Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right, that's good," says William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"We'll be waiting," Alex says. "Have a good night."
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"There shouldn't be any problem with that." Lawrence replies with a nod. "Show up whenever you think the best time would be, since we'll probably be spending most of the day at the set."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by jp1885 »

After driving back to his modest flat, Sean quickly types up his piece on the band. Then, if it’s not too late, he’ll look through his old(ish) notepads to see if they contain anything, considering there’s possibly a dangerous killer on the loose, unusual. In other words, any hit and runs or disappearances that have yet to be solved.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Philulhu »

Monday May 2nd, 1973 8.30am.
Purton Manor, Brichester, England.

The night had passed uneventfully and there was no clamour for an early start, so everyone had been able to catch up on their sleep. As they began to stir, they heard the Transit van starting up, then the crunch of the tyres on the stones as it left the courtyard.

Looking out, Jim was sat by the fire, drinking tea and smoking his first cigarette of the day. ”’Morning!” he called out, oblivious to anyone who may have been trying to get a lie-in. ”There’s no rush - Georges and Baz have taken the van to go scouting a new location. Georges reckons he’s come up with a new finale for the film!”

- - -

Across town, Sean had risen early to finish reading through his notebooks. Brichester being a town surrounded by countryside made for a fair few accidents as townies got into scrapes with some of the farmers (who generally tanked around the back roads as if no one else ever used them) but there was nothing to suggest any sort of pattern of unsolved crimes. Nor was there anything to indicate that a hitherto undiscovered serial killer had been operating. Murders happened infrequently in the town and when they did, for the all too human of reasons; domestic violence, drink, and the shagging of someone else’s wife… …

Any lines of enquiry you wish to follow up?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Which location is he scouting?" asks William, though he already has a feeling he knows. "Is it the lake?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

"It would make sense if he chose it, since the lake's about the only natural landmark in the area, not to mention the legend behind it." Lawrence adds as he exits the tent; much like his lawyer friend, he believed to already know what answer would be coming.
"Any word on what happens in the new finale?"

OOC: I'll just say that Lawrence, during the night, told William and Alex about the strange features of the tracks he found by the lake.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

At the same time that the others are contemplating their next move, Sean’s battered VW chunters into the yard.

The reporter emerges, camera slung over his shoulder and notebook flipped open in what he hopes is the style of a seasoned newshound.

Unless anyone stops him, he’ll make a beeline for his new acquaintances.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Could’ve been,” replied Jim, scratching at his unshaven chin. ”That was that creepy place we went the other day, wasn’t it?” As he spoke, he spotted Sean approaching. ”Here’s your pal from last night,” he said.

”Want an interview with a film star?” he asked Sean, with a cheeky grin.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's the place," says William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sean tries to match Jim’s grin. After a quick glance to the others, he nods.

“Yeah, that’d be great. I’d like to talk to Georges too - he’s the top man, yeah?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Well, Baz is the Director but Georges is the writer and helps to bring in the money, so I guess he’s pulling the strings,” said Jim. ”He said they were off scouting a location but didn’t say what the finale was. He was poking around the house last night and complaining about the scale of the rooms - wants something bigger, more grand, apparently. He asked me if I could swim - I hope he was joking!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I see," Alex exchanges a look with the others. He's tempted to warn Jim, and thinks the time to do so is fast approaching, but he wants to talk to the others first. "How many people went off with Georges?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Just Baz, I think. Anu’s still sleeping,” replied Jim, glancing over to the Director’s tent.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If he asked if you can swim," says William, "they probably did go to the lake. We could try going there in Sean's car and see if we can catch up to them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

"If we're going in his car, it's going to be a tight fit." Lawrence notes, already expecting the "fun" of having to cram himself into a car made for people much smaller than himself. "Did you get to speak much with Georges, Jim? Did he act strange or suspicious at all?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Watching the others’ reaction and between the lines, Sean develops a bad feeling about this…

“Yeah, I can drive us to the lake. Perhaps we’d better see if Anu’s awake first though?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Jim wandered over to the tent Anu shared with Baz. ”Still sleeping,” he reported.

”We had a chat in his tent last night,” Jim nodded to a more modern tent at the end of the row of tents. ”He was wanting to know how filming was going, how things were on set, and the like. I put in a good word for you, Yanks! He was complaining about the set though, like I said, and I mentioned that I’d taken you up to the lake up the road and it had a spooky atmosphere. He seemed quite taken by that!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll bet he was," says William. "Thank you, Jim. Let's go up to the lake again and see if he's there." And hope he hasn't murdered Baz yet, he thinks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Right, the sooner the better." Alex says. Then, he looks to Jim. "After we get back, I think we'll need to have a talk. Given recent events, I think Georges may well be dangerous."

Return to “Servants of the Lake”