Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:50 am

jp1885 wrote:
Tony shakes his head groggily as he regains consciousness.

“What the deuce?” He looks around, wondering where on Earth he is. “I remember having a jolly good time... and something about golf...”

Tony has a vague memory of being at a dull, meaningless meeting. Must have been a little too much alcohol last night.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:53 am

SunlessNick wrote:
"What happened?" Zara asks, confused about why she'd be in the meeting she seems to be in.

Spoiler:
Re Lew,Telling the rest of the gang might be difficult, but Zara did take a transcript, even if it will have been removed before the injection.

Zara remembers taking careful notes on the meeting, but the content has faded from her memory. Must have been a dull affair. She does recall seeing one of the executives take the transcript and place it in his briefcase.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:57 am

Starspawn338 wrote:Image
Lew will watch with great interest as the others are given injections. He will also note how long it takes for the injection to work.

"How far back is their memory affected?" He asks the other attorneys. "Have they all signed releases for this?"

Spoiler:
Are there others that are given the injection besides Draper and the others in the group?

Lew notes that none of the executives had to submit to the procedure. That includes the lawyers, who seem to be something more than just legal staff. The injection takes effect in a few seconds, and removes almost all memories of the last hour or so.

In response to his question, one of the legal staff draws him aside.

"It's best not to ask things like that. People who get too curious have a way of disappearing."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:04 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz groggily comes to her senses and lifts up her head from the table. "Sorry, I must have nodded off for a bit," she says.

"Quite understandable. These things can be such a bore," one of the executives says with a smile. "I could use a nap myself.

With, that the meeting breaks up. Since it's the last day of the working week -- TGIF, as some college kids are saying these days -- everyone is free to make plans for the weekend.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Still puzzled by his apparent blackout, Tony suggests meeting up at Sospiri to collate what each of them has discovered.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:52 am

Liz readily agreed, eager to compare notes when not under scrutiny.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Starspawn338 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 am

"It's best not to ask things like that. People who get too curious have a way of disappearing."

"Got it." Lew replies quietly. He will carefully watch to make sure that any communication about the meeting at Sospiri is not overheard by anyone before he leaves.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:08 am

It's a typical Friday night at Sospiri. Crowded, noisy, full of the smell of fried food, alcohol, and smoke. There's an old jukebox crammed into a corner, one of the fancy ones from the 1940's, although the 45's inside it are no longer those of crooners, but of psychedelic bands. All of the investigators are present, along with teeny-boppers, hippies, bikers, and even a few squares slumming.

One of the Russian agents who went on the fateful hike with them is also present, trying to act nonchalant, saying little to keep others from noticing his accent. He acts as if he isn't paying any attention to the investigators, but it's pretty easy to tell that he's listening closely. With dark glasses, black turtleneck, and black slacks, he might be taken for a middle-aged beatnik.

Aware that at least one interested person is keeping a close watch over them, the investigators compare notes, hoping to fill in the gaps where necessary.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Starspawn338 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Speaking softly so others cannot overhear what is said at the table, Lew fills in the others as to what happened.

"Each of you were given an injection that caused you to forget what happened at the meeting. We are being followed and watched by both Takara and the Russians and inasmuch as we're not supposed to know each other, we are risking danger by meeting. Takara is working on settling the moon and they have rivals, one of which they suspect is working from a secret island. There was mention of "Gossamer Wings" as a flying vehicle but I don't know if it is Takara's or their rivals."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:13 am

"Good to know I'm not suffering from narcolepsy, at least," says Liz. She quietly tells her friends about the professor and his lab. "The genetic scanner is set up to recognise me, and I figured out the password to the lab. I also know where the space suits are stored, which we'd need in there, but I only know of two of them. The problem is that there's a guard on the door too, so it won't be easy to get in even when the professor's not around. Perhaps if the fire alarm were to go off, the building would be evacuated, including the guard, leaving it temporarily unguarded until they realise it's a false alarm."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby jp1885 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:03 pm

"I anyone can start the sirens wailing, it'd be you m'dear. An injection eh? That explains it - I was rather worried of becoming prone to blackouts. I can tell you a little about Gossamer Wings: it's a Takara Electronics project to sell plots of land on the moon. I'm somewhat involved in the marketing side of things. I didn't realise they had a vehicle of some kind bearing the same name."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:14 am

"Maybe someone else should set off the alarm," says Liz. "I'll want to be ready to get into the lab as soon as possible so that I can maximize my time in there. If I didn't know any better, I'd think selling land on the moon was just a scam. They could probably make more of a profit faking things and ripping people off than they would by truly finding a way to get them to the moon."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:28 am

Just after this conversation takes place, the Russian agent hurries away, obviously intent on reporting what he has heard to his superiors. Nobody else in the room seems to be paying any attention to the investigators.

