Page 7 of 12

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:26 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
55%
Rooter rolled 1d100:
65

"Yes, and the village children as well," Percy says.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:26 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam held out a hand in a ‘hushing’ motion to encourage silence amongst the mob, and redoubled his efforts to climb the hill, using his staff to propel him forward.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
The sounds are faint, but gradually they come to the ears of Alexander and Isolde, whose words have no sooner left her mouth when she hears the noise - a howling and shrieking, as if in gleeful anticipation, but from throats which don’t quite sound like those of people. It is shocking, and several of the men stop, their eyes wide with horror.

OOC:   Roll SAN! Failure costs 1 point.  



Several of the party come to a stop, looking shocked.

“Can ye hear that?” stammers one man. He crosses himself. They look visibly scared.

One of the gypsy men turns to Isolde, a deep frown on his face. He looks at her intently.

Spoiler:
Roll Luck.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
Image

"Aye, I heard it," says Alexander, viewing things more rationally. "I don't think it was pixies. Pixies don't howl like that, I imagine. Sounds more like a wolf, but not exactly. There haven't been any wolves in the wild here for a very long time, though. Still, we'd best hurry."

Spoiler:
Sanity roll (80% stat) for hearing the howling and shrieking:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
13

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:02 pm
by aine
Spoiler:
(50 50)
aine rolled 1d100:
24
aine rolled 1d100:
14

Isolde visibly pales and puts a hand to her mouth,
"Oh no!" She is obviously very frightened but gives Alexander an angry look,
"How can you be so...so foolish? Listen to your ears; those aren't wolves or bears- those are goblins! Are they cackling because they have the children? Or because we are walking straight into a trap!"

She catches the eye of the gypsy who is staring intently at her.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:03 pm
by HoneyDog
The man gives Isolde a strange look, but turns away.

Now the tor is more visible, a solitary dark crag that looms up from the snowy landscape. Unusually for the moor, there appears to be trees growing around the base and up one side of the tor.

Now the awful screaming sound is audible to the whole party, and more of the men stop and gasp in horror. Some seem to hesitate, unsure of whether to press on.

Spoiler:
Everyone, roll Listen again.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
Image

Alexander can't hear anything over the howling and shrieking.

Spoiler:
Listen roll (55% skill) near the tor:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
84

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:12 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam strained to make out anything in the shrieking noises.

Spoiler:
Philulhu rolled 1d100:
21

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
55%
Rooter rolled 1d100:
25

"What's that?" Percy says.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm
by aine
Isolde walks after the gypsy and puts a hand on his arm,
"Tell me, what is it? What do you know?"
Spoiler:
45
aine rolled 1d100:
16
Spoiler:
aine rolled 1d100:
29

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 am
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
Percy can now also hear something else – it sounded like a child, screaming in fear.


“Nothing” says the gypsy to Isolde. “I thought I heard you say something is all.”

He seems to be focused on the route ahead.

Spoiler:
Think about what has happened since your Luck roll succeeded.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Image

"We must keep moving, quickly!" urges Alexander.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:37 am
by Rooter
"I heard what sounded like a child screaming in fear," Percy says.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:22 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam pulled his revolver from his pocket and broke into a run, his breath steaming in the cold air.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:26 pm
by aine
"Wait- everyone-stop! I still think it's a trap: you must use caution!" Isolde cries. She turns to Fitzwilliam,

"Please Captain, you're a soldier, you must know what to do; surely it is better to creep up to the tor through those trees whilst some of the men cause a diversion? I really think that if you race up there you will surely be massacred by the goblins."

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 am
by HoneyDog
The gypsy and several other men turn on Isolde.

“You did say goblins!” exclaims the gypsy. “What are you talking about?”

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Image

"Goblins or no, we've got to save the children fast," says Alexander.

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:48 am
by HoneyDog
Several of the men have surrounded the companions.

"What are you talking about"? says one. "Do you know who's up there?"

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Image

"I've no idea myself," says Alexander. "Have you? If not, the only way we're going to find out is to go there and see."

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:21 am
by HoneyDog
"What's all this about goblins?" insists another.