 am

Spoiler:
Do you still have that rifle we found, or is it not working any more?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37025
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby robertod » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:17 am

Spoiler:
robertod rolled 2d100:
85, 68
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby robertod » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:26 am

OOC:   The rifle found, unfortunately, had been immersed for a long time in salt water and was also unloaded.  


One of the men screams and falls to the ground. His flashlight illuminates the sky above like a flash, and then falls next to him.Two men fire and the bullets hit again the barrels, releasing the smell of liquor in the cold air. The other man runs on the boat to help his companion getting the fugitive girl.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:06 am

Spoiler:
Is anyone still shooting at us?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37025
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:07 am

"Damn it," Michael mutters. "Can't let them take her." Tossing caution to the wind, he rushes after the guys who have the woman, not firing but ready to do so. He huffs and puffs as he runs as best as he can.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby robertod » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:29 pm

OOC:   Yes, they are still shooting. I had posted wrong and I corrected it. Please read it again.  
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby jp1885 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Image

“Oh no you don’t”

Ivy scuttles out from her hiding place and races to the host, swinging her nightstick.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Image

"Wait, stay behind cover, they're still shooting!" calls Kathryn. Remaining behind cover herself, she fires at one of the two men still shooting, reasoning that even if she doesn't hit, it should at least divert his attention and force him to take cover himself. Her shot is accurate and devastating.

Spoiler:
Firearms(Handgun) roll (65% skill) shooting at one of the goons shooting at us:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
55

Damage to goon from .38 bullet:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d10:
9
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37025
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby robertod » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:05 am

Kathryn fires a lethal bullet at the forehead of one of the shooting men, who collapses on the ground.

Suddenly, a splash in the water distracts everyone. The girl has just dived into the water and is swimming towards the docks. The men on the boat blather something among them, difficult to understand, but none of them chase the fugitive.

When Ivy comes out of her shelter and runs towards the boat, she sees the two dead bodies lying in a pool of common blood. They are village men, bearded, dirty and badly dressed, long chaotic hair and sunburnt face.

The third flashlight stops pointing the investigators and runs towards the boat. As soon as the man is on the deck, one of his companions on the boat removes the ramp while someone else turns on the engine.

Two silhouettes are standing on the deck, ready to give covering fire against anyone who gets too close to the departing boat.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 am

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:17 am

Spoiler:
How far away are the two on the deck? Are they within normal pistol range?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37025
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: August 18 - 10.00 PM - The Croockey Inn

Postby jp1885 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Image

If Ivy is within running distance of where the girl seems to be swimming to, she will head that way to assist/intercept her.
If not, she will search the bodies of the men.
If she has time to do both, then she will.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

PreviousNext

Return to The Sign of Virgo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest