Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Postby jp1885 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:30 pm

While Tony shares Don's preference for the more volumptuous Ms. Welch, he is nonetheless rather taken with Twiggy (albeit in a somewhat paternalistic way). He feels the same fellowship as he does with Liz: Brits abroad, together in adversity in the face of foreign climes and funny food.

He resolves to keep a protective eye on the young model, taking her into his confidence; in so much that there is a need to cause a bit of a ruckus.

"What do you say Miss Hornby? Wouldn't it be groovy to break with protocol and mix it up with the staff? Blurring the lines between photoshoots and real life! Let's turn this dull old factory into a real scene: a crazy happening!"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:24 pm

While Liz could certainly have doubled as a model, her part in the plan requires her to be elsewhere. Shortly before the time comes, she excuses herself to go to the lavatory - and actually goes. After all, she won't have a chance to do so once she suits up, and Winston Churchill once astutely pointed out that one should never miss the opportunity to relieve oneself. When she finishes, she remains in the locked stall with her legs pulled up so that it will appear to be empty, listening for the alarm.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:58 am

Zara dresses for the occasion in a streaked blue minidress, and positions herself near the professor so she can head him off when he looks for Liz.

[Which one of the gang is going to set the fire? It seems like it might have to be Lew]
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:11 am

jp1885 wrote:
While Tony shares Don's preference for the more voluptuous Ms. Welch, he is nonetheless rather taken with Twiggy (albeit in a somewhat paternalistic way). He feels the same fellowship as he does with Liz: Brits abroad, together in adversity in the face of foreign climes and funny food.

He resolves to keep a protective eye on the young model, taking her into his confidence; in so much that there is a need to cause a bit of a ruckus.

"What do you say Miss Hornby? Wouldn't it be groovy to break with protocol and mix it up with the staff? Blurring the lines between photoshoots and real life! Let's turn this dull old factory into a real scene: a crazy happening!"

Spoiler:
I have taken the liberty of editing Lawson to Hornby, as the person in question was not married to Mister Lawson until 1984.

"Blimey! That'd be fab!" With all the enthusiastic energy of someone under the age of twenty who has suddenly been thrust into the limelight, the young model scurries around the set, locating several tubes of paint and, apparently left behind by a caterer, a few cans of whipped cream. With the giggling help of several other members of the staff, who are ready for some fun after a long and dull photo session, soon all present are coated with the stuff, with backdrops flying everywhere and people getting tangled up in them.

"'S'like that picture Blow Up, innit? 'Cept I'll keep me threads on."

In the ensuing chaos, nobody notices a furtive figure stealthily activating a fire alarm . . .
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:20 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
While Liz could certainly have doubled as a model, her part in the plan requires her to be elsewhere. Shortly before the time comes, she excuses herself to go to the lavatory - and actually goes. After all, she won't have a chance to do so once she suits up, and Winston Churchill once astutely pointed out that one should never miss the opportunity to relieve oneself. When she finishes, she remains in the locked stall with her legs pulled up so that it will appear to be empty, listening for the alarm.

Although the position is hardly a comfortable one, fortunately Liz doesn't have to wait long before the sound of the buzzing fire alarm, followed by quickly running feet, comes from outside the ladies' room. A few seconds later, all is quiet.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:29 am

SunlessNick wrote:Zara dresses for the occasion in a streaked blue minidress, and positions herself near the professor so she can head him off when he looks for Liz.

Professor Hinkley rushes by not long after, a sheaf of papers in one hand and a beaker full of a bright blue liquid in the other.

"This will give me a chance to test my new fire-extinguishing formula," he explains. "It's a combination of cobalt chloride and a derivative of the upper cuticles of Selaginella willdenowii. But I suppose you know that. Where's the fire, anyway?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Starspawn338 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:38 am

After tripping the fire alarm, Lew will go to the security area to observe how organized the evacuation of the building is.

"Is this a drill? It's good to have fire drills." He says to the security guard.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:20 pm

"I'm not sure," Zara tells the professor, "but I don't smell any smoke. It must be in another wing." She indicates away from the direction of Liz anf the lab. Assuming he takes the bait, she heads off to get Liz.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby jp1885 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Laughing at the sheer craziness of it all (not to mention how much publicity Takara Electronics will get from having teenage models running amok through their factory), Tony does his bit to help with the evacuation by shepherding everyone away from the site of Liz and Zara's snooping.

If he spots the professor, it'll be his civic duty to steer him to safety too.

Spoiler:
Hornby! Ah yes,my mistake, thanks for rectifying that!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Liz meets up with Zara and heads to the lab with her, which isn't far, as she had chosen the nearest lavatory. "Let's hurry, we don't have much time," she says. "The fire won't keep him busy long, but hopefully the others will keep him from coming back. If anyone sees us, we just got lost on our way out."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:30 am

Starspawn338 wrote:After tripping the fire alarm, Lew will go to the security area to observe how organized the evacuation of the building is.

"Is this a drill? It's good to have fire drills." He says to the security guard.

"No drill, buddy," says one of the security guards. "Somebody set off one of the alarms. Might be a prank, what with those goofballs fooling around with the models. Believe me, pal, heads are gonna roll."

Lew is able to observe that the security headquarters contains several television monitors, indicating that there are cameras everywhere in the facility. It's impossible to keep an eye on all of the low-resolution, flickering black-and-white images, of course, but there's always the chance that one of the guards will notice something which might prove awkward to the investigators.

