Convergence

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Re: Convergence

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:45 am

"Either of you know anything about computers?" asks Vanessa, heading back to the bathroom to see what Griff has spotted.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:56 am

Nik finishes his task and comes back into the hotel room, which is presently empty. It sounds like the others are in the bathroom.

As José shines the flashlight on the bath water, there is a sudden disturbance in the water, before a tentacle of white goo flies out of the water and at him!

Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 1d100:
attack

But Jose backs up at the last second, and the attack misses him.

From out of the bloody water rises a larger glob of white slime, about the size and shape of a large bowl. It squirms to the end of the tub and pushes itself out of it, and begins to ooze towards the agents. The tentacle that had attacked José withdraws back into the shape and vanishes.

OOC:   San rolls for everyone seeing the large pile of slime, even Griff. 0/1d4. We are officially in combat.

Griff goes first. Vanessa and Nik have the same Dex so technically go at the same time, and José goes next. The slime goes last. Since the enemy goes last, feel free to post as you can.

Nik, as you are in the next room, you will not be able to engage the slime puddle until next turn. On the bright side, you don't have to make a sanity roll until you see it, either.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:35 am

Spoiler:
SAN 64
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
Potential loss
jp1885 rolled 1d4:
Geez, that went as well as could be expected!
Griff curses loudly once more as the thing oozes out of the bath. He backs up, instinctively fumbling for his weapon.

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
Not a natural fighter even when he's not panicking, the shot goes wide.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:44 am

Silver Priest wrote:But Jose backs up at the last second, and the attack misses him.

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100:

"What the fuck!" José takes a fe step back "Its a blob, it tried to attack me!" he draws his scalpel with one hand illuminating the thing with his flashlight with the other hand
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:06 pm

Nik hears the commotion and then the shot in the bathroom. He draws his sidearm, but decides it would be prudent to get some light in the place.

He jumps on the bed and screws the bulb into the socket, flooding the room with light.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:58 pm

OOC:   Just realized that the blob crit failed on its last action, so I'm going to say it loses a turn. It had trouble getting fully out of the tub and was delayed.As a result, all of you get one more turn to act before it can.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:38 pm

As the thing flounders in the bath, Griff backs away, using the brief respite to look for a can of spray deoderant. Finally thinking rationally, he doubts whether gunfire would harm it, judging by the jelly-like nature of the thing. Maybe then, a spray of fire?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:14 pm

OOC:   Griff, please roll luck.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:33 am

Vanessa hadn't wanted to discharge her firearm in the hotel, but Jose has already done it, so there's nothing to lose at this point. She draws and fires and it in a single motion.

Spoiler:
If that thing's close enough to attack Jose, it must be at point blank range. With the bonus, would his shot hit?. Mine might too if I'm also at point blank range, if the bonus is +20.

Sanity roll (current level 68) for seeing the blob:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

Firearms roll (72% skill) shooting at the blob:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

Damage to blob if the shot hits:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d10:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:07 am

OOC:   Valid point Mr. Handy. Yes, I added the rule to the rules thread; if you're shooting within 3 meters of an enemy it's considered a point blank shot and you get a +20 bonus. Just keep in mind you're likely to draw attention if you're close enough to qualify for the bonus.  

Round 1

Griff's shot just hits the blob, opening up a hole within it, and sending a small splatter of it around the bathtub.

José shines his light fully on the thing, to no apparent reaction from the slime.

Nik proves it only takes one federal agent to screw in a lightbulb, and the room is now illuminated in light just like the bathroom.

Vanessa blows another small hole in the slime creature, to similar effect as Griff. To both agents horror the holes begin to close with a sickening squish.

OOC:   Round two. Griff, if you succeed on your luck roll you can make an attack roll this turn, using firearms. I'll roll for damage, if it even does any.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:27 am

Spoiler:
Luck (50/50 I think?)
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
Firearms 50%
jp1885 rolled 1d100:
As luck would have it, Griff's frantic sweep of the bathroom yields a can of deodorant. Flipping open his lighter, he depresses the button, sending a whoosh of flame towards the creature.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Nik puts his head round the door of the crowded bathroom, just in time to see Griff shooting flames over the bath.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:57 am

"Put out the lights!" says Vanessa, already flipping the light switch off in the bathroom. "Adams made the room dark for a reason!" She then turns off the lights in the main room.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:07 am

OOC:   Anatomist, you still have a second action, so next turn you can take two.

Jp1885, luck is 50/50 in DG, but I prefer the CoC model of Pow*5 so I've house ruled that in. Also, while you're in the bathroom you get +20 on your firearm attacks to hit the thing; you have to be pretty close to hit it with the fire so you get point blank bonus.  

Round two

Griff finds a can of deodorant,and thinking quickly, improvises a string of flame directly at the blob.

Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 1d6:

Ouch, bad luck.

The flame barely singes the creature, but it seems to have made it recoil in something approaching pain for just a second. If they can hit it with a better shot it might do more damage.

Nik sees the flames of his fellow agent but can't yet get a good look at what he is firing at.

Vanessa flips off the light switch, plunging the room into almost total darkness, the only two sources of light now Jose's flashlight and the light coming from the bedroom.

The creature continues to ooze forward. Again a tentacle of sludge forms within it, but this time it shoots out at Griff

Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 1d100:

But once again the attack is easily avoided by the DG agent.

OOC:   Griff and Jose, I assume as part of your actions you're moving backwards a few steps each turn. The slime continues forward. It's about halfway across the bathroom floor, and if you did not move it would have reached one of you by now. I don't believe either of your agent particularly wants this to happen. ;)  

Spoiler:
Did Nik close the hotel room door when he came back in the room?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:44 am

Spoiler:
Yes, he wouldn't want any prying eyes.

Nik turns the bathroom light back on again, and comes further into the bathroom, trying to get a look at Griff's target, but not so close so that he gets in the way.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:12 am

Spoiler:
jp1885 rolled 1d100+20 and got a total of 31:

Not sure I did that right, but happy with the natural roll!
Stepping back, Griff sprays the creature again.

”Burn it!” he yells.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:09 am

José dont really want to shot at the thing, and he gets slightly scared so he moves out of the room.
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Nik pushes past Jose, his mouth dropping open when he sees the nature of the threat. He quickly grabs a towel from the rack, intending to throw it over the creature if necessary.

Spoiler:
Please tell me if I’m taking liberties with finding a towel, but it seems logical. If Griff manages to burn it, Nik will desist. I guess it would be a DEX roll?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:34 am

Spoiler:
Griff's roll is actually a critical success. The +20 applies to your effective skill level, not to the roll itself. I'll hold off on acting until I see what his action's results are, as his action goes before mine.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:17 am

OOC:   Mr. Handy is correct. In the future, if I give you a bonus or penalty to a skill just apply it to the base number. So since your firearms is 50% normally it would be 70% now. So okay, let's see how this plays out.  

Round three

Griff takes a step back and unleashes another spray of fire at the blob, this one seeming to directly hit it.

Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 2d6:
5, 3

It's a much more effective hit, and the slime is engulfed in flame. And then it simply collapses, its base disintegrating as the blob falls apart into a pile of unmoving and still burning matter. It smells like chlorine and burnt rubber, and is quite foul. But it seems truly dead, or near enough.

Nik
observes the last seconds of the creature, to his great shock. He grabs a towel and manages to put out the flame before it starts a smoke alarm.

OOC:   Nik, please make your san roll. 0/1d4. Also we're out of combat. For the moment.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Delta Green: S-Cell