The possibility of setting off a fire alarm having been raised, it remains to be seen who would be bold enough to undertake such a scheme. (The facility is equipped with a very modern fire protection system, not only including multiple alarms and fire extinguishers, but automatic fire suppression systems that release Halon 1301 into particularly sensitive areas.)

Saturday evening slowly turns into Sunday morning, a day when Takara Electronics is staffed with only a skeleton crew. Another decision to be made is whether it would be safer to attempt such a strategy when there are fewer people about, although this might make the actions of the investigators more conspicuous, or to wait until Monday, when the place is fully staffed, risking more witnesses, but making it possible that a few people might be able to get away with unnoticed actions among the crowd.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:29 pm

Tony ponders the situation.

"We'd stick out like a sore thumb, unless... Hmm... Yes! A promotional photo shoot! What if I called Draper with a sudden inspirational idea - a Sunday evening photo shoot at Takara Electronics with a bunch of glamorous people (yours truly included). We could create a bit of a ruckus, get everyone distracted and allow you guys to get in there and set off the alarm. With a bit of persuasion, I daresay Draper could get a shoot together at short notice."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:17 am

"Sounds cool to me," Zara says.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:40 am

"I think we should consider doing this on Monday instead," says Liz. "If it happens when there are fewer people there, there is greater likelihood of suspicion falling on us instead of someone else. There will be more people there, yes, but that will mean more confusion, which will work in our favour. Once the evacuation is complete, everyone but me and whoever accompanies me into the lab will be out of the building anyway. Now, my plan is that we will do this at a prearranged time. Perhaps during lunch, when most people will be clustered in the cafeteria. Shortly before the time we do this, I'll excuse myself to go to the lavatory and hide there. Whoever is going to set off the alarm may want to start an actual, small, contained fire - perhaps a smouldering cigarette tossed carelessly into a wastebasket, on the opposite side of the building from the lab. That way, there will be less suspicion, and there will be justification for setting off the alarm. The professor may not want to leave without me. Zara, you'll need to make sure he does. You can tell him you saw me go to the ladies' room and tell him to get out while you fetch me. He can't go in there himself, after all. I can bring one other person into the lab, as there's only the two suits as far as I know. I'll have a small camera with me so I can take pictures of any documents or equipment we find that's relevant."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:11 am

As the investigators discuss their various plans, leading to a firm but polite difference of opinion as to the best day to enact their schemes, the deadlock is broken by the return of the Russian agent. He does not explain his activities during the brief time he was away, but one may speculate that he was in contact with his superiors in some manner. Be that as it may, he shuffles into the place, acting the role of one who has imbibed too freely, stumbling into the investigators with a loud but slurred "'scuse me," as well as a soft but clear "Do both." He then finds his way to an dark corner and seems to fall alseep.

Assuming that the Soviets want the investigators to obtain more information about Takara Electronics and their secretive activities on both Sunday and Monday, it seems that it only remains for those present to decide who else will participate in plans outlined by Tony and Liz, and in what manner. (Obviously two fire alarms a day apart is too suspicious; but perhaps Tony might be able to come up with some other strategy for Sunday night. In any case, a few phone calls yield the information that Don Draper has no objection to a Sunday night photo shoot, advertising folks being used to odd hours.)
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am

Amusingly, Tony was just about to defer to Liz’s more sensible plan when the Russian intervened. However his insistence that they do both gives him an idea.

“What if we put the photo shoot back to Monday lunchtime? That way we can draw the attention of as many staff as possible while you set off the alarm.”

If the others agree, he will call Don to rearrange the shoot, citing better light levels and how he is more photogenic in daylight.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:23 am

"There's a thought," says Liz. "The more distractions, the better."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:16 am

The lunchtime photo session is arranged. By happenstance, or so it seems, Takara Electronics also manages to have a newly popular British fashion model show up.

"Don't see why you Brits are ga-ga over this skinny little dame," Don Draper admits to Tony while planning the shoot. "Of course, I never thought the Beatles would catch on, so who knows. Lesley something. They call her the Stick, or some damn such. Not my type. Give me Raquel Welch in a fur bikini any day. You see One Million Years B.C. yet? Momma mia!"

The very young woman -- she's still a teenager -- arrives from LAX in a limousine and is introduced to everybody working on the ad, a promotion for a new watch from Takara Electronics that displays the time in bright red numbers on the dial of the large, "mod"-styled timepiece when you press a button. With her boyish figure, short hair dyed lemon-yellow, and enormous eyes, she's hardly the Playboy type, but striking enough in her own way. Still a little naive and uncertain, despite her sudden fame, she seems to relax a little when she meets Tony, because of their common nationality. (There's no way to miss this fact, given her thick Cockney accent.)

The session begins, allowing the investigators to undertake their plans.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Groovy Ghastly Affair