Spoiler:
int of the guard = 9
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:

Fortunately, they're all too busy to pay much attention to the TV screens. It's a good thing that there's no practical for a relatively small company way to maintain television broadcasts indefinitely, the so-called videotapes used by television production companies being far too expensive and bulky.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:43 am

SunlessNick wrote:
"I'm not sure," Zara tells the professor, "but I don't smell any smoke. It must be in another wing." She indicates away from the direction of Liz and the lab. Assuming he takes the bait, she heads off to get Liz.

"Thanks, Marya-- I mean, Miss James." Apparently a bit distracted by his eagerness to test his new invention, explaining his error in addressing Zara, the Professor hurries away, the papers and blue liquid clutched tightly in his hands.

Spoiler:
dex = 9
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:

Despite his haste, he moves with more grace than one might expect from an intellectual, keeping a firm grip on the things he carries.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:55 am

jp1885 wrote:Laughing at the sheer craziness of it all (not to mention how much publicity Takara Electronics will get from having teenage models running amok through their factory), Tony does his bit to help with the evacuation by shepherding everyone away from the site of Liz and Zara's snooping.

If he spots the professor, it'll be his civic duty to steer him to safety too.

Members of the famous British model's staff quickly hurry her back to her limousine, not wishing to risk losing their investment to yet-unseen flames.

"Ta! 'Sfun, innit?" With a grin and a friendly wave to Tony, she enters the vehicle, which slowly makes its way through a growing crowd of firefighters and TV reporters. Apparently an alarm at Takara Electronics quickly draws the attention of outsiders.

"If I didn't know better," mutters one of the firefighters, "I'd say this was the Master again."

By this time, the Professor shows up, looking around for the source of the fire.

"I see a great deal of highly combustible material here," he says, indicating the scattered backdrops. "But where's the fire?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz meets up with Zara and heads to the lab with her, which isn't far, as she had chosen the nearest lavatory. "Let's hurry, we don't have much time," she says. "The fire won't keep him busy long, but hopefully the others will keep him from coming back. If anyone sees us, we just got lost on our way out."

The alarm having drawn the attention of all security personnel, there is currently no one near the entrance to the lab. Liz knows that the specially designed radiation protection suits are fully adjustable, able to fit any adult of reasonably normal size, if Zara wishes to accompany her inside.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Tony winces a little at the mention of the Master, remembering all too well how he and his friends nearly succumbed to the flames.

“Yes, I heard about him: let’s hope he’s under lock and key...” he mutters.

He is brought out of his reverie by the approach of the Professor and, realising that he needs to be kept from the ‘crime scene’, tries to engage him in conversation.

“The fire? Could be anywhere couldn’t it; you know how insidious it can be. I say, what an odd-looking drink - Blue Curaçao?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Liz lets the genetic scanner read her hand to open the way to the lab. She puts on her space suit, helping Zara with hers as well if she wishes to accompany her, making sure to keep her camera on the outside. Once she's sure the seals are all secure, she types in the password "Gilligan" to open the door.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:46 am

Zara will go in with Liz - two people might be better than one if something happens - but she'll touch nothing unless Liz specifically instructs it.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:17 am

jp1885 wrote:
Tony winces a little at the mention of the Master, remembering all too well how he and his friends nearly succumbed to the flames.

“Yes, I heard about him: let’s hope he’s under lock and key...” he mutters.

He is brought out of his reverie by the approach of the Professor and, realising that he needs to be kept from the ‘crime scene’, tries to engage him in conversation.

“The fire? Could be anywhere couldn’t it; you know how insidious it can be. I say, what an odd-looking drink - Blue Curaçao?”

Seemingly bemused by the reference, the Professor shakes his head vigorously.

"This is hardly a fit substance for human consumption," he explains. "It's a self-renewing, semi-organic, oxidation-inhibiting colloid. I had hoped so much for a real demonstration. The lab tests have been quite promising, you know."

By this time, the firefighters are beginning to wonder if this is just a false alarm. They begin checking out the facility carefully, area by area, to make sure everyone is safe.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:25 am

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Liz lets the genetic scanner read her hand to open the way to the lab. She puts on her space suit, helping Zara with hers as well if she wishes to accompany her, making sure to keep her camera on the outside. Once she's sure the seals are all secure, she types in the password "Gilligan" to open the door.

The door to the room containing the gravitic wavicle production unit hisses open. The device is currently in its inactive mode, with just enough power (supplied by thick, heavy cables, obviously designed to carry a tremendous amount of electrical energy) to allow it to be activated when needed. The controls are relatively simple, basically consisting of "Start" and "Stop" switches, an intensity-controlling knob, and something that looks sort of like the top half of a very small steering wheel, designed to move the device left or right. There are also a pair of glove-like devices, of the kind people are starting to call waldoes, after the Heinlein story. These require removing the gauntlets of the radiation protection suit, in order to insert one's hands into them, to manipulate the device directly, a procedure that Liz has not yet witnessed, the purpose of which is unclear.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Hoping that the girls will be able to bamboozle any firemen that go searching their way, Tony opts to keep the more knowledgeable Professor talking.

“How fascinating! So how does it work? I bet it eats up the flames or somesuch - molecules, um, putting out the, er, doodad.”

He hopes that the fellow won’t be able to resist correcting such a dumb question.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Groovy Ghastly Affair