Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby Starspawn338 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:17 am

"Now that is not something that I saw coming. I hope that is not her fate." Lew replies. "She is quite deadly, however. Once we find her, how will we protect ourselves and others?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 am

Spoiler:
let's make this a combination of dancing skill and personal charm. CHA = 13 + 1 for Seduction = 14, Dex = 14. In that order:
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 2d20:
16, 6

Miss Dubrovna proves to be a fine dancer, moving with -- dare one say it? -- feline grace, and is pleased to have found an equally skilled partner. Although she does not respond directly to small attempts at light flirtation, it is obvious that she enjoys the company of men.

Half-convinced by your plan, she shrugs and says "If the silly girls want to risk their lives, I will not stand in their way.'

Arrangements are quickly made to obtain some of Kitten's clothing left behind at the Van der Maas mansion, as well as theatrical cosmetics and a wig of the proper type, but Miss Dubrovna does not reveal Kitten's current location.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:11 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I'm a bit surprised it didn't say 'SURRENDER KITTEN,'" says Liz, watching the airship carefully to see what its heading is in order to trace its route. It would be interesting to see where it might land or moor, and she has a hunch it could be Coit Tower.

The airship is observed to hover over Coit Tower for several minutes, then heads out to sea. By the time it is over the infamous island prison of Alcatraz, now abandoned (although some have suggested that it be made into a tourist attraction), it is lost to sight in one of the city's famous fogs.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:20 am

SunlessNick wrote:
Is there a good vantage point Zara could get to quickly enough to watch where the airship goes? Then she could draw what she sees and see if anyone recognises the place.

Quickly locating one of those telescopes where you put a coin into it and you have a few minutes to enjoy the view, Zara follows the path of the airship until it vanishes into the fog. Then, her vision blurring a bit, she quickly sketches out what seems to be the plan of part of the abandoned prison.

Perhaps some Dark Patron has offered this vision; but at what price remains to be seen.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:24 am

Starspawn338 wrote:"Now that is not something that I saw coming. I hope that is not her fate." Lew replies. "She is quite deadly, however. Once we find her, how will we protect ourselves and others?"

It occurs to Lew, due to his extensive knowledge of the social sciences, that Kitten's condition has been expressed only during a moment of extreme stress, so that it is a matter of psychology, rather than controlled by the lunar cycle or any such thing. This may or may not suggest some sort of treatment, if she is ever returned to her husband and stepdaughter.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:46 pm

Zara returns to the camper van and shows the sketch to Liz and Lew. She imbibes some of her gin on the way.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby jp1885 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:21 pm

Tony readily reciprocates Dubrovna's enjoyment of the dancing, admiring her lithe moves and doing his best to follow suit.

"Capital. I will arrange things with my companions this evening, though I'm loathe to leave such charming company so early - by my reckoning we have around forty-eight hours after all..."

Depending on how the night progresses, the playboy detective will either communicate the plan directly to the others, or call them. He'll also relay their findings back to Dubrovna, so that she can organise her people.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:03 pm

"He certainly belongs in prison," says Liz, "but I'd rather put Fu Manchu in one that's still operational." She points out the lower left corner of the large image. "That section is 'D' block. That's where they used to put the worst of the worst."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:18 am

"Used to..." Zara says. She looks at Lew as the one most likely to know the answer. "Who goes there now? Could he hide there?"
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 am

Lew is well able to communicate the common knowledge that the former prison is now strictly Off Limits to anyone without special permission from the United States government to enter.

After returning from his dinner date with Miss Dubrovna, Tony is able to communicate the rather risky plan she suggests; namely, that one of the female investigators attempt to disguise herself as Kitten, making use of her clothing, cosmetics, and an appropriate wig. She would then be offered to the Doctor in exchange for the freedom of the prisoners. It is obvious that this is very much a gamble.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Which of Liz and Zara is most like Kitten in build?
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby jp1885 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:55 pm

Partly relieved a disappointed to have left the meeting unscratched, Tony elaborates on his plan.

"No doubt our ruse will be seen through quickly, but it should last long enough for us to get the family out of there. I will accompany 'Kitten', having first concentrated on an item in her possession.

Once the family are out, I will endeavour to teleport myself to said item, and then back out again with a girl on my arm. Of course, I will have to practice transporting myself to unseen objects and taking people with me."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 am

"I'd be willing to try the ruse," says Liz, "but whichever of us would better pass for Kitten should do it."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:19 am

jp1885 wrote:Partly relieved a disappointed to have left the meeting unscratched, Tony elaborates on his plan.

"No doubt our ruse will be seen through quickly, but it should last long enough for us to get the family out of there. I will accompany 'Kitten', having first concentrated on an item in her possession.

Once the family are out, I will endeavour to teleport myself to said item, and then back out again with a girl on my arm. Of course, I will have to practice transporting myself to unseen objects and taking people with me."

Brief experimentation with such skills, alternating with periods of rest to recover from the way that the teleportation drains him, reveal that there may be some problems with this strategy. Although Tony can teleport to any location within a few meters, he can't "aim" at a particular object without knowing where it is. In addition to that, his "carrying capacity" is limited to a few pounds; clothing (avoiding an embarrassing situation) and very basic, light equipment. Carrying another adult with him is out of the question.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:24 am

The two ladies compare themselves with Kitten's physical appearance, based on her clothing, photographs supplied by Mister Van der Maas, and a back issue of Playboy. There are several factors to consider. Although both women are on the slender side, Zara is best described as "rail thin," and does not fit into Kitten's clothing as well as Liz. Her dark eyes are also quite different from Kitten's own baby blue orbs. She would have to wear some kind of colored contact lens. On the other hand, she does share Kitten's pale complexion, and her hair is about the correct length, although it would have to be dyed ash blonde. Liz's fire-colored tresses would have to be well hidden under a wig.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 pm

Somewhat crestfallen, Tony reports the failure of his experiments.

"What a drag, hm? I'm rather afraid I confess myself at a loss."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:34 pm

Zara looks ruefully at Liz. "I think we're about even - but he'd probably spot a wig before he spotted lenses or dye. And you'd probably be better at rescuing me than I would at rescuing you." By the size of the swig she takes from her flask she's not too chuffed at the conclusion, but is willing to stand by it.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:51 am

"Yes, I suppose you're right," says Liz. "A little padding should fill you out and mask the difference in weight. Don't worry, we'll find a way to rescue you."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:58 am

Zara nods. "You did before."
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:41 am

A visit to the finest costumers, hairdressers, and opticians in San Francisco produce the desired transformation. Slightly more curvaceous, while still remaining svelte, wearing one of Kitten's signature black evening gowns, and with her long hair bleached to the exact pale blonde shade required, Zara now resembles Kitten very closely, although it wouldn't fool anybody who knows the original well. A key factor is the colored contact lenses. Such devices are in their infancy, almost always used only to provide special effects in movies, as when Count Dracula's eyes become bloodshot. They are uncomfortable and distort the vision of the wearer.

Spoiler:
While wearing the contact lenses, you lose the Perception bonus, and any INT or WIS check that involves vision suffers a penalty of 3.

By the time all of this is prepared, another day has passed. The same airship passes overhead in the evening, this time displaying the message 24 HOURS 1492. The meaning of the first part of this message seems clear enough; the other, not so much. The Doctor noted for playing sadistic games with his adversaries, it seems likely that it is a clue meant to lead the investigators to some location in the city.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Groovy Ghastly Affair