915 AD - The Voyage Starts

[They] "transport beaver hides, the pelts of the black fox and swords from the farthest reaches of the Saqaliba to the Sea of Rum [i.e., the Black Sea]. The ruler of Rum [i.e., the Byzantine Empire] takes a tithe of them. If they wish, they go to the Tnys river [i.e., "Tanais", the Greek name of the Don River], Yitil [i.e., Itil, the ancient name of the Volga], or Tin [variously identified as Don or Seversky Donets], the River of the Saqaliba. They travel to Khamlij, the city of the Khazars whose ruler takes a tithe of them. Then they betake themselves to the Sea of Jurjan [Caspian Sea] and they alight on whichever of its shores they wish. ... Sometimes, they carry their goods from Jurjan by camel to Baghdad. Saqlab slaves translate for them. They claim that they are Christians and pay the jizya."

885-886, Ibn Khordadbeh writing about the Rus merchants who brought goods from Northern Europe and Northwestern Russia to Baghdad

Moderator: ghill

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby HelplessBystander » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Spoiler:
HelplessBystander rolled 1d100:
100

REMAINING SAN: 71%


Gandalf screamed, he had never seen such a terrible sight before him than this. As a merchant who grew up in a sheltered household, he had never really even been much actively involved in bloodshed. After suddenly being confronted with a visceral sight as this...he exhaled the contents of his stomach, perhaps adding to the putrid stench of the surroundings. It took him more than a few moments to calm down. "Gods above. What is...this?"

He sweeps his hand over the sight before him, weakly gesturing at it.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Spoiler:
100 is a Fumble so Gandalf takes the full SAN loss of D3+1 so 4pts of sanity loss.
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby HelplessBystander » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:49 pm

OOC:   And 75-4=71, correct? So I don't think I made a mistake calculating the san loss.  
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Cotton » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 am

Image
Valbrand goes pale, he stares wide-eyed at the scene of horror and his gorge rises. He does not provide any answer to Gandalf, and it is unclear if he even heard the man.

Spoiler:
San: 40%
Cotton rolled 1d100:
56

Cotton rolled 1d3:
2
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:39 pm

HelplessBystander wrote:
OOC:   And 75-4=71, correct? So I don't think I made a mistake calculating the san loss.  


OOC:   Nope, it is fine I was simply pointing out as a fumble you didn't need to roll it you just take max.  
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 pm

OOC:   Anyone looking around the camp area can give me a Track roll. or if they don't have track a Spot Hidden  
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Cotton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 am

Image
Valbrand is too busy gawping at the carnage to notice anything else.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden: 55%
Cotton rolled 1d100:
83
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Starspawn338 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:39 am

Image
Spoiler:
Track 50
Starspawn338 rolled 1d100:
34

Garpur looks at the others and realizes that he isn't the only one to be taken aback by this horrific scene. Steadying himself, he moves into the camp to try to see if he can make sense of what happened here.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
User avatar
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Frostbite Falls, Minnesota

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:47 am

Image

Aethelwulf is too busy trying not to throw up to notice anything else.

Spoiler:
Sanity roll (current level 50) for seeing the bodies:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
96

Sanity loss for seeing the bodies:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d3+1 and got a total of 2:
1

Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) in the ruined village:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
55
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37054
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:23 am

A thorough search of the area reveals tracks of a man moving South West (back along the trail you've just walked along) but also the track of a much heavier human coming towards the camp from the East.

There is lots of disturbance around the centre of the camp which might be animals of some kind but its unclear

There are mule tracks which head NE (in the direction you have been travelling) these mules would have carried the trapper's tools and traps and more importantly the furs. It looks like this was also the general direction the men came from.
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Starspawn338 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Image
Garpur spends several minutes moving around the camp and examining the ground before he announces his findings to the others.

"It looks like a large person came into the camp from that way," he points to the east. And one man's tracks head back the way we came which were probably the villager's tracks. He gestures up the path they had been following, "It looks like the trapper's mules were taken that way. There's signs of a struggle in the camp but I cannot tell who or what did this." He shudders again as he looks at the headless bodies.

Spoiler:
Are the heads anywhere we can see?
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
User avatar
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Frostbite Falls, Minnesota

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 pm

OOC:   There is no sign of the heads.  
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:58 am

Image

"Shall we follow the mules?" asks Aethelwulf.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37054
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Starspawn338 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Image
"I guess." Garpur says hesitantly. I really don't want to get involved in this but then again we do need to find out if one of these men is Guyer."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
User avatar
Starspawn338
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Frostbite Falls, Minnesota

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Cotton » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:38 am

Image
Valbrand snaps out of his trance. He says, "I... Yes, I think we should follow after the mule as well. The quicker the better."
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby HelplessBystander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Gandalf agrees.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Leaving the ruined village behind you continue to follow the trail after an hour you come across one of the mules standing off by the side of the trail, at some point, it has slipped its harness and whatever it was carrying has been scattered through the forest. There is no sign of the other (2?) mules. However, there are clear signs of passage further along the trail.

It is nearing twilight when you become aware you are nearing a settlement of some kind there is the smell of woodsmoke and the distant barking of dogs. Leaving the shadows of the forest you enter a rather extraordinary ring of totem poles (the local's equivalent to a large cross to ward off evil spirits ) and a singular cross (which you know to be the sign of the white god) before crossing a wide clearing of pastures and fields. To left and right you can see small homesteads while to your front is a small village, surrounded by a sturdy timber stockade. A sizeable tower dominates the landscape.

A crowd has gathered outside the gate and two spear armed guards can be seen pulling a body from the ditch which surrounds the village. As you get closer you realise the corpse matches the description you've been given of Guyer

A scarred looking warrior approaches from the shadows by the gate, he asks you a question first in the local tongue and then in halting Norse "Who are you and why do you come here"
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:26 am

Image

"We are Olaf the Golden's men," says Aethelwulf. "We come seeking him." He points to the body of Guyer.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37054
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 am

"I have heard of Olaf the Golden, but I do not know him and I do not know who you are either. if you know this man you should come and talk to my lord, he will have questions." He turns to go clearly expecting you to follow him the two other guards look at you expectantly clearly expecting the same.

OOC:   You are free to make your own decisions about following the man, but the guards are geared for war (as you'd expect), armoured with spears and a shield  
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Postby ghill » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 am

You are led (escorted) to a large tower/house at the centre of the village. Inside it is warm but dark lit only by a central firepit The local lord sits on an ornately carved chair covered in large grey wolf skins, two massive dogs lie sleeping on either side of him. What comes as the biggest surprise is there is a Priest of the White God standing behind him. Also present in the room are an old (noble) woman.

Welcome to Mikulcice, although I wish it was under better circumstances we found a body here, a traveller, a sign perhaps, can you tell me what it means?
User avatar
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Mare Balticum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest