IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

The girl stood up, her demeanor completly changed, "okay, since Joe didn't get a chicken, one of the others had to. We can still catch them if we hurry. Do you have a car? My name's Lucy." She grabs her bag and heads back outside where all the men are waiting. "I can tell you what I know on the way."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias hurriedly walked back to the front door, and attempted to look like he was waiting there all along as Lucy and Maria walked out the door. He looked at the ladies with a triumphant smile, "Good evening, miss. I take it that you are more willing to cooperate with us now?"

He plans to talk to Bret in a few moments ans tell him about some of the...interesting aspects of the case. He knew that the case contained some supernatural elements when he saw the hound, but he had no idea that thins are so...complicated. The left coners of his mouth twitched almost imperceptibly.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40237
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"I have a car," says Eddie, "but we'll have to take the bus back the way we came to get to it."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

The bus came just a few minutes later. Lucy restates what she told Maria, then continued. "It all started with Professor Ingram. He found something. A pillar or something, its out in the swamp. When you rub blood on it... " She trails off looking for the right words. "Joe says its like he is wearing a costume, or armor, but you don't have full control but some. He said it's strange. The professor says he thinks its because the suits weren't designed for humans. I know it sounds crazy."

The bus pulls up and Lucy puts her head down and climbs onto the bus showing her pass.
Spoiler:
your watch says 9:35
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias furrowed his eyebrows as he processed the information given to him by Lucy. Before quickly getting back onto the bus and said, "Merci, mon Mademoiselle. There's been Hound sightings for about as long as a few hundred years. But all paranormal sightings started after the Indian wars within the swamp. Is there any correlation between these two events? Furthermore, I want to know, if this 'magical' pillar is capable of transforming humans into...other creatures, then what happen if non-human creatures gets their blood smudged onto the damned thing? What happens then? Who, or what, is this fantastical contraption designed for?"

"I have a great many question that I needed answered, do you mind providing me with a few of them?"
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

"I am not the one to ask," Lucy responds. "You'll need to talk to the professor."

She continues as the bus makes its loop. Your stop is only a couple minutes away.
"One of my friends started noticing the professor going out into the swamp almost daily, so we followed him one day. We thought we had lost him, when we spotted blood. He must have tripped or something, I don't know what. But we followed the trail and it led us to the pillar."

Her eyes turned darker recoiling from the memory, "he was tracing the runes on the stone, when a bit of his blood got on it. It glowed and that's when he realized he needed blood to activate it. He cut his hand open and ..." she paused for another regaining control. "It sounded like the stone was drinking it." She had a look of disgust on her face.

Lucy continued, "Then he turned, I don't remember really, it happened so fast, one minute it was just a man, and the next this huge beast. Everyone else was amazed, but I was frieghtened, I screamed. That's how he found us, it's all my fault."
Some of the bravado you witnessed earlier seems to be fading quickly.

And the bus pulls up to your stop.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6097
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

"Let's get the car and then you can continue with the story" she tells Lucy.
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

It doesn't take you long to get back to the Farmer's house. Eddie's car is still in the driveway.
OOC:   I'm going to assume everyone can fit in the car, for ease of play. Does anyone want to do anything at the farmhouse? Or say anything before we continue?  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6097
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Maria is fine to carry on, nothing to ask.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Ditto for Bret.  
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   I am going to go ahead and move forward, if someone wanted to do something at the farm, just speak up and I will add in the delayed time.  
You pile into the car and Lucy directs you to drive north towards West Bridgeport before continuing the story.

"We all turned to run, but it was incredible, the hound pounced on us in no time, pinning me to the ground. The red eyes were like lasers. Two of the guys grabbed branches but they just broke on its back. I was terrified, I thought it was going to kill me. Then it seemed to relax and backed up, getting off of me. The hound then slowly turned back into the professor." You can still see the terror on her face, just retelling the tale.

"Quick make a left here, into the swamp. After that, the rest of the group joined up with the professor, to help him with his experiments." Lucy stopped for a second. "Park we have to go on foot from here. That's about all I know, other than they've been coming out here every night, someone turns and they go grab a chicken. Joe says they go back to the college to talk about it afterwards."

She walks quickly along a path. It doesn't take long before she slows down. "It's just right through these trees," Lucy whispers.
OOC:   Everyone make a listen check  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

OOC:   Don't worry. I'm fine with going straight to the swamp as well.  
Tobias grabbed the chicken, and went along the windy, narrow path into the sheltered swamp. He attempted to listened attentively to his surroundings as he walked as he was nervous and felt unsafe. It occurred to him to make himself as small a target as possible and sneak behind everyone else, so that he wouldn't be the one to be attacked.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40237
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Eddie doesn't hear anything as he proceeds.
Spoiler:
Listen roll (55% skill) on the path: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6097
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria doesn't hear anything.
Spoiler:
Listen 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/560117]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]27[/b]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Rooter »

Image
Spoiler:
Listen 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Bret peers through the trees.
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

Spoiler:
you hear what sounds like chanting up ahead.
As Tobias stumbles around stepping on every dry branch within reach, he sounds like an elephant trumping through the woods. All his noise makes it impossible for anyone else to hear anything.

Lucy even turns to you, "Quiet you. They should be just up ahead."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias smiled sheepishly before stepping to the back of the group. At this point, it probably doesn't matter whether he is sneaking or not. The chanting sounds is giving him the nerves.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40237
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Eddie peers ahead, trying to see them.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

You start to move forward and as you get close to the clearing everyone can hear the chanting. It is difficult to understand what they are saying. You are about 150 yards from them. A large obsidian pillar that is crooked, is in the center of the group. The group are all wearing robes and in a circle.
OOC:   everyone make another listen check  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias strained his ears to hear what was being said.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Post Reply

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest