Dragan's house

[They] "transport beaver hides, the pelts of the black fox and swords from the farthest reaches of the Saqaliba to the Sea of Rum [i.e., the Black Sea]. The ruler of Rum [i.e., the Byzantine Empire] takes a tithe of them. If they wish, they go to the Tnys river [i.e., "Tanais", the Greek name of the Don River], Yitil [i.e., Itil, the ancient name of the Volga], or Tin [variously identified as Don or Seversky Donets], the River of the Saqaliba. They travel to Khamlij, the city of the Khazars whose ruler takes a tithe of them. Then they betake themselves to the Sea of Jurjan [Caspian Sea] and they alight on whichever of its shores they wish. ... Sometimes, they carry their goods from Jurjan by camel to Baghdad. Saqlab slaves translate for them. They claim that they are Christians and pay the jizya."

885-886, Ibn Khordadbeh writing about the Rus merchants who brought goods from Northern Europe and Northwestern Russia to Baghdad

Moderator: ghill

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Image

Aethelwulf shrugs again. "I don't think we can find out anything else here," he says.

Spoiler:
I'm sorry, I was away in London and hadn't had as much time as I'd thought I would.

Insight roll (30% skill) about the priest:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
40
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 31802
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dragan's house

Postby ghill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 am

You return to the inn where Burgholf awaits with a message from Olaf the Golden, he has sent word attesting to your trustworthiness to the lord, but he is not stopping or coming to the village, the river loops around and if you head roughly due East when your business is finished you will come to a series of rapids where he will have to arrange portage, you can catch him up there.
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 am

Image

"Thank you," says Aethelwulf. "Once we show this to the lord, perhaps he will allow us to leave and catch up to Olaf."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 31802
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Cotton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 am

Image

Valbrand agrees, "We should see the lord as soon as possible. The sooner we get back to the ship the better."

Spoiler:
My apologies as well, there were some changeups at my work and my schedule has been kinda hectic.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Dragan's house

Postby ghill » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 am

Burgholf promises to send a message to the keep and arrange a meeting.

It is well after dark when there is a disturbance in the Inn. The beautiful Brun wakes you saying Ulfric (the head guard) has asked that you meet him outside the gates.

Brun adds I hear that something has happened to Dragan!
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Starspawn338 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:01 am

Image
Garpur quickly rises at the commotion. "Dagan? There has been a change?" He hesitates to say what he suspects... that Dagan has died.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
User avatar
Starspawn338
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Frostbite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:54 am

Image

Aethelwulf quickly straps on his armor and gathers his things, having a feeling that there may be trouble.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 31802
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dragan's house

Postby ghill » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:15 am

"No" says Brun to your dissapearing backs "I think he has run off"

By the gate, you find a blearily-eyed Ulfric and the gate guard trying to calm down a number of farmers led by a man you recognise as Dragan's father. You are just in time to hear the end of his conversation. "...then I woke up and he was not in the house, the doorway was open and my wife's best butchering knife was gone there is no sign of him around the house, you must call out the guard and search for him before the forest takes him."

Seeing you Ulfric smiles somewhat and turns back to Dragan I cannot turn out the guard for you but I will aid you and I am sure these three men will help in exchange for a good word to the Lord
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Image

"I will help," says Aethelwulf, stepping forward.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 31802
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Starspawn338 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:02 am

Image
Garpur leans on his short spear. "I also will go look for the boy. Can one of the guardsman spare me a shield?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
User avatar
Starspawn338
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Frostbite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Cotton » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:10 am

Image

Valbrand nods, "I'll help too."
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Dragan's house

Postby ghill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 am

Ulfric looks somewhat surprised at Garpur's request for a shield. "The boy is lost or has wandered off in a fever we are not facing a Warband unless you know something I don't?"

OOC:   If Gapur wants a shield then Ulfric hands him one leant against the wall by the gate for the gate guard.  


Ulfric splits those gathered into small groups, sending some men home to get their dogs ( a breed of mastiff) and then sends them off into the night each with a specific area or landmark to search near. He also sends a man to get Father Gregor this man also heads off into the dark rather than into the town. He sends the three of you back to start searching out from Dragan's home.
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:33 am

Image

"Let us see if we can pick up his trail," says Aethelwulf, looking around for any signs of tracks.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) outside Dragan's home:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
57
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 31802
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Starspawn338 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:46 am

Image
Garpur shakes his head but takes the shield. "I don't know that there's any danger outside but it's dark and there have been raiders and other things happening. It's better to be safe."

He makes a semi circle around Dragan's home looking for signs of passage.
Spoiler:
Track 50
Starspawn338 rolled 1d100:
91
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
User avatar
Starspawn338
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Frostbite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Cotton » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 am

Image
Valbrand also looks for signs of tracks or more drag marks, but doesn't find anything.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden: 55%
Cotton rolled 1d100:
82
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Dragan's house

Postby ghill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:36 am

In the dark you don't find any evidence of tracks however just as you are about to give up you here they baying of hounds as though they have picked up a scent.
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:09 am

Image

Aethelwulf grunts and begins to head towards the noise of the dogs.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 31802
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Cotton » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:05 am

Image

Valbrand moves to follow Aethelwulf. As he's leaving he asks Ulfric, "Do you have hunting hounds searching for the boy?"
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Dragan's house

Postby Starspawn338 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:08 pm

Image
Garpur follows the others in the direction of the hounds, keeping a wary eye out for any danger.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
User avatar
Starspawn338
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Frostbite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Dragan's house

Postby ghill » Fri May 04, 2018 12:29 pm

You travel some distance Ulfric seems to get more and more concerned as you approach your destination guided by the baying of the hounds.

"It plays out like some Saga I think the hounds may be in the old burial place where they buried there dead before we made them good Christians"

As he says this the baying of the hounds turns to a yelp of pain and then silence and Ulfric picks up speed running. towards what looks like a small wooded rise you can see a number of figures standing nervously at a gateway (simply two large upright stones on the pathway) and a couple of people bending over someone who looks as though they are having a fit
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Mare Balticum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron