Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:17 pm

Liz rests her head against the helmet of Zara's space suit. "These suits are airtight," she says, "and sound doesn't propagate through them. You're only hearing my voice now because when our helmets touch, the vibrations carry the sounds from one to the other. In order to speak to each other, we have to put our heads together. We don't have much time. The gravitic device I've seen in action before, and that's a side project, so we need not be concerned with that." She indicates it. Taking her camera out, she does a quick search through the lab for anything that might have to do with Takara's lunar project.

Spoiler:
Wisdom roll (10 + 1[Discover Secrets] + 1[Scientific Knowledge] + 3[Sharp Eyes) trying to find something relevant to the moon project in the lab:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d20:
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:01 am

Zara nods - being unlikely to recognise anything of value, and unwilling to touch anything technical looking, she elects to keep a lookout for anyone coming. And prepares a cover story of Dr North wanting to make sure that nothing inside the sealed area could be damaged by the fire.
SunlessNick
Adept
Adept

Postby Starspawn338 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:46 am

"If it's not a drill, shouldn't you leave too? I mean if you have some way of telling where the fire is, I suppose you would stay here and help coordinate with the firemen but otherwise, you're just waiting here to die or find out it's a false alarm. But then again, false alarms would be second only to actual fire drills when the alarms go off. An actual fire would be extremely rare." Lew has his hands in his pockets and sways back and forth as he pontificates.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 am

jp1885 wrote:
Hoping that the girls will be able to bamboozle any firemen that go searching their way, Tony opts to keep the more knowledgeable Professor talking.

“How fascinating! So how does it work? I bet it eats up the flames or somesuch - molecules, um, putting out the, er, doodad.”

He hopes that the fellow won’t be able to resist correcting such a dumb question.

The Professor draws Tony away from the crowd, to a relatively safe and quiet area; to wit, a empty part of the parking lot, away from the emergency vehicles.

"I'm glad you're so interested. It would be much easier to demonstrate. Do you happen to have a match or a cigarette lighter about you?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

Mr. Handy wrote:Liz rests her head against the helmet of Zara's space suit. "These suits are airtight," she says, "and sound doesn't propagate through them. You're only hearing my voice now because when our helmets touch, the vibrations carry the sounds from one to the other. In order to speak to each other, we have to put our heads together. We don't have much time. The gravitic device I've seen in action before, and that's a side project, so we need not be concerned with that." She indicates it. Taking her camera out, she does a quick search through the lab for anything that might have to do with Takara's lunar project.

Spoiler:
Wisdom roll (10 + 1[Discover Secrets] + 1[Scientific Knowledge] + 3[Sharp Eyes) trying to find something relevant to the moon project in the lab:
Original post: Mr. Handy rolled 1d20:

A quick search through the room fails to reveal little that is directly related to such a project, with the exception of a file cabinet in the corner of the room. One of the drawers of the cabinet is locked, and bears the label GOSSAMER WINGS -- CONFIDENTIAL. There is also a piece of paper, apparently dropped on the floor and forgotten, with a few handwritten words on it, as if someone had started working on the draft of an article and hadn't gotten any further than the title. It reads ARTIFICIALLY INDUCED ENHANCEMENTS OF HUMAN CHARACTERISTICS VIA CONTROLLED EXPOSURE TO GAMMA RADIATION AS PREPARATION FOR MANNED SPACEFLIGHT: A PRELIMINARY REPORT.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 am

Starspawn338 wrote:"If it's not a drill, shouldn't you leave too? I mean if you have some way of telling where the fire is, I suppose you would stay here and help coordinate with the firemen but otherwise, you're just waiting here to die or find out it's a false alarm. But then again, false alarms would be second only to actual fire drills when the alarms go off. An actual fire would be extremely rare." Lew has his hands in his pockets and sways back and forth as he pontificates.

"Not to worry, Pops. We've got cameras looking at every part of this facility. Any funny business going on, we'll be the first to know."

Despite this speech from the Director of Security, it's obvious that the other workers in his department have scattered; whether to escape possible harm themselves, or to help others evacuate, is a moot point. Notably, the Director doesn't pay any attention to the television screens himself.

"I might ask you the same thing. Why are you hanging around? I can tell from your ID Badge that you're not a real employee, just one of them, what-ya-call-its, a Consultant. Ain't you got someone to Consult somewhere?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 am

Happy to keep the Professor occupied, Tony produces a lighter for the demonstration.

During their chat, he idly name-drops project Gossamer Wings in an attempt to get the fellow pontificating about the subject.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Liz photographs the paper she found on the floor. She'll have time to read it later, but it reminds her of experiments she has heard of performed by Dr. Bruce Banner, who was known for his work with gamma rays. Then, borrowing a paper clip from one of the unlocked drawers of the filing cabinet, she unbends it and uses it in an effort to pick the lock.

Spoiler:
Dexterity roll (12 + 1[Discover Secrets] = 13) to pick the lock:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d20:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Starspawn338 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:55 am

"I might ask you the same thing. Why are you hanging around? I can tell from your ID Badge that you're not a real employee, just one of them, what-ya-call-its, a Consultant. Ain't you got someone to Consult somewhere?"

"I am consulting. I am reviewing the fire alarm evacuation procedure with you." Lew says crisply. "Did you take me for an old doddering fool? At any rate, you are quite efficient and I will note that in my report." Lew nods in satisfaction to the man.
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:20 pm

jp1885 wrote:
Happy to keep the Professor occupied, Tony produces a lighter for the demonstration.

During their chat, he idly name-drops project Gossamer Wings in an attempt to get the fellow pontificating about the subject.

"Um, er, never heard of it. Why do you ask?"

Spoiler:
int = 7 + detect lies + 1 = 8
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:

The Professor's mind seems to be entirely on testing his firefighting substance, so it's impossible to tell if he means what he said or not.

Meanwhile, he places a small drop of the liquid on the ground, near the flame from Tony's lighter. The flame goes out immediately, even though the blue stuff isn't even touching it. More remarkable is the fact that the substance expands rapidly, growing in size from, say, that of a dime to that of a silver dollar, in a few seconds. It continues to increase in size as the Professor watches, clearly pleased by its success.

By this time, people are figuring out that there's no threat of fire, so folks are going back to their jobs.

"Takara's gonna pay for all this trouble," the fire chief murmurs. "Lotta money just got wasted."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:42 pm

Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz photographs the paper she found on the floor. She'll have time to read it later, but it reminds her of experiments she has heard of performed by Dr. Bruce Banner, who was known for his work with gamma rays. Then, borrowing a paper clip from one of the unlocked drawers of the filing cabinet, she unbends it and uses it in an effort to pick the lock.

Spoiler:
Dexterity roll (12 + 1[Discover Secrets] = 13) to pick the lock:
Original post: Mr. Handy rolled 1d20:

Spoiler:
Borderline result, so let's make this interesting.

After a great deal of struggling, Liz manages to pop open the lock, but only in such a way that the mechanism breaks apart completely, making it impossible to clock it again. It will be immediately obvious that somebody broke in.

In any case, the file is full of sheets of paper; reports, lab tests, and so on, probably an inch or so thick, each one marked CONFIDENTIAL. It would take quite a bit of time to make sense of them.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:43 pm

Starspawn338 wrote:Image

"I am consulting. I am reviewing the fire alarm evacuation procedure with you." Lew says crisply. "Did you take me for an old doddering fool? At any rate, you are quite efficient and I will note that in my report." Lew nods in satisfaction to the man.

"Uh, thanks." Mollified, the security chief glances at the cameras.

Spoiler:
int = 9
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:44 pm

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Starspawn338 wrote:Image

"Uh, thanks." Mollified, the security chief glances at the cameras.

Spoiler:
int = 9
Original post: VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:

He doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary. He gets on a microphone, which apparently reaches speakers located throughout the facility.

"All clear. Return to your stations. All clear."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Tony continues in his attempt to keep the Professor occupied, despite the fact that everyone else is drifting back to work.

"Oh, it was just something people have been talking about," he replies vaguely. "Some kind of advertising campaign - possibly for a feminine hygiene product by the sound of things."

"That invention of yours is amazing!"
he continues, genuinely impressed. "It'll revolutionise firefighting. If you need us to market it for you, please drop n to the advertising department - it'd be an honour to work with you."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:56 am

Liz knows that there's no time to look at the documents now, and she planned for that. She quickly photographs them, then puts everything back the way they found it and closes the filing cabinet, though there's nothing she can do about the lock. Then she takes Zara by the arm and leads her out of the lab.

Spoiler:
My plan did call for whoever set off the alarm (which turned out to be Lew) to start an actual contained fire by tossing a smoldering cigarette into a wastebasket.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 am

Zara touches her helmet to Liz's. "I don't think we can stay here much longer. We need to get out of these things before anyone comes back." If Liz has a second camera, Zara will help take quick photographs of the confidentual papers.
SunlessNick
Adept
Adept

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:05 am

"Agreed," says Liz, already hurrying. The little cameras, ironically, are of Japanese manufacture.

Spoiler:
Yes, since I knew in advance you'd be going with me, I'd have a camera for each of us.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Starspawn338 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 am

Lew will head outside to have a bowl of tobacco and people watch as the fire drill ends.
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 am

Spoiler:
small wastebasket fire noted

When the firefighters make their final inspection, they discover the source of the alarm. Somebody must have smoking and thrown the smoldering butt into a trash can. Looks like more mandatory safety training for all personnel.

Of more immediate concern is the scene just outside the photographic studio, where the Professor's blue liquid is growing at a rapid rate, until it covers most of the floor, and begins spreading to other areas. Those present notice that the air in the room seems thin, as if they were at a very high elevation.

While this is going on, Liz and Zara manage to get out of the lab unobserved. Eventually the broken lock will be noticed, but the consequences of that remain to be seen.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:57 am

Liz makes sure the spacesuits are stored back exactly where she had found them and hides her camera in her cleavage, suggesting that Zara do the same. Then they can just pretend that they returned with everyone else after the all clear sounded. She'll develop the film and study the materials offsite on her own time. While she is extremely curious as to their contents, she can wait until it's safe.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Groovy Ghastly Affair