IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Story, Lucius, and Brook are captured by Scaevola and his guards, and only Elizabeth escapes. As the sun rises on the Ides of March, she tries desperately to get help to rescue her friends. However, they have a dilemma: they cannot mount a rescue mission and stop Scaevola's plot at the same time.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 am

Scaevola's Villa- southwest of Rome, Italia
Mid-morning- March 15, 44 BC

Aricus and Spurius both scaled the wall and reached the top, but Spurius slipped and fell backwards, landing with a painful crunch. His ankle was sprained, and he would not be climbing any time soon. Meanwhile Decius and Aretmis also got to the top of the wall and were able to look over it. A single guard remained inside the gate, and when he saw Aricus, he rushed along the wall, drawing his khopesh. A long colonnade led from the gate to the villa itself, in front of which stood a huge statue of the Sphinx. Another guard had Caelia Alba by the arm and was hustling her to the front entrance of the villa, where two more guards stood. The guard holding Caelia gestured back to the wall at the men climbing over it, and the two guards began running towards Decius and Artemis, also drawing their swords, though they were still some distance away.

Elizabeth and Titus remained outside the villa.

Spoiler:
Aricus's Climb roll (70% skill):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
53

Spurius's Climb roll (40 x 2 = 80% base skill):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
100

Damage to Spurius from falling off of the wall (armor doesn't protect):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d6:
3


Those of you who have climbed the wall and wish to drop down inside may do so without having to roll.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39127
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Ritterton » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 am

Artemis dropped the two pilla to the ground inside the villa and jumped down as Spurius fell the other way. He could hear the soldier sharing his sudden discomfort, but grabbed a pillum and turned on the advancing guards.

"Don't think that they are going to just drop to their knees and be willing to let Lady Caelia go, do you Decius?" He glanced back to his colleague and then back at the advancing guards. He readied the pillum and took aim.
=====
Spoiler:
Should we do combat rolls?
User avatar
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:13 am

Decius grunts with amusement. "They're Egyptians, I had every hope that's what they'd do."

Decius drops from the wall and readies sword and shield. "The gods hate a coward."

Spoiler:
If and when the opportunity safely presents, Decius will be looking to remove the bar and throw open the gate.


decius lupus.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby yockenthwaite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:10 pm

"Should we try to climb over too?" says Elizabeth to Titus. "Or would we be better waiting here and hoping they can let us in?"
User avatar
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 am

"It is too dangerous for you to go over the wall now," said Spurius to Elizabeth and Titus as he bound his injury, "and you would be little help in the fight. Wait by the gate for them to open it. I'll be okay, but I can't climb the wall with my leg in this state."

Aricus stood on top of the wall, drawing his gladius and his shield as the guard coming for him got dangerously close. With a ferocious battle roar, he leapt from the wall onto the Egyptian, knocking him flat to the ground with his shield while at the same time stabbing him brutally in the chest. The gladiator's stellar reputation was well-deserved, for the guard was no match for him. He fell to the ground, stunned, dropping his khopesh, but he possessed tremendous strength of will and managed to remain conscious.

Meanwhile, Decius and Artemis barely had time to grab their weapons before his enemy closed in on them.

Spoiler:
Spurius's First Aid roll (30% base skill) treating his injury:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
19

HP recovered by Spurius:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d3:
3

Aricus's Jump roll (25% base skill) leaping from the wall onto the guard:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
2

Damage to guard from Aricus landing on him:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d6:
4

Arcius's Gladius roll (75% skill) attacking the guard:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
64

Damage to guard from gladius:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d6+1 and got a total of 3:
2
+
Mr. Handy rolled 1d4:
3

Guard's CON x 5 roll (65% stat) to stay conscious:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
1


Artemis, you may roll Throw to throw one of your pila at one of the guards (please specify which one). If you're throwing at one of the guards coming for you, you are at point blank range and may double your effective skill. Alternatively, you can stab one of them using your Pilum skill, but throwing it will be more effective with your point blank bonus, and you still have the second one in your other hand. It does 1D8 damage if you hit., or 2D8 on an impale. Decius, you may attack as well.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39127
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:19 am

"The gods help those who let others help them," Titus says dryly. "We shall wait."
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Ritterton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:20 am

Artemis was a bit surprised to see the falling guard and Spurius hit the ground and then the two guards running at him and Decius were nearly upon them. Artemis flung the pilla at point blank range at the guard to his right.

OOC:   Attack with Pilla against a 75
Ritterton rolled 1d100:
35
Which was a hit at 35, yet I am a bit confused about regular or impaled - so will give dice rolls for both and a little schooling is warranted.
Ritterton rolled 1d8:
6
Ritterton rolled 2d8:
3, 7
 
User avatar
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:48 am

Decius takes a swing at the second guard (not being poked a by Artemis). "Mars guide my blade!"

Spoiler:
Decius has a Long Sword skill of 75%, and rolls...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
13
User avatar
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby yockenthwaite » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Elizabeth nods as the others speak, understanding the wisdom of what they say, but still too scared for her friends to wait calmly. She bites her lip nervously, keeping an eye on the gate.
User avatar
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 am

Spoiler:
In the interests of efficiency, I'll roll Decius' damage too, noting the attack may yet be parried or dodged.

Decius has impaled so rolls 2d8 + 2d4
andyw666 rolled 2d8:
6, 1
+
andyw666 rolled 2d4:
3, 2

For a total of 12 HP damage.
User avatar
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:39 am

Spurius hobbled up to the gates, joining Elizabeth and Titus. "Stay behind me when we go inside," he told them.

The guard charging Artemis leapt aside, eyes wide with horror, and the javelin soared past him. However, his attack had been disrupted. Decimus ran his enemy, who was too slow to react, through. The spatha was stuck in the man's ribcage as he fell, unmoving. Now Decius was without a weapon in hand. His fellow guard, seeing the tide had turned, started to run back to the villa. The guard who held Caelia had already dragged her inside the villa's front entrance, but they could hear her shouting something.

Aricus ignored the guard he had knocked down and sprinted for the gates, reaching them just as his opponent dragged himself to his feet and retrieved his khopesh. When he saw how things were going, he too bolted for the villa as fast as his grievous wounds would allow.

Spoiler:
You score an impale when you roll 1/5 or less of your effective skill with a weapon that can impale. Since your Pilum skill is higher than your Throw skill, I'll allow you to use that for your throwing roll. Your skill is 75%, doubled to 150% for point blank range. However, 1/5 of that is 30, so you do not impale.

Thank you for rolling damage in advance. It will really help this move faster.

Artemis's opponent's Dodge roll (40% skill) to avoid the pilum:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
12

Decimus's opponent's Parry roll (35% skill) to block the blow:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
87

Decimus's opponent's Dodge roll (40% skill) to avoid the blow:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
50


Decius, Aricus, and Artemis, you may all roll Listen. Decius, if you wish to try to retrieve your weapon, please make a Long Sword roll to pull it out of the guard. This will be your action for the round if you choose to do it. Artemis, you may if you wish throw your second pilum, though the range is no longer point blank,
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39127
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Ritterton » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:27 am

Artemis watched as the guard dodged his near point blank pillum throw. He looked in disbelief as the pillum sailed past the man who spun about and ran as Decius stabbed his blade deep into the other advancing guard.

"By the light, that should not have happened," Artemis said as he adjusted his second pillum and tossed it after the fleeing guard.

Spoiler:
Ok, got it, and thank you for that explanation. So, attack on the guard who turned and fled -
Ritterton rolled 1d100:
93
damage roll
Ritterton rolled 1d8:
3
impale damage roll just in case
Ritterton rolled 2d8:
3, 3


Artemis watched in disbelief as his second pillum went both short and hooked. He looked in total disbelief. He was a veteran of the Auxiliary, he missed. MISSED! "We have to get to Lady Caelia, come on." Artemis began to run to the gate.
User avatar
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Decius reaches for his longsword with a quiet sigh.

Spoiler:
Listen skill of 25% and he rolls...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
32


Long Sword skill of 75% and he rolls...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
83
User avatar
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:11 am

Decius stepped on the guard with his boot and tried to extract his sword with both hands, but it remained stuck. He had struck too well. Artemis's second pilum fell short, landing not far from the first one. The two fleeing guards were now about halfway to the villa's front entrance. Aricus hoisted the iron bar blocking the gates and threw them open, allowing Spurius, Elizabeth, and Titus to enter.

"Where are the others?" asked Aricus.

"They went back to Rome," said Spurius. "Marcus reported that Scaevola had left for Rome some time ago, and they hastened back there to try to save Caesar."

"Then it is just the six of us. Quickly, we must reach the villa!" He pointed down the path which led from the gates to the villa's front door along a colonnade, where a large statue of the Sphinx seemingly stood guard in front of it.

Spoiler:
Aricus's Listen roll (25% base skill):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
83

Artemis's Listen roll (25% base skill):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
44

Decius, you may attempt to remove your sword again by making another roll, but that will take up the next round whether you succeed or fail. Alternatively, you could just scoop up the fallen guard's khopesh without delaying yourself, though its base chance to hit is 5 points lower than your long sword, giving you an effective skill of 70%. It still does 1D8+db damage. Artemis, if you choose to head for the villa, you may retrieve the pila while on the move without slowing yourself down.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39127
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:56 am

Cursing under his breath in Gallic, Decius gives up on his spatha (for now), grabs the khopesh and races for the villa's front door.

"Having to use one of these cursed Egyptian swords at my time of life, the indignity of it," he mutters to himself. Then to Artemis he calls, "That's one nil to me."
User avatar
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 am

Titus is neither hero nor coward. He follows the sage advice of Spurius and remains behind, but is ready to defend himself and others if the gods will it.
Last edited by Victoria Silverwolf on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Ritterton » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 am

Artemis ran after Decius, reached down and grabbed the pilla that had gone long. He continued to follow after Decius. "We need to end this and rescue Lady Cealia."
User avatar
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 am

The group ran for the villa's front door, the four warriors in front and Elizabeth and Titus close behind them. They all met up as they neared the Sphinx, which had to be twenty feet tall, at the same time that the two guards ran inside the villa.

Then the impossible happened. The stone Sphinx began to move, flexing nonexistent muscles as it took up a defensive stance in front of the villa's entrance. "Halt, mortals!" it bellowed.

Spoiler:
Everyone, please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1/1d10. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, you must roll Idea. If you succeed at the Idea roll, you go temporarily insane. Otherwise, you may act freely.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39127
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:43 am

Spoiler:
San = 65
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d100:
77

Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d10:
6

Idea = 60
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d100:
94


Titus trembles in fear at this terrifying apparition.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Rescue(Everyone else)

Postby andyw666 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:07 am

Spoiler:
Decius' Sanity is 35 and he rolls...
andyw666 rolled 1d100:
44


Spoiler:
Sanity loss...
andyw666 rolled 1d10:
2
User avatar
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 am
Location: A Land Down Under

Next

Return to Episode 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests