Page 11 of 13

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 pm
by HoneyDog
The investigators grab Baumgartner and manhandle him through the passage and out of the awful maintenance room, back into the tunnel. His senses seemed dulled and he is apathetic and doesn’t resist, although they can feel him shaking with fear. He is weak and smells terribly.

As the companions decide what to do next, they are confronted with a sight so hideous it stops them in their tracks. Coming toward them across the railway sleepers is a horrific creature, about three feet long, and blue-black in colour. It seems to have insect-like plating at irregular intervals over its body. Slime leaks between these plates, and numbers of whip-like tendrils of sickly pale yellow extend outwards to distances of almost eight feet. No eyes are visible, but it can obviously sense our heroes as it moves remorselessly towards them, its tendrils lashing.

Baumgartner screams in horror, his eyes rolling back in his head. The creature draws closer…

Spoiler:
Roll SAN at the sight of this unspeakably vile monstrosity. If you pass, you still lose SAN. Henry and Alice, roll 1d2. Norman and Isadora lose 1. If you fail, roll 1d6+1!

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry SAN 65
innsmouth rolled 1d100:
58


Spoiler:
SAN loss
innsmouth rolled 1d2:
1

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
SAN 64

evil_scientist rolled 1d100:
45

Current SAN 63

Isadora screams - then freezes - then screams again. She witnessed the monstrosity before in a vision, but in real life, it's even worse... but perhaps the preliminary vivid nightmare prepared her mind to cope.

As soon as she regains control over herself, she unwraps the alien weaponry, and aims it at the creature... And hopes to get the operation right.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Image

Alice screams in abject terror, taking her shotgun and pointing it at the abomination, hoping it will actually be hurt by the blast.

Spoiler:
Sanity roll (current level 64) for seeing the creature:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
68

Sanity loss for seeing the creature:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d6+1 and got a total of 3:
2

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 am
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
Alice didn't mention taking her shotgun into the tunnel... is she carrying that plus the skull-on-a-pole? ;)

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Spoiler:
We went back to the car to get our stuff before entering the tunnel, and I wouldn't have gone into the tunnel without it considering the possible danger. That was the whole point of bringing it. I'd forgotten I was carrying the skull-on-a-pole. I have to hold a flashlight too, and while I could carry the shotgun slung on my back or over my shoulder or something, I wouldn't be able to fire it without using both hands. I could hand off my flashlight and the pole to someone else to free up my hands. If nobody is willing to take them, then I could brandish the skull on the pole to see if it wards off the creature.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:20 am
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
Okay. What kind of shotgun is it - pump-action or double-barreled? As per your last post, you would have had to drop the skull-on-a-pole and your flashlight to bring the shotgun up though.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy
Spoiler:
It would probably be double-barreled. I don't think I actually specified.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am
by Tabs
Roll SAN at the sight of this unspeakably vile monstrosity
Tabs rolled 1d100:
91
Tabs rolled 1d6+1 and got a total of 3:
2


Owens readied his shovel. "We're all going to die!" he thought, quaking, but said: "Those without a weapon shine your torches and light up the beast."

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Seeing that she is struggling Henry takes the flashlight from Alice

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Suddenly one of the creatures tendrils lashes out, close enough so that the heroes can see the nasty barb at the tip. It narrowly avoids Baumgartner, who wails again.

Spoiler:
Tendril Attack 50: 1d100 64

Now you can act. Isadora is first, then Alice, but this turn Alice will need to free her hands, unsling the shotgun and cock it, so she misses out. Henry is holding Albert and a flashlight, so Norman is free to use the shovel to attack with if he wishes.

Isadora’s alien mist weapon does 1d10 points of damage. She has 35% skill (25% base skill but she has had a little practice). The mist moves more slowly than a bullet, and luckily the creature seems quite slow-moving.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Mist Weapon Attack 35%

evil_scientist rolled 1d100:
4


Mist Weapon Damage
evil_scientist rolled 1d10:
9


Spoiler:
Yes!!


Isadora utters a short prayer (invoking all and any benevolent entities that might be present in this forsaken tunnel) and activates the weapon...

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:49 pm
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
As the creature is slow and due to the lingering mist, roll once more for damage.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 pm
by evil_scientist
Extra damage
evil_scientist rolled 1d10:
7

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
The creature stops and shudders, its tendrils quivering. But suddenly again, tendrils shoot out, two this time, aimed at Isadora and Henry.

Spoiler:


The tendril whips past Isadora's face, but luckily she is unharmed.

Henry, however, is not so lucky...

Spoiler:


The tendril rips through Henry's jacket, and tears a piece of flesh from his arm. The pain is excruciating. The companions watch in horror as a gaping maw opens on the creature's back, and the tendril disappears inside. It has eaten a piece of Henry!

Spoiler:
Tendril damage: 1d2 1. Henry suffers 1 point of damage.


Spoiler:
You are free to attack again - Isadora, then Alice, and Norman if he really wants!

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Clutching his wounded arm Henry attempts to stagger out of range of further attacks.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
Do you still have hold of Albert?

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm
by innsmouth
OOC:   If possible Henry will drag Albert with him but I guess it depends on his level of discomfort ...  

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
I'll assume you both get out of harm's way for the time being then...

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Mist Weapon 35%

evil_scientist rolled 1d100:
85


Isadora tries to hit the foul creature again, but misses...