IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

"This must be the trail!" exclaims Maria. "Well spotted Doctor!"
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

"It might the trail, but we don't know from how long ago this was. Going down that path might not be the best course of action without a map and a good idea of how deep into the Swamp it'll take us." Tobias said, attempting to be the voice of reason.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

"Yes, well done," says Eddie. "There will be more feathers dropped along the way, no doubt. All we have to do is follow them."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria hopes to reassure Tobias.

"We have a compass, and if we mark out trail as we go, it should prevent us from getting lost. If the path becomes impassable, we can reconsider our options"
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias shrugged. "I'm afraid I must play the devil's advocate and voice doubt to your plans. How are we going to mark out our trails? Animals might destroy any attempt to do so if we tried using marking and signs that could be easily removed, right? Furthermore, I read somewhere that compasses won't work in certain situations and I think we need to check whether our compass are able to find true north and hydrate ourselves before we venture too far in." He said, pointing out a few details in the plan that didn't quite sit well with him to Maria before turning to face Eddie to shower him with skepticism as well. "Besides, are we going to find these trail of chicken feathers easily? Chicken feathers aren't known for easily recognisable nor would it be easy to distinguish them from all the other miscellaneous rocks and leaves littering the undergrowth, Mr. Donovan. To further elaborate my point, the chicken feathers took us nearly five or so attempts before finding this aged feather; are we going to repeat this process every five minutes or so whilst trekking? I sure hope not."

Tobias scowled at the morning sun, it was already making him slightly sweaty; he wasn't much of a morning person anyways. Entering the swamp will be slightly taxing for him and his paranoia is setting in slightly.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria rubs her temples, she thinks she’s getting a headache.

“Look” she says. “I’m going, and I’ll take my chances. As I said before, you don’t have to come. In fact you might feel more comfortable back at the library.”

She moves ahead, looking for more feathers.
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias stared at the woman with some annoyance beginning to show on his face. "Look here, lady. I had just bought a few hard-earned dollars' worth of hiking clothin' and I've got a paper to write about the happenin's inside the swamp. I'm just saying that Accidents happen in swamps, some good friends of mine once travelled into a swamp and got lost fer two days straight with no food or water. We need to be careful in that bloody swamp." He tried to control himself; he really did, but he still ended up having a little outburst. He took deep breath and counted to five before continuing, "Look, all I'm saying is that you've got to be mad as a Cut Snake to go into this swamp with no preparation or double-checkin' of any sort. We gotta do our part to check for flaws in our plan and hope that everything turn out all right, okay?" He said towards Maria in the calmest tone he could manage at that moment, making sure to not sound like an angry idiot.

He attempted an apologetic smile to try and make up for his outburst. He didn't mean to offend, but he's pretty damned sure he did. With that in mind, he quietly retreated to the back of the group without making eye contact with Maria. His carefully maintained air of professionalism and composure no longer there as his carefully hidden Australian accent played up again, he knew he sound like a country hick when his Australian accent shows its tail; that's why he generally try his best to not sound like a foreigner...unfortunately, he still did.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Rooter »

Image

"Looks like she already went, buddy." Bret says cheerfully, wondering why the farmer didn't answer his question about the Indians. "I don't think there's any chance of hiring a guide, do you? Besides, the big guy looks like he can handle anything," he adds, pointing to Eddie. "Plus, we have Dr. Porter on hand to take care of our mosquito bites for us. I'd say we're all set to go." Not wanting to miss anything, he tucks the chicken under his arm and hurries after Miss Adams, keeping an eye out for more feathers.
OOC:   Spot Hidden 50% for another feather[dice]0[/dice]  
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Great, looks like we are all set. Do you think we can convince the farmer to guide us? I mean, he is a resident of the area. He probably knows more about this place than we do." Tobias said with a weaker tone. Attempting to find True North on his compass and trying plot out a rough course based on the general directions they're heading in on a badly-drawn map.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria cuts a large 'X' on the trunk of an adjacent tree with her pocketknife.

"I'll do this as we walk" she says.
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias furrowed his eyebrows discreetly and said nothing in response. He quickly followed suit and continued into the Swamp with the group.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC: Bret, sorry, missed that question. he would have said that most of the indians had been moved to the reservation just to the north, but once and a while you see them poking around the swamp.

The five of you head out tredging into the swamp, some not so certain as to your course of action, others convinced this is the right call. An 'x' is carved onto a tree and off you go. There is no trail to follow per se, and you head in a general westerly direction. Tobias is having a hard time getting his compass to settle properly.

At the beginning you can still see some of the farms that tend to sprout up on the edge of the Hockomock, but within 15 minutes, even those had disappearred into the maze of trees you are going through. You are still pretty sure you could get back to the farm from where you are at. Still no trails, just tall grass. On occasion your foot would find a soggy spot and sink down, so you would bear a little to the left to avoid it. But now you fear you maynot be travelling west any longer.
OOC:   Everyone make either a track or spot hidden roll for me.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Is the Spot Hidden roll I just made okay?  
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   thats fine wruter  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias vigilantly peered into the undergrowth. He knew they were pretty damned close to being lost since they were all veering off-track from their intended direction, but he knew now may not be the time to discuss this as there's still a chance to get back on track to where they originally planned to go. Therefore, he was pretty damned sure that he's supposed to be looking for something. Thus, he continued to try and act helpful by trying to find any clues just to quickly get this over and done with.

"Aha!" He said triumphantly, as he discovered something hidden.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 40234
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image

Eddie can't see any feathers along the route.
Spoiler:
We should carve arrows on the trees rather than Xs, to also indicate direction. Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) in the swamp: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Smart thinking marking the way, did someone think to bring a flashlight in case it is dark before we get back?" Dr. Porter says as he keeps an eye open for more tracks.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Sorry for the late reply, I went into the city the other day to meet with some friends I hadn't seen in a while -
Tied one on and you know how it goes.  
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias shrugged. "Well, I probably should've; but I didn't. No flashlights. Sorry." He presented his bag that was noticeably absent of a lash light as proof. ""We do happen to have some food and temporary camping supplies like sleeping bags. We're good for a night. I guess."

OOC:   No worries. Happens to the best of us.  
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 6095
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Location: Yokohama
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

"I have one" says Maria absently, concentrating on locating landmarks.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/550884]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]97[/b]
User avatar
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

Spoiler:
You see a break in the tall grass up ahead, could be a trail.
The sun gets higher in the sky as you hear a clock tower in the distance chimes out 12 noon. The sun is blocked out by the clouds as the last chime is heard. The smell of rain is in the air as you carve an arrow into a nearby tree. The swamp takes on a whole different look as new shadows reach across the marshy land.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
****************
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
****************
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Post Reply

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest