[IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Rancho con Vistas al Lago - Highlands near Puno, Peru
7:10pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

It takes the approaching vehicle another five minutes to make its way along the rutted dirt road towards the ranch. Instead of driving up to the gate, the truck halts a little over two hundred yards back down the track.

The truck remains stationary with its headlights switched on. Activity can be heard from the truck, voices speaking in Spanish. It is difficult to see what's happening due to the glare of the headlights.

OOC:   For the checks below, those in the main house - and Atauchi on the roof of the small house need regular successes.
Those in the small house, and Marcus on the hill need HARD successes.  


Spoiler:
You can see five people get out of the truck, the glare is too much to make out details.
Spoiler:
You're sure that last person to get out is Augustus Larkin.
Spoiler:
The man doing most of the speaking is Luis de Mendoza. Without speaking Spanish, you catch him say the names Eliza and Hughes (Jackson's pseudonym from Lima).

If your Spanish is at least 50%:
Spoiler:
De Mendoza says: <<Kill the bitch Eliza, kill her baby and Hughes too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the Father of Maggots.>>
If your Spanish is less than 50%, and you pass a Spanish Roll:
Spoiler:
De Mendoza says something about killing Eliza and Hughes, the women living and something about the Father of Maggots.

If your rolled a HARD success for Spanish, then read the spoiler above for a better translation.
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby jp1885 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100 and got a total of 34:
34
Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100 and got a total of 97:
97

Cynthia nudges John as she sees the truck approaching the ranch. She squints, but can make nothing out through the glare of the headlights. Neither can she make out what's being said in the vehicle.
"What d'you think's going on John?"
User avatar
jp1885
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Silver Priest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 1d100 and got a total of 73:
73


Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 1d100 and got a total of 92:
92
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Zero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Atauchi observed the truck from his vantage upon the roof through his binoculars. His bow rested at the tracker's side, gripped in his left hand. His fingers tightened slightly when he spotted Larkin disembark the vehicle. The Quechua man quietly chewed on a coca leaf while he waited for the trap to be sprung.

Spoiler:
Zero rolled 1d100 and got a total of 7:
7

Spoiler:
Zero rolled 1d100 and got a total of 97:
97

OOC:   Atauchi is fine with letting Huisy use the spare rifle. Another shooter is more beneficial to the group than a minuscule increased chance at success.  

OOC:   No luck on the Listen roll (like everyone else!) but with the binoculars and his extreme success Spot Hidden, Atauchi should be able to read their facial expressions and be able to determine if they remain unaware of the ambush. Gonna roll a Psychology just in case. ;)  

Spoiler:
Zero rolled 1d100 and got a total of 93:
93
User avatar
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:31 am
Location: New York, USA

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Anatomist » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Dr.Sánchez cant quite see nor hear anything from his position at the south window

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100 and got a total of 68:
68

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100 and got a total of 52:
52
~Bony End of Story~
User avatar
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: Lillesand-Norway/Santiago-Chile

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 am

Image

Amy can hear every word, she just can't understand most of them. "There are five of them," she whispers to the others. "I recognize de Mendoza's voice. He mentioned Eliza, and you, Jackson, or at least your psuedonym." She tries to parrot the words she heard in the hopes that someone who knows Spanish can translate.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) in the main house:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100 and got a total of 41:
41

Listen roll (45% skill) in the main house:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100 and got a total of 5:
5

Language (Spanish) roll (2% skill) in the main house:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100 and got a total of 75:
75

I'm hoping that with an extreme success on Listen, I can repeat the words exactly even if I don't understand what they mean.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am

Rancho con Vistas al Lago - Highlands near Puno, Peru
7:10pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Thanks to the binoculars and his keen eyesight Atauchi notices something weird.

Spoiler:
Larkin's whole demeanour is different than when Atauchi saw him in the Bar Cordano in Lima. He stands straight and proud, almost imperious - showing no sign of his physical weakness from the previous meeting. Most noticeably, even from this distance, thanks to Atauchi's binoculars he can see that Larkin's eyes are inhuman - they are completely black!
OOC:   Make a SAN check, lose 1d2 sanity if you fail.
Binoculars - for longer range sanity loss! ;)  


OOC:   That sounds fair enough Mr. Handy, although as this is Amy doing her best to parrot a language that she cannot speak, I cannot allow the automatic success for 50%+ skill.

@Anatomist, Nemesio can make a Spanish roll to see how well if he understand what Amy is trying to say.
If you roll less than an extreme success then I'll also roll for Jackson Elias and Husiy, to see if they do better.  

Spoiler:
De Mendoza says something about killing Eliza and Hughes, the women living and something about the Father of Maggots.
(Hughes was Jackson Elias' pseudonym in Lima).

If your rolled a HARD success for Spanish, then read the spoiler below for a better translation
Spoiler:
De Mendoza says: <<Kill bitch Eliza kill baby and Hughes kill men who fight spare rest convert men women live Father of Maggots free.>>
If your rolled an EXTREME success for Spanish, then read the spoiler below for an improved grammer translation.
Spoiler:
De Mendoza says: <<Kill the bitch Eliza, kill her baby and Hughes too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the Father of Maggots.>>
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby kabukiman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 am

Anderson: 65%

kabukiman rolled 1d100 and got a total of 55:
55


Spanish: 1%

kabukiman rolled 1d100 and got a total of 41:
41
User avatar
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 5708
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Porto/Portugal

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Anatomist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 am

Raiko wrote:
OOC:   That sounds fair enough Mr. Handy, although as this is Amy doing her best to parrot a language that she cannot speak, I cannot allow the automatic success for 50%+ skill.

@Anatomist, Nemesio can make a Spanish roll to see how well if he understand what Amy is trying to say.
If you roll less than an extreme success then I'll also roll for Jackson Elias and Husiy, to see if they do better.  


Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100 and got a total of 43:
43
~Bony End of Story~
User avatar
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: Lillesand-Norway/Santiago-Chile

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Spoiler:
Hard Listen (10%):
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 99:
99

Hard Spot Hidden (12%):
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 31:
31
Spoiler:
Listen:
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 2:
2

Spot Hidden:
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 3:
3

Spanish:
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 23:
23
Spoiler:
Listen:
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 53:
53

Spot Hidden:
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 86:
86

Spanish:
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 34:
34
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 am

The Small House
7:10pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

"I can't hear anything except my heart pounding," says John.


The Main House
7:10pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

"Damn!"

Jackson stares out of the window, "Larkin and de Mendoza are here, with three others. I think they know we're ready for them, but they must think Eliza is here."

He translates de Mendoza's words for the others, "Kill the bitch Eliza, kill her baby and Hughes too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the Father of Maggots."


On the Track.
7:11pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

One of the men who climbed out of the truck begins to slowly walk towards the farm, backlit by the truck's headlights.

Inside the main house, Jackson Elias says, "That's Larkin, there."

Spoiler:
The other four bad guys are spreading out to either side of the pool of light from the truck – two to either side. Heading towards the farm, but not directly.


OOC:   Those who failed to Spot Hidden before, may roll again now if they wish, to read the spoiler tag above. This is a pushed roll though – failure will mean the truck headlights have dazzled you enough to spoil your night vision. You can see the guy walking in front of the headlights regardless (Larkin).
It's just a regular roll for everyone now.  


The Small House
7:11pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

John whispers, "There's someone walking this way now!"

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden (25%):
Raiko rolled 1d100 and got a total of 99:
99

Oops! A fumble...


"The lights are hurting my eyes!"
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:25 am

Image

Amy looks terrified. She's at least relieved that they don't intend to turn her into one of them, but she dreads what else they might do to her. "They're spreading out," she hisses, "two to each side. They're coming this way, but not directly. I think we'd better start fighting as soon as they're close enough to have a decent chance of hitting. We don't want to let them get close."

Spoiler:
How close are they right now? Are they within range for a rifle or a shotgun without penalty? Are they close enough for throwing firebombs?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 am

OOC:   They're currently about 200 yards away.
It'll take Larkin a couple of minutes to walk along the track.  
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby jp1885 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:08 am

Image

Cynthia curses under her breath as John shields his eyes from the glare.
"Step back from the window and let your eyes readjust John."
She squints thought the window, not wanting to damage her own eyesight by staring at the headlights too much.
"No use us both being blinded. Get some fire bombs ready while I try to get my aim straight."
Keeping behind a curtain as much as she can, she waits for the approaching figure to come into range.
Spoiler:
I think I've got this right - I can see someone, but can't make out any details. Could I make a psychology (75%) check to read the body language? If so...
jp1885 rolled 1d100 and got a total of 2:
2
User avatar
jp1885
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:38 pm

In the Small House
7:11pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Cynthia hasn't ever met Augustus Larkin before, and so she doesn't recognise the man walking along the track towards the house, but it is obvious to her that he is walking fearlessly and calmly towards the ranch. Not at all like a man who knows that he's walking into an ambush.

On the roof.
7:11pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

It is obvious to Atauchi that Larkin and the kharisiri are aware of the ambush. While Larkin walks boldly along the track, his companions are attempting to approach from the flanks. Atauchi saw de Mendoza through his binoculars giving orders before they moved, he couldn't hear what was said, but they looked ready for a fight.

OOC:   I think you must have missed the post above Zero, because you haven't made the roll I needed for Atauchi.  
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Rancho con Vistas al Lago - Highlands near Puno, Peru
7:12pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Another minute passes, Augustus Larkin is now half way along the track to the ranch gate, about 100 yards away from the main house, and can be recognised by anyone who has met him before. However, the way he is walking is not at all like the unhealthy Larkin from the Bar Cordano in Lima. This Larkin holds himself imperiously as he walks purposefully towards the gate.

Spoiler:
The four kharisiri are now closer than Larkin, moving quickly through the shadows, using what cover is available, they are about 50 yards away and trying to get around the sides of the ranch.


OOC:   Those who haven't passed a Spot Hidden earlier may now make a HARD spot hidden to read the spoiler above. This is no longer a pushed roll, as subjects are further from the truck  
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby jp1885 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100 and got a total of 1:
1
:shock:

Shielding her eyes from the glare of the headlights, Cynthia gasps.
"They're trying to get around the buildings, except one guy, who's walking towards us like he's taking a Sunday stroll."
She turns to John.
"Quit blinking and get ready will ya? Watch the back!"
She pulls a firebomb to within easy reach and readies her pistol for when they come into range.
User avatar
jp1885
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Herefordshire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Anatomist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100 and got a total of 98:
98



Dr. Sánchez don't see a thing
~Bony End of Story~
User avatar
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: Lillesand-Norway/Santiago-Chile

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Raiko » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 pm

OOC:   Sánchez can see Larkin, and knows that it's Larkin, because he's heard everything Jackson and Amy said.  
User avatar
Raiko
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 pm

Image

Amy takes aim at a pair of the approaching kharisiri with her shotgun, ready to fire once things start, though she doesn't want to fire until the others are ready.

Spoiler:
At this range, can I fire without a penalty die? Presumably I get the bonus die for being at longer range with a shotgun. Is the damage at this range 1D6, and can a shotgun blast spread and hit multiple bunched targets like in 6th edition?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

PreviousNext

Return to Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Raiko and 1 guest