IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Rooter »

Image

Bret points out a break in the tall grass up ahead which could be a trail.
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria wipes sweat from her forehead with a small towel.

"Yes!" she says. "You could be right. Let's head over there."
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

You tredge through the tall grass about 15 feet and sure enough a small trail leading off to the right or left. It appears to be a game trail of some sort. There are tracks on the trail, most look older, could be deer, racoon and a canine track, but they look too small for the creature you saw last night. They are deep in the dirt, so probably made the last time it rained, which has been a couple weeks. There are tracks going both directions and some just crossing the trail.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"I brought a flashlight too, as well as food and water," says Eddie. "I'm not sure which way we go from here, but I'm inclined to think we should start heading north, as we've been going west. If we're still facing west, that means we need to turn right. I don't see the creature's tracks here, though, so maybe it went straight ahead for some distance before turning."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias nodded absentmindedly, he honestly knew more about Latin past participles and conjugating French verbs than navigating his way around a swamp. He was honestly just basically following the group to wherever it takes him now. Even though he found a few track, but he hardly thinks is capable enough of navigating back out again without some help. He said to Eddie, "My good sir, you seemed to have a lot of good ideas. I guess we'll follow onward under this assumption, then. Anyone up for some bread and water?" He held up a packaged loaf of bread and a large container of water. He would've much preferred holding good beer and alcohol in his hands rather than the generic container of water, but hey, water's fine too.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   So what is the plan? Right now you are all standing on the small path discussing what to do.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

"Sure Eddie, that sounds like a good plan."
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"All right, let's keep going," says Eddie.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   so you are crossing the trail and continuing west? Just making sure I understood that right.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   No I believe we head north now.  
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Spoiler:
I thought we were going to continue west a little longer, seeing as there were no tracks that could have been the hound's on that narrow trail going north and south.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Spoiler:
I misunderstood. West it is then.
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Right. So we head west, and try and pick up the Hound's trails and then we stake out the place to observe and take some pictures beforehand heading back as soon as possible. Did I get that right? I'm assuming that's the plan." Tobias said, as he tried his best to identify the proper path down and contribute to the conversation.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

You cross the path and back into the woods, carving another arrow onto a tree. As you hike along a light rain begins to fall.
OOC:   Everyone make a track or spot hidden check.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6096
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria fastens her jacket against the rain. She searches for any signs of animal passage, but sees nothing. Hopefully she'll improve by the time this thing is over.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/551521]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]58[/b]
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias shuffled his jacket over his head in an attempt to shield himself from the rain. The rain might wash away the tracks, but he still searched vigilantly for signs.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40235
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Eddie can't see any indications of whether or not the hound went this way.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (61% skill): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Rooter »

Image
OOC:   Spot Hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]  
"Hey, how about this?"
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Hey Bret, what did you see? Lemme have a look." Tobias said, quickly walking to the front the group to have a look at what Bret has found. He gazed in the general direction that has captivated The Journalist's attention; hoping to find some important clue that he missed amidst the undergrowth. It certainly is...peculiar.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

As you were walking along the ground was getting more and more marshy. Everyone is glad for the high boots and those with waders are glad they took the time to get them. Everyone is continually looking for anything that would indicate the hound came this way, but you haven't seen a sign since the feather back at the farm.

The rain begins to fall harder. But instead of cooling things off, they just get muggy and hot. Sweat begins to roll down your face and back.

With a sudden lurch Brett grabs Eddie just as he was about to take a step. "hey, how about this, it doesn't look right."

Everyone gathers round and sure enough the ground doesn't look right. Something just seems off about it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Post Reply

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest