IC

In the years after the oceans drank Atlantis, and long before the brothers Romulus and Remus founded their great city, there was the age of Hyboria. A time lost to history, a time of savage swords and strange sorcery...

Moderator: Cotton

Re: IC

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:57 am

Image

"We've come to an arrangement with the caretaker of this shrine," says Claudius, not mentioning the fact that said caretaker is a disembodied voice. "Some of the people of the sort we fought before are squatting in the great hall. If we capture one of them alive and bring him back bound, leave, and return the next day at this time, then the caretaker will get rid of the rest of them and allow us to keep the treasures that remain."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32443
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC

Postby Rooter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 am

"Who will accompany us to the Great Hall?" Fenn adds, looking over the various mercenaries. "I suggest Arethus and the other Nemedians remain here to guard our backs."
User avatar
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: IC

Postby Cotton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:53 am

There is some muttering among the group of sellswords. Finally Arethus holds up a hand to silence the men, and says, ”You spoke with this caretaker? The conversation was muted somewhat by the wall dividing the rooms but, by Mitra’s bones, we heard only the three of you speak aloud.”

The big, Aesir man squints at the trio, hand on the hilt of his blade. He spits the word ”devilry”, and if words were weapons this one would be sharpened to a razor’s edge.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: IC

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 am

Image

Claudius looks to Anakunaisi, who is far more knowledgeable in the ways of magic than he is. It comes as a surprise to him that their companions outside did not hear the voice.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32443
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC

Postby Rooter » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:35 am

Fenn, meanwhile, squares up to the Aesir with one hand on his own sword hilt. "Perhaps if you had the guts to face what lies in that tomb you would not be so quick to speak of devilry, Aesir."
User avatar
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: IC

Postby evil_scientist » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Anakunaisi is surprised, too, although such things as a voice only sounding in one's mind is not unheard of.

"The caretaker might as well be the devil's spawn. But unlike the fish god's cultists, he is ready to converse and understands reason. Let's not forget: we came here on a mission, and you are soldiers."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: IC

Postby Cotton » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 am

OOC:   I'm going to call for a fast talk or persuade roll from Anakunaisi and Fenn to keep everybody in line.  
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: IC

Postby Rooter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 am

OOC:   Persuade 30%
Rooter rolled 1d100:
5
 


Fenn can see the Aesir wilting under the force of his determination.
User avatar
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: IC

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 am

Anakunaisi
Fast talk 40%

evil_scientist rolled 1d100:
95


Hopefully Fenn's persuasive power is enough...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: IC

Postby Cotton » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am

The Aesir sees something in Fenn's eyes and decides, perhaps for the first time in his life, that discretion maybe the better part of valor. With the most vocal detractor quelled the rest of the men fall in line for now.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: IC

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:46 am

Image

"Right," says Claudius. "Let's head for the great hall. We'll approach with stealth." His own doubts are allayed by Fenn's words.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32443
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC

Postby Rooter » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 am

Fenn nods. "We only need to capture one of the cultists so perhaps it is best that only a small group venture within instead of entering into a full battle. Arethus and the others who are too cowardly to follow can stand guard." He sneers at the Aesir.
User avatar
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: IC

Postby evil_scientist » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Anakunaisi prepares his weapons, and gets ready to sneak in. He approves the plan.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: IC

Postby Cotton » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 am

The whole of the scouting party ventures back into the night. Arethus sets up duos and trios of men in a half circle around the long hall's entrance as quietly as possible. Then, Anakunaisi, Claudius, and Fenn creep to the large building. The doors are rotted and rusted and so getting them open stealthily require a few minutes work, but the trio manage to get in. The first thing they notice is a light coming from near the back of the hall. It is pale and slightly green tinged but is still surprising in the pitch blackness the scouts had grown accustomed to. The second thing is a fog that floats around the ankles of the three men, but grows thicker and fills more of the room the closer it gets to it and the green light's source.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: IC

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Image

Claudius unsheathes his massive greatsword, leaving his bow shouldered. The bow wouldn't help them take anyone alive, nor would he even be able to see a target through the fog until he was too close to use it. He could always hit someone with the flat of the blade to knock him unconscious. He leads the way toward the light, trying to be as silent as possible.

Spoiler:
Sneak roll (50% skill) walking towards the light:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
6
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32443
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC

Postby Rooter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 am

Fenn follows with sword in hand, scanning the darkness for signs of movement. "What manner of fog is this?" he whispers to Anakunaisi. "Surely it is no natural thing."

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 50%
Rooter rolled 1d100:
71
User avatar
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: IC

Postby evil_scientist » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 am

Anakunaisi racks his mind: has he seen anything like this fog before?

Spoiler:
Occult 25%
evil_scientist rolled 1d100:
22


In the meantime, he readies his bow.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: IC

Postby Cotton » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:22 am

The trio creep along towards the fog bank, but can not see what, if anything, lies within. Anakunaisi is certain that what lies before them is no natural fog; it is made specifically to partly blind and deafen any that traverse it. However, he is also certain it is made to guard an entrance of some sort; if they want to find the cult the trio will have to go through it.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: IC

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:16 am

Anakunaisi

"Witchery and deception... The passage is hidden in the depth of the fog," ANakunaisi shares his insight with the others.

He moves into the the vile mist, carefully looking for a way forward.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
User avatar
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: IC

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:15 am

Image

Claudius strides silently into the mist.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32443
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

PreviousNext

Return to Expedition into the Border Kingdom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest