Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Ch.12b. Caught somewhere in time

Post by Philulhu »

The librarian shook her head. ”Not that I know of,” she replied. ”As far as I’m aware, there was just the two of those Brophy brothers. They left after the trial. Aggie’s family had been living away but when they heard about her troubles they came back to town to help her out.”

“I don’t know the details. According to my grandma, none of the family would ever talk about it.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"And what year was this around if you recall it, ma'am?" Alex asks. "In any event, it gives me no pleasure to tell you the family's still rotten to the core. We'll do everything we can to bring them to justice."

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Oh, it was more than 100 years ago. Those Brophy brothers will be long dead by now. I don’t think they were young men when they left Brichester,” replied the Librarian.
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

"The Brophy we're after must have been named after the old William, though I find it a bit odd that he'd be able to sire children at such an age; to be honest, I'd prefer not to think about it." Lawrence observes. "What became of Thomas Lee? If he has any living descendants, our William Brophy may try to manipulate them; he did it once before, back in the United States."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”He disappeared about the same time as the Brophys did,” explained the Librarian. ”With them gone, Lee had no-one to look after him, so he upped sticks and left, as I heard it. He wouldn’t have been missed - they were a bad lot...”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What do you know about the lake?" asks William. "The Brophy we're looking for seems to be obsessed with lakes, and that lake's history would probably draw him."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Brichester Lake?” asked the Librarian. ”Well, technically it’s called Deepfall Waters but everyone around here refers to it as ‘The Lake’. It’s been there for time immemorial - Thomas Lee and the Brophys lived in an old Manor House up there apparently, although that’s long gone and there’s houses on there now.”

Outside they heard the strident ringing of a bell like you might hear on a police car or fire tender, followed by the town clock sounding a quarter past noon.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex exchanges a look with the others. He suspects they may want to go up to the lake and see if anything from the house remained.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your help," says William. "I think that's all we need for now."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

"I'm not particularly familiar with the area; about how long would a drive to the lake take us?" Lawrence asks, concerned with the waning amount of time until they would have to return to the film set; with any luck, he wouldn't have to do any acting just yet.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Around twenty minutes in the car, I would think,” replied the Librarian. ”Not many go up there, to be honest. Just a few kids in the summer, swimming. We lose one every three or four years, sadly. There’s warning signs up there but you know kids. Always think nothing bad will happen to them.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"They drown?" Alex asks with alarm. Of course, he's beginning to suspect a more nefarious fate is befalling them.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

She nodded. It’s quite common, sadly. But yes, you lose one and everyone says we must do something about it, but then time passes and people forget again. It’s probably been a couple of years since we lost a young lad called Nigel up there.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"A tragedy to the community I am sure. Did Nigel's family remain in the area or did they move away after the loss? ?" Alex asks delicately. These deaths may very well be random, but they could also be part of Brophy's machinations. It might be worth it to speak with them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did they find his remains?" asks William.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The librarian shook her head sadly. ”No, they never did. Some people say that the lake has no bottom, but that’s just local nonsense. As for his parents, the stress of it all caused them to divorce and they both moved away soon after. Nice couple, but they couldn’t get over not finding his body and being able to give him a proper funeral.”
Bullfrog
Adept
Adept

Post by Bullfrog »

"Must be one hell of a tragedy to outlive your own son. I couldn't ever imagine it." Lawrence mournfully states, shaking his head. "Why do you suppose it happens there so often? I imagine that 'bottomless' myth was probably created as a way to explain drownings in the past, but this is the modern day, so there must be some scientific reason behind it."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I’m not sure it happens more than anywhere else,” she shrugged. ”The local kids like going up there because it’s a nice place for a dip on a warm day and it’s far enough away from town that parents aren’t likely to be watching over them. My husband and I are local to the town and we both went up there when we were younger.”

”As for it being bottomless, that’s just what everyone around here says about it. I shouldn’t imagine anyone actually knows. It’s not like Loch Ness where it’s been surveyed to death by Uncle Tom Cobley and all!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for all your help," says William, waiting to see if the others have anything further to ask before they go.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Thank you for your help," Alex says. "And if we do happen upon any of the Brophy's involved with nefarious activities, we'll be sure to bring them to justice for Aggie and all of the family's other victims."

He looks to see if the others have any further questions.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”