Ch.12a. Arkham

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Ch.12a. Arkham

Post by jp1885 »

Somewhat taken aback by the fellow’s appearance and uncompromising manner, Ivy coughs and splutters a little.

“That’s all well and good, but how does one lure a ghost?”

Sensing that her visitor’s patience is nearing an end, she pushes for one more answer.

“And, should I achieve this, what do I get in return?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Your colleagues will be returned to you,” was the reply, the unstated inference being that that should be enough.

”Open the gate by which he passed and he will return.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Easier said than done,” replies Ivy. “I have someone studying Brophy’s book; I will speak to them tomorrow - maybe they have translated it.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Maybe.”

Her visitor stepped back into the shadows. ”Sleep now,” he said, and despite herself, Ivy felt her eyes close and her head slumped against the pillow, the light susurration of her breathing the only sound to be heard... ...

- - - - -

Tuesday March 18th, 1930 7.00am.
The home of Ivy Ripley, Arkham, Mass.

Ivy awoke to the sound of her neighbour’s door slamming. No matter how many times she mentioned it, he was yet to sort the problem out.

Looking down the bed, there was no sign of her nocturnal visitor, she was relieved to see.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Deeply troubled and bemused by the encounter, Ivy performs her ablutions before breakfasting and heading to work.

As soon as she can, she calls the university see if they’ve made any progress translating the book.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ivy couldn’t speak to the Professor but her secretary told that she was expecting her call and there was a parcel waiting for her in the office.

When Ivy called by to collect it, she found a parcel wrapped in brown paper and tied with string. Inside, she found the journal and a note with a neat handwritten transcript of the Latin text that she had found earlier.

I stand here, there and ever was standing between now and the future. And open the gate, step by step, and I accept that I will pass through the gate and be transformed.

The ships of fate will merge in transience. I have spoken and the fates will help me find my destination.

Open the gate! That is so I can continue without place and without slowing. Open the gate! I flower by the notion that everything in the world is my domain. Open the gate! I will travel there and I can not be gainsaid.

Heed the winds of time and seek their counsel. I offer a gift to breathe life into these words. I cannot see the door to the gate, nor place to place. Talk to me, winds, tell me what lies on the other side.

I stand in this place with the gate beyond the world. The magic links the here, the now, the there and the then! Open the gate!

An underlined note in the margin - Better in Latin! - was the only other thing written on the paper.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy frowns, baffled by the nonsensical passage. Is this something she’ll need to read aloud in Latin? She wonders.

In search of further clues, she decides to check in on the Livingstone girl in case she has remembered anything else, before contacting the police photographer to examine the photos that have been taken over the last few days.

(OOC I can’t remember if she’s got copies or not)

That leaves the strange paintings; clearly part of whatever ritual Brophy/Dufresne used to open this ‘gate’. No doubt the police will have taken them as evidence; perhaps she can get hold of them?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Spoiler:
Ivy had photos from Emily’s room but not from the sanitarium.
Tuesday March 18th, 1930 9.35am.
Arkham PD, 302 E Armitage Street, Arkham, Mass.

Ivy had called ahead and an envelope with photographs was waiting for her, as was Captain Keats. ”Miss Ripley,” he greeted her. “How goes your investigation?”

Return to “Servants of the Lake”