Music From a Darkened Room

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Re: Music From a Darkened Room

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:02 pm

OOC:   Vanessa's adventures in mirror land don't need to be read by the other players. You certainly can if you feel you can keep IC and OOC knowledge separate, but it's not mandatory.  

Spoiler:
She summons all her strength, and forces a different sort of image into her head. Malcolm, who despite the problems they were having, she still loved. Angela and Lucas, her mother and brother. Even Rex, the sweet dog that would be dissapointed if he could not curl up by her at night. She could not leave them, not yet!

One final surge of energy pushes through her, and she surges forward, just reaching the light as her strength fails...

Nik grabs for the axe on Chaz's back, hoping to free Vanessa from inside the mirror. Before either of them can do anything however Vanessa falls out of the mirror, coughing and shaking. She is covered in a greenish, stale and foul smelling water that drips onto the floor beneath her. She looks cold and shaky, but seems otherwise unharmed.

Vanessa feels physically fine. The damage inflicted on her on the other side must have been mental, because her body seems to shrug off the wounds she suffered from within. But her mental fortitude is another thing. She feels... drained, in some way, and somewhat weaker than when she went in. Some part of her essence remains in the other realm. She was very fortunate the rest of her was able to escape.

Spoiler:
OOC:   Vanessa can recover all her lost HP. The POW however remains gone, and she knows instinctively she will never recover part of her will. This experience has taken a lot out of her. But thankfully she's alive. Had you died in there I would have been really upset! ;)  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:34 pm

"It was a trap," gasps Vanessa. "I nearly died in there, like all the others. I saw them, floating on the sea in the distance. I almost drowned, but I barely managed to escape through a vortex. I don't know if Isabelle was among the dead, but I didn't see her or get to speak to her. I had visions of what had happened here before. It was all for nothing. We should call Dr. Yarrow and tell him what happened."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Anatomist » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Chaz fights he instincts to turn the mirror to dust with the axe now in Niks posesion, he would have to fight him for it... that would not work, chaz galres at the mirror, looking for any sign of the woman
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:55 pm

There is no sign of anything in the mirror except the reflection of the agents.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:42 pm

"What do you mean, it was all for nothing?" asks Nik sharply. "What was for nothing?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:53 pm

"Trying to contact Isabelle by touching the mirror," says Vanessa. "I didn't get through to her, and I almost died. Part of me did die." She shudders. "That's why we need to call Dr. Yarrow, to get his advice about how to reach out to her." She takes out her phone and calls him to ask him.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Yarrow picks up on the first ring. The agents get the impression he's rather anxious-or eager- to help.

Provided Vanessa gives him the code phrase they agreed upon and brief recap, he tuts. "As I've said some of these manifestations can be unpleasant, and it sounds like you encountered one. Isabelle or something pretending to be her lured you into a trap.

"You could attempt it again. Speak calmly to the manifestation and hope to show you are not a threat to it.It may have acted in such a way because it was unsettled by your attention and intimate knowledge of it. Alternatively, you could take a more aggressive route and use the ax to sever the manifestation's ties to this realm, though first you would need to discover the focal point of where this spirit's energy comes from. I do have some tools that could assist with that. Would it be alright for me to join you for a few moments? I will of course stay within all of your sights. Frankly speaking, from what you have told me even I would be a bit cautious to go off on my own.

OOC:   I assume Vanessa would tell the others what Yarrow is saying, so you all can weigh in on your next move here.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Vanessa fills the others in on what Dr. Yarrow told her. "I'm okay with Dr. Yarrow coming in with his tools if you are," she says. "The front door is still wedged open, so he should be able to get out afterwards. I'm willing to talk to Isabelle again, if that actually was her, but I'm not touching that mirror any more."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:32 pm

"Okay" says Nik after a moment. "But we all stay together."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Chaz nods and takes he lead towards the door to fetch Yarrow "I can get that back now please" he says to Nik
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Dr. Yarrow says he'll be right over, and a few moments later he shows up, holding a handheld device. It looks a little like a walkie-talkie in shape, and the front of it contains a wide meter with numbers and an arrow.

"This is a very important tool in paranormal investigations," Yarrow explains. "You point it at various objects and it will measure the residential energies that are within the object. Think of it like a radiation detector. In this way we can determine what this manifestation is attached to at the strongest point here within the house, and then can work to sever that if needed."

As if to demonstrate, he approaches the mirror and runs the object up and down in front of it. The arrow moves slightly, about one third of the way up the series of numbers. "There's definitely a residue of energy here, but it's not much more than what I would expect. I can say with confidence that this is not the focal point of this spirit's energy. We'll have to search for it. Unless of course any of you have any idea where that may be
?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Nik looks at Charley carefully, but gives the axe back.

“Try not to cut yourself with it” he says.

He listens to Yarrow’s explanation. “Can you run that gizmo over the furniture we brought with us first?” he asks.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:55 pm

The doctor does so. The end table only get a mild reading. The piano gets slightly more, especially at the mirror back, but nothing he seems concerned with. The armoire tests the strongest of the furniture, especially on the interior, but even that fails to move the needle much.

"Interesting," Yarrow considers as he strokes his thick white beard. "I suppose that would suggest that the manifestation holds no particular attachment to these objects. It's probably safe to ignore them." Of course, the agents had paid significantly to attain all of the house's furniture. Maybe they could be resold later on though.

"So far the most significant reading has come from this mirror," Yarrow explains, pointing his meter at the closet door once again. "It's elevated slightly above what I would consider normal, suggesting the manifestation has some tie to it, but it's highly unlikely to be the main centerpoint of its ties within this realm."

Spoiler:
Everyone can make an idea roll. Success indicates that there's a pattern of these manifestations appearing within mirrors, and the master bedroom is apparently covered in them.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 am

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100:
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:56 pm

"The mirrors seem to be the means by which the spirits, or whatever the hell they are, reach into the world" Nik tells Yarrow. "But there might be other items which are dangerous. We need to proceed with extreme caution".

Spoiler:
I think everyone must be well aware of the danger of the mirrors by now!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:44 am

"Neat," says Vanessa, examining the device. "It's like the PKE meters from Ghostbusters. Too bad we don't also have proton packs." She thinks for a moment. "What about Isabelle's bed? She spent a very long time in it. She must have formed an attachment to it."

Spoiler:
Idea roll (55% stat) about the mirrors:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:38 am

"The movie got a lot of things wrong," Yarrow says, with some degree of smugness. "But the concept is the same. And that's a good point about her bed. I suppose we can check that out. It should be in the master bedroom I would think."

He goes into the den, which looks remarkably similar to the last time the agents were here. This large room seems to be the centerpiece of the house, and holds
the grand fireplace. According to the house plans, exits lead to the foyer, the back porch, the kitchen and attached breakfast nook, and a hallway to three bedrooms. The master bedroom is on the other side of the house, past the breakfast nook and at the end of the attached hallway. A few old Styrofoam cups are placed on a coffee table in the center of the room, and seem to be filled with rancid and long forgotten coffee.

Yarrow does another scan of the room, slowly moving the device all around. After a moment he shakes his head. "Nothing in here really pings. Let's keep moving." He moves east towards the kitchen.Do the agents follow or do they want to investigate another direction first?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 am

Silver Priest wrote:Yarrow does another scan of the room, slowly moving the device all around. After a moment he shakes his head. "Nothing in here really pings. Let's keep moving." He moves east towards the kitchen.Do the agents follow or do they want to investigate another direction first?

Chaz rises his axe and follows
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Spoiler:
Do you mind posting the house layout again for convenience SP? It saves trawling back through the earlier posts.

"If we need to be in the master bedroom, then let's get there" Nik warns, an edge to his voice. "We can't afford to screw around".
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:50 pm

OOC:   Sure, posted it in the ooc thread for easy reference. I'll throw it up here too https://i.postimg.cc/2j01sDFv/tumblr-in ... ji-540.png

Won't be able to post again until Thursday, also.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Delta Green: S-Cell