Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm from Boston," says William. "I've never been in a movie before, but I've done a little stage acting. Shakespeare, mostly."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"I don't have much experience, but the agent said I had promise." Lawrence cordially responds, knowing full well that the latter would have been untrue if he had even spoken to the casting agent. "I am Lawrence Gilman, and I'm from Arkham. Bit of a small city, you probably haven't heard of it."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"As am I. I'm a newcomer but really eager to show what I can do." Alex says, trying to appear enthusiastic.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Georges nodded as they explained where they were from and summarised their acting experience. ”I have some minor adjustments to make to the script,” he said airily, “So I will bear you in mind.” He turned back to Barry and they were soon deep in a discussion about the script and the following day’s shooting.

After ten minutes, Barry announced that Georges was kindly going to pay for fish and chips for everyone and a couple of the crew were dispatched in the van to pick them up. Half an hour later, everyone was sat around the campfire, tucking into the great British delicacy and drinking a fizzy, bland beer from a Watney’s Party Seven can, which Jim had somehow opened with a screwdriver...
OOC, Any questions you want to ask of anyone before we move onto the following day?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William is just glad to have any beer. Back home this would be illegal, and he isn't one to break the law, unless it's for a very good reason. He appreciates the fish and chips as well.
OOC, No questions from me.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex resists the urge to arrest everyone present, and declines the beer. It was still illegal where he came from after all.

"Do we agree that there was something weird going on up at that lake?" He whispers to the other two. "Maybe we should go up there alone and take a look sometime-- if Brophy's here and causing trouble, he's probably doing it at a lake."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, but it's probably not a good idea to go there at night," says William.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

"We've never had good luck around lakes at night. It's like stepping directly onto a beartrap to find out who set it." Lawrence quietly responds, not eager to hold this conversation while in the proximity of strangers. "We'd best save this talk for later."

Lawrence, who had been quite young when the Volstead Act was passed, readily accepted the beer but ultimately found it a bit disappointing; he wished he could have got the chance to try finer stuff, but this would suffice. At least the fish and chips was great.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Sunday May 1st, 1973 4.15pm.
Purton Manor, Brichester, England.

With Georges in situ, Sunday had turned out to be a busy day. Filming had taken place in the Manor House with Jim and his leading lady in fine form. The frustration of the delays of the previous days meant that everyone was eager to get as much done as they could and filming had gone smoothly, with everyone pitching in.

There wasn’t much call for extras so Alex, Lawrence and William found themselves employed holding microphones, moving props and generally running errands, but Georges and Barry were so appreciative of their help, it didn’t feel like a chore at all.

Tired but satisfied with their days’ work, they returned to the campsite, where a pile of sticks and a newspaper were ready to get the campfire going again. As they walked toward’s their tent to freshen up, the headline - Mystery Surrounds Accident Victim - caught their attention...

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That must have been the red car we saw speeding past yesterday," says William. "I wonder if the dead woman is Miss Dufresne. We should go have a look."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"The chances of a car that looks just like Georges' hitting someone and his own vehicle breaking down the very same day strikes me as too big a coincidence," Alex says. "He might be worth looking into as well."
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

"If it was his car that hit that woman, then I don't think it broke down; I'm not the detective here, but he could have hidden the car somewhere to keep out of any trouble." Lawrence soberly adds. "And if the lady was Ms. Dufresne, and she probably is, then we've got a whole other problem: we don't know what happened to Brophy. He's already come back from the dead once, and God only knows if he can do it again."
He felt disheartened knowing that Brophy could have claimed another life as collateral damage, but that was a frustrating reality of these events that had consumed his life for the past months.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC, How do you plan to investigate?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC, We could come forward like the newspaper article said and say we think she may be a missing fellow American, then ask to look at her to see if we can identify her.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc, We could also give the police Georges name and have them interview him and make him produce the car to see if he's involved. Not that I think this will totally solve the problem, given this is CoC and not Law and Order. ;)
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

OOC, I think a combination of those two ideas should work pretty well. Knock on wood, of course.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Sorry for the delay - issues logging in.

So what’s your plan? Where/who are you going to see?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I was thinking we would go to see the police first.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc,

Sounds good. Asking if the victim was Dufresne and then letting the cops know Georges has a car like the one involved in the accident.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Reluctantly, Jim agreed to drive them into Brichester again, grumbling how it seemed he was the chauffeur, not the star of the show. In town, he pulled up at the police station and said he’d wait while they spoke to the police.

The Police Station was a modern two-storey building that looked more like an office than a police station, but inside they were greeted by the desk sergeant, an older, bearded officer with thinning brown hair. The buttons on his blue serge jacket had recently been polished and glinted in the sterile strip lighting of the reception area.

”How can I help you, gentlemen?” he greeted them as they entered.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”