Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:47 am

Image

"Thank you, Tony," says Liz with a smile. "I appreciate being appreciated. Imagine, she thought I was a Yank! I can protect you with the ritual, even if you step out of the circle. You'll still be protected for about an hour. Unfortunately, I can't create a device to duplicate that effect, nor can it be activated and deactivated at will. I can, however, bless an item you carry, perhaps a weapon. Creatures of evil will be susceptible to it, even if otherwise invulnerable to weapons. There's also my silver quarter, which you'd be welcome to borrow. Perhaps you would be better at sneaking up on the car and attaching the tracking device than I would. I tend to stick out, and the guard has already seen me. Distracting him is more my cup of tea. Zara and I can pretend we can't remember where we parked and ask for his help. I don't think he'll be able to take his eyes off of either of us."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37721
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:25 am

At the car park, the guard observes two charming ladies approach.

Spoiler:
This should be easy. With the Beautiful bonus, CHA = 16 and 20
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 2d20:
2, 12


Smiling widely at both, the fellow offers to escort them through the area in search of their vehicles. This distraction allows Tony an opportunity to attach the tracking device.

Spoiler:
DEX 14 + 1 Sneak = 15
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:
14


He is able to accomplish the task without drawing the attention of the guard.

Fully equipped, Tony prepares for his date with Miss Dubrovna. The tracking device indicates that she leaves the consulate and drives directly to the most exclusive restaurant/nightclub in the city.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:50 am

Spoiler:
You arrive a few minutes early at the indicated place, which is so exclusive that it has no signs outside, merely a plain black marble door. Opening this reveals a large, intimidating man blocking your way.

"Are you a member, sir?" he inquires, in a manner which manages to be both polite and threatening.

Fortunately, you are rescued from this potentially awkward situation by the arrival of Miss Dubrovna. The man recognizes her, nods, and escorts the two of you to a private room in the back, taking you past a soft jazz quartet, a full bar, and tables at which are seated people you may have seen in newspapers, movies, or television. Once in the room, a silent waiter hands you a menu which, notably, does not list any prices. Miss Dubrovna merely says "the usual," while you are free to order whatever catches your eye in the way of food and drink. Miss Dubrovna's "usual" proves to be champagne, caviar, raw oysters, and ceviche. She enjoys this daintily but with obvious relish. Between bites, she addresses the reason for the meeting.

"How much do you know?" is her opening gambit.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Image

Zara gives effusive thanks to the guard. While the party is following the tracker, Zara will take some time with a pad and try to absently draw Kitten, in the hopes of getting a result that shows what Faux Manchu (as she's taken to thinking of him now) intends for her. She'll help the process along with some of her gin supply.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 am

Image

Liz also thanks the guard. Once he has left, she rejoins the others in the vehicle, ready to consecrate something for Tony. "Please, be careful," she says to him. "This woman is extremely dangerous. If you break her heart, she could rip yours out - literally."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37721
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby jp1885 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 pm

Image

Assuring Liz that he'll be fine, Tony asks for his stick to be consecrated (all the better for administering a righteous clobbering if need be).

He enters the club as if it's his second home. Choosing something suitably expensive from the menu, the playboy treats Dubrovna to a warm smile.

"What a delightful place and indeed a delightful host; thankyou very much for inviting me here. In return I shall answer you truthfully. I know very little; save for the fact that the girl we know as Kitten, who you picked up recently, can transform herself into a... panther I think? We all have our little 'specialities' don't we?"

"I'm pretty sure a fellow who calls himself Fu-Manchu wants to get his hands on her, believing the young lady to be some kind of 'chosen one'. Quite what he wants with her I don't know, but he has taken a family hostage to ensure our help in securing her."

"Of course, we have no intention of doing such a thing - live and let live, what? However we'd rather like to rescue this innocent family. We wish you and your... associates... no ill-will, and perhaps we have a common enemy in this Fu fellow? I thought perhaps we could form some sort of... alliance..?"


He puts his hands on the table, palms face up.

"There; all my cards, such as they are, laid bare."
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:53 am

SunlessNick wrote:
Zara gives effusive thanks to the guard. While the party is following the tracker, Zara will take some time with a pad and try to absently draw Kitten, in the hopes of getting a result that shows what Faux Manchu (as she's taken to thinking of him now) intends for her. She'll help the process along with some of her gin supply.


While under the influence of strong drink, Zara produces a rather charming sketch of a mother cat and her kittens.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 am

jp1885 wrote:
Assuring Liz that he'll be fine, Tony asks for his stick to be consecrated (all the better for administering a righteous clobbering if need be).

He enters the club as if it's his second home. Choosing something suitably expensive from the menu, the playboy treats Dubrovna to a warm smile.

"What a delightful place and indeed a delightful host; thankyou very much for inviting me here. In return I shall answer you truthfully. I know very little; save for the fact that the girl we know as Kitten, who you picked up recently, can transform herself into a... panther I think? We all have our little 'specialities' don't we?"

"I'm pretty sure a fellow who calls himself Fu-Manchu wants to get his hands on her, believing the young lady to be some kind of 'chosen one'. Quite what he wants with her I don't know, but he has taken a family hostage to ensure our help in securing her."

"Of course, we have no intention of doing such a thing - live and let live, what? However we'd rather like to rescue this innocent family. We wish you and your... associates... no ill-will, and perhaps we have a common enemy in this Fu fellow? I thought perhaps we could form some sort of... alliance..?"


He puts his hands on the table, palms face up.

"There; all my cards, such as they are, laid bare."


"Fair enough. I have Mrs Van der Maas in a safe location, which I shall not disclose at this time. You may not be aware that her -- condition, shall we say? -- is exacerbated by strong emotion. Unfortunately, she is a passionate young woman; a failing common to many females. I have been aware for some time that unknown powers were interested in her. Now they seem to have stepped out of the darkness.

How do you propose to find and rescue these hostages you mention, without alerting our common enemy?"
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby jp1885 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Image

Tony mulls the question over a mouthful.

“Hmm... that is something that requires a little thought... Would you be averse to using the young lady, assuming she is happy to do so, as bait?”
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby SunlessNick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Image

Zara shows the picture to Liz and Lew. "I guess this is why Faux Manchu wants Kitten. To make more Kittens. Figures."
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 am

Image

"I suspected as much," says Liz. "I imagine he wants to create an army of werecats in order to take over the world or some such thing."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37721
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:54 am

jp1885 wrote:
Tony mulls the question over a mouthful.

“Hmm... that is something that requires a little thought... Would you be averse to using the young lady, assuming she is happy to do so, as bait?”


A sound resembling a low growl emerges from deep within Miss Dubrovna's throat, at the same time that a yellowish glow, rivaling the restaurant's candles,can be seen deep within her eyes, the pupils of which have changed shape from round to elliptical.

"That sssssugessssstion makessss me upsssset," she says quietly, having acquired an odd lisp. "I flatter mysssself that I am in control of my emotionssss, but I have my limitssss."
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby jp1885 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:04 pm

Image

Tony leans back, hands up in a placating manner.

“Your control is commendable madam. I am merely thinking out loud,” he says, all thoughts of seducing the woman rapidly disappearing. “It is good that we are discussing this in a civilised manner then, so that a mutually agreeable plan can be cooked up. What then would you consider acceptable and unacceptable in the formulation of such a stratagem?”
Last edited by jp1885 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby SunlessNick » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Image

"This guy blows," Zara says, stating the obvious.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:37 am

Image

"We'll find a way to thwart his evil schemes," says Liz.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37721
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 am

Spoiler:
Having returned to her usual state of icy calm, Miss Dubrovna toys with her dessert -- which happens to be nothing more that a tiny dish of the finest imported clotted cream -- and ponders the question.

"It should be possible to infiltrate the headquarters, if they can be located, of the Doctor, through deceit. Like most men, no matter how wise, he has a weakness for feminine beauty. If you were to arrange for one of your female companions to fall into his hands, with your seeming co-operation -- but without their knowledge, of course, women generally being timid fools who would reveal your plan at the first sign of discomfort -- she might be able to serve as a distraction long enough to allow you to sabotage his lair. Such a strategy is not without great risk, of course. I am, myself, too well known to the international community to serve such a function effectively; the Doctor would know who I am at once, and be suspicious, although he does not know, as of yet, my connection to his intended target."

By this time, the meal has been completed, Miss Dubrovna smiling warmly at the male servers who clear away the dishes, while ignoring the females. The lights grow a little dimmer, and a jazz quartet begins playing soft music, and couples rise from their tables to dance.

"Shall we?" suggests Miss Dubrovna.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 am

The citizens of the City by the Bay -- don't call it Frisco -- are puzzled by a curious event that night. An unmarked airship, like that often used for advertising purposes by the Goodyear company, flies over the city. Instead of an expected message, such as HAPPY NEW YEAR, the animated lights on the side of the blimp spell out the enigmatic words 48 HOURS REMAIN. No doubt this is some kind of stunt, teasing consumers for the announcement of a big Year End Sale a couple of days from now.
User avatar
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tennessee USA

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby jp1885 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Image

Tony mulls over Dubrovna's suggestion.

"Oh my female companions as far from timid, so there's no need for such subterfuge. Perhaps if we could borrow some of Kitten's clothes? A wig and a little make-up and I'm sure one of them would double-up nicely. With such a distraction and your people's support I could infiltrate quite easily, I'm sure."

"Ah, one of my favorite tunes - I'd be delighted to cut some rug."


Ever the suave fellow, he offers his hand to lead his host to the dancefloor.
User avatar
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:39 pm

Image

"I'm a bit surprised it didn't say 'SURRENDER KITTEN,'" says Liz, watching the airship carefully to see what its heading is in order to trace its route. It would be interesting to see where it might land or moor, and she has a hunch it could be Coit Tower.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37721
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Track 7:San Francisco-Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Ha

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:58 am

Image

Is there a good vantage point Zara could get to quickly enough to watch where the airship goes? Then she could draw what she sees and see if anyone recognises the place.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Groovy Ghastly Affair

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest