Return To Sender

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Re: Return To Sender

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 am

“Hi” says Andre, trying to look friendly. “We’re trying to find Thomas Iron Shirt. He’s been missing for a while with his friends, Jacob Left Hand and Charles Low Horn. We understand that you’re not involved with Thomas, but we really need to find him. We don’t want to arrest him or anything, just talk to him. He could be in a lot of trouble, and we might be able to help.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 am

"Who are you?" Lynne's eyes narrow further. "You cops?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:40 am

Andre shakes his head.

“No. We’re not here in any legal capacity. We’re not looking to arrest anybody. Can we come in?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:26 pm

Lynne regards them for a moment before offering a perfunctory nod, opening the door wider and letting them all in. She looks around outside before closing it after them.

She collapses into a chair, rubbing a hand through her messy dark hair.

"First of all, how do you know about Thomas, why are you looking for him? Did he contact you?'" Her tone betrays both curiosity and hope.

"Before I tell you anything, I want full immunity. None of this ever gets out, understand?" She waits for confirmation and an answer to her questions before continuing.

OOC:   Everyone can make a HUMINT roll.  

Spoiler:
Lynne's very skittish, bordering on paranoid. She's afraid of something or someone. Unless she thinks the agents can help her, she seems liable to shut down very easily.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 am

Spoiler:
HUMINT 10: HUMINT: 1d100 4

Andre can see that Lynne is very scared.

“Yes, he got in contact. Lynne, we can’t give you immunity, but we’re not making a record of this. We’re not bringing you in to be questioned or anything like that. No-one will know your involvement. We can help you and Thomas, but only if you tell us everything you know about what’s going on.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 am

"Rest assured, what you tell us stays between us," says Vanessa.

Spoiler:
Wallace Red Crow and Lynne are the names of Native American characters in Zombie Apocalypse. In fact, Wallace Red Crow is an ex-reservation cop. Was this intentional?

HUMINