IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

"Could it be quicksand?" wonders Maria. "Maybe we should find something heavy to test it."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by CrackheadC. »

Dr. Porter takes a chunk of bread from Tobias when offered and blissfully stumps through the swamp after the group, paying more attention to his food than where they are going.

He stops as everyone else does and takes a long hard look at the ground, "The lady could be right, quicksand is a potential threat, or perhaps a deep bog." Brushing the last of the crumbs off his hands Dr. Porter grabs the nearest branch and gingerly pushes down on the ground where Eddie was to step.
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Thanks," says Eddie, gulping and backing away from the odd ground. "We may need to backtrack and go north at the trail."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

The branch sinks down into the marsh and goes well past where Eddie would have stepped. As you go to pull it out, you feel the branch tug downward in your hand.
Spoiler:
make a Dex check for me.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias stopped downwards to check the properties of the swampy marsh In front of him. "The thing is, since we are in front of a quicksand-like bog. Perhaps I should ask, how did the Hound get through this area? There's obviously a safe and easy method to go through this area that we haven't found yet. Since all accounts of the Hound described it as larger than an adult male, I think it would be safe to assume that, if such a path exists, it should be wide enough for us to go through." As he said that, he scanned his surrounding and check for any alternative pathways for them to take that are both reliably safe and reasonably efficient.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

As Dr. Porter is checking the depth of the swamp pit, Tobias looks around for a clear path forward.

The trees and high grass make it difficult. You spot another of the "swamp pits" and you could pass between the two pits. Of course you don't know how many more are up ahead.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

"I guess we should decide. Shall we press on, or go the other way?"
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Please don't make any further actions until Dr Porter (crackheadc) responds.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by CrackheadC. »

The branch sinks in deep and seems to tug a little. "I think it might be stuck on something." Dr. Porter says with surprise.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

The branch pulls down fast and pulls the doctor down to the ground, his hand plunged into the swamp before he is able to let go of the branch that disappeared.
Spoiler:
It was like you couldn't let go of the branch until you were flat on your chest with your arm up to your shoulder in the swamp water. As you let go of the branch finally, you feel something grab your arm. Make a strength check.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Hey doc, need a little help?" Tobias chimed in helpfully behind Doctor Porter, offering some help as he seemed to be halfway stuck in the bog. Tobias instinctively felt that the good doctor might need some assistance escaping the treacherous quagmire.

OOC:   Can I help Porter to get out? Do I deep to make a strength check as well?  
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Right now only the Doctor. And FYI, if someones name is on a spoiler button, you aren't supposed to read them.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

OOC:   Okay, cool. What do you want me to do? Retcon the post or give an in-game for why I can't help? :)  
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Eddie reaches out to grab hold of Dr. Porter and pull him back.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Something has got my arm!" Dr. Porter shouts, panicked.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I assume this is happening within an instant or two of Porter testing the ground, thus why you might not be able to help immediately.  
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria, eyes wide, also rushes over to help the Doctor.
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias wasn't able to react immediately, but he came to Dr. Porter's aid as soon as logically possible. "Mr. Porter, are you okay?"
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   It is as CrackHead described. He poked the stick in and got pulled down. It takes everyone a second to realize something is wrong and react. But the doctor needs to react first, before the rest of you. I know its tough in a PBF game as different people post at different times and some are more active than others.

Now if you had previously posted I'm right behind the doctor in case something happens, then yes, I'd let you react right away, even before the doctor. But everyone else was talking about finding new trails or going back, no one was really paying attention to the doctor. In fact you were looking for another trail. I hope that makes sense.  
It looks like the doctor slips and falls, arm deep into the swamp. Then a look of concern comes over his face as he calls out for help, he grasps for a branch as he is obviously stuggling and appears to being pulled into the swamp by his arm.

Eddie, Maria and Tobias race to his aid.
Spoiler:
make strength checks for me.
Spoiler:
make a sanity 0/1d3 check for me
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria reaches out for the Doctor and grabs his jacket, but whatever has him is too much for her.
Spoiler:
Strength 40: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/552059]Strength[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]50[/b]
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by CrackheadC. »

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]
Post Reply

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests