Ch.8 Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Re: Ch.8 Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down

Postby Bullfrog » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 am

Spoiler:
no problem, but I might have to ditch the flashlight, seeing as my rifle skill is only 50%

Spoiler:
Bullfrog rolled 1d100:
San now 63

Lawrence was shocked by the horrific, bloody spectacle, but managed to keep his stomach contents where they belonged. He said nothing, with an expression with equal parts horror and disgust on his face as he angled his firearm at the pinned-down Brophy.
Bullfrog
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:15 am

"The man's no threat now; he's dying," says William. He tries to stop the bleeding, reasoning that he can't talk if he's dead. He probably couldn't talk regardless with his throat cut, but he may be able to write if he recovers.

Spoiler:
The best way to use a long gun and a flashlight at the same time is to duct tape the flashlight under or over the barrel.

Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing Brophy:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

Sanity is now 64.

First Aid roll (50% skill) to save Brophy's life:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

HP recovered by Brophy:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d3:
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Philulhu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:58 am

William’s assessment of Robert’s condition was correct; his treatment could only prolong the older Brophy brother’s life for a matter of minutes. His mouth moved continuously but there was no sound, just blood bubbling at his throat. As William administered to Robert, he noticed that the blood on his chest wasn’t just overspill from open wound at his throat; it looked as if a symbol had been carved into his flesh.

As Howard turned away from the room and wiped his mouth, he heard a thumping noise from the nearby staircase, as if someone had just fallen from the floor above and hit every step on the way down...

Spoiler:
Duct tape won’t be invented for a couple of decades: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape. I’ve not found any historical references to flashlights being taped to weapons so I don’t think it’s something that’s likely in this time period. If you have any references that show otherwise, I’m happy to reconsider.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:58 am

"What the hell?" cries Howard.

He grips his gun firmly and moves out to investigate.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Philulhu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:01 am

Spoiler:
Howard walked the short distance to the upwards staircase and carefully looked around the corner and up the stairs. Looking back at him with dead eyes was body of a young creole man, lying upside down on the stairs, with a metallic spine buried deep in his chest.

OOC: Sorry, another SAN check required! (0/1d3)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Spoiler:
SAN 45: SAN: 1d100 67
SAN loss: 1d3 1 44

Howard shudders at the sight of the spine in the body, but he retains enough of his wits to realise what has happened.

"The killer's upstairs!" he shouts.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Bullfrog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 am

Upon hearing Howard's shout, Lawrence rushes out of the room and to the staircase to investigate.
Bullfrog
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:48 am

"Who did this to you?" William asks Robert. "Write it with the blood." He moves to cover the stairs with his shotgun.

Spoiler:
I'd looked at the same wiki page before posting, and it mentioned that there were similar adhesive tapes that existed in 1930. However, I don't know of any references to it being used in that way, so maybe nobody had figured out that particular use of it yet, though it has so many uses.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby peper757 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:42 pm

”You handle him.” Thomas says to William without waiting for a response. He rushes out of the room to join the others at the staircase.
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Philulhu » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:36 pm

As Thomas exited the room, William found himself alone with Robert. The old man glared balefully but made no attempt to write the names of his assailant. A moment or two passed before it occurred to William that a man with his arms pinned to the floor with metallic spines might struggle to practice his penmanship...

Spoiler:
I can’t find any references, either. I’ve had a look at the history of flashlights, etc. but can’t see any mention. The idea of taping magazines together started in WWII - presumably as a by-product of the availability of duct tape, so I think the idea of taping things to rifles might well be of the same vintage. It’s interesting what you find out playing this game!

Spoiler:
Lawrence and Thomas moved quickly to join Howard at the foot of the stairs. Like him, they greeted by the disturbing sight of the dead Creole, with a metallic spine buried need in his chest and blood that had started to trickle from his nose and mouth.

OOC: Lawrence/Thomas - SAN check please (0/1d3)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:12 am

William removes the spines that are pinning Robert's arms.

Spoiler:
Whoops, I'd forgotten or missed that from the description.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Bullfrog » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Spoiler:
Bullfrog rolled 1d100:

Spoiler:
Bullfrog rolled 1d3:

Lawrence is shocked and startled by the sudden appearance of a corpse that wasn't here earlier, which confirms the killer is indeed still here. Carefully stepping over the body, he climbs up the stairs to face whatever is up there.
Spoiler:
We do have rope, so could I partially untwist some of it and tie the flashlight to the rifle that way?
Bullfrog
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm

Howard follows Lawrence, wiping the sweat from his face.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby peper757 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 pm

Spoiler:
Sanity(79)
peper757 rolled 1d100:

Thomas, still unfazed, continues after Howard and Lawrence.
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Philulhu » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:11 am

Spoiler:
As soon as Robert’s hands were free, he sat up, grabbed the spikes that secured his legs to the floor and tried to wrench them free. Whatever inhuman power had kept him alive so far, clearly did not intend to give him up, just yet...

OOC: Robert strength check
Philulhu rolled 1d100:

Spoiler:
The three men made their way quickly up the stairs, and emerged onto a landing bathed in late-afternoon sunshine. Unlike the lower floors of the house, the windows were un-shuttered and they had to blink a few times for their eyes to adjust.

As vision returned, they found themselves staring ahead into a bedroom, where two children sat playing. A Creole boy, who looked to be about seven, was focused on the wooden trains in front of him, but his companion, a dark-haired Caucasian girl a year or two older, looked up from her doll and said, “Bonjour. Qui est-tu?”

Spoiler:
I’ve given some thought to the flashlight/rifle issue.

Although a patent for a revolver-mounted flashlight existed in 1912, US police departments were teaching their patrolmen how to use a flashlight with a pistol in 1930, which suggests that the concept of a mounted flashlight had yet to gain much traction even 10 years after our investigation is set.

To me, the idea seems out of time, more suitable to an investigation set in the 1980s onwards. I’m not going to outright forbid it, but if you want to pursue it, it will require a extreme party IDEA roll (borrowing from the 7th Ed. rules) to come up with the idea in the first place, plus a hard DEX roll to attach a flashlight to a weapon. Bear in mind the reliability of the equipment you are using, there may be other penalties imposed as well.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:12 am

William keeps his shotgun ready in case Robert tries to attack him with the spikes. "Good thinking," he says. "you can write the name on the floor with the spikes."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby peper757 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 pm

Ignoring the children before him, Thomas shouts out "I'll check the other rooms!". He goes over to the bedroom to the left of the stairs and begins to look for any sign of the killer.
peper757
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Bullfrog » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 pm

The sight of children, of all things, really caught Lawrence off guard. After a few moments of utterly dumbstruck silence, he put away his light and heads off to the small bedroom to the right of the stairs to go hunt down the killer.
Bullfrog
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Philulhu » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 pm

Spoiler:
As William covered Robert with the shotgun, the older man sank back to the floor as if the effort had become too much for him. His right hand scrabbled weakly for the metallic spine and he pulled it towards him, feeling for the tip as if searching for the correct grip on a pen.

The creaking sound of footsteps from above was a momentary distraction for William, and when he looked back at Robert, he had already shaped up and was ready to throw the spine in Wiiliam’s direction!

OOC: Mr Handy - you have initiative and can act first.

Spoiler:
The rear bedroom Thomas entered appeared unused. The furniture was covered in dustsheets and there did not appear to be anyone there.

Spoiler:
Lawrence turned to the right and moved quickly to the small bedroom at the front of the house. It was neat and tidy and looked well cared for. In the corner opposite the doorway was a second door, standing ajar, which presumably lead into the second, larger bedroom at the front of the house.

Spoiler:
The young girl watched Thomas and Lawrence move off to the other rooms and then looked back to Howard. “Où est Oncle Guillaume?! Où est Jacque?!” she demanded, looking upset.

The young boy looked up from his toy trains and studied Howard with a puzzled frown, before standing up to face him. There was something unnerving about the way the child stood, stretching and curling his hands as if preparing himself for something.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:27 am

Already expecting this, William scrambles back out of the door and ducks around the corner so that Robert cannot see him to target him with the spike. He doesn't want to shoot him, as then he'll be blamed for his death. Besides, he's not eager to put the ungrateful man out of his misery. The worst thing he can do to him is to let him die slowly.

Spoiler:
Dodge roll (20% base skill) to avoid the spike (if necessary):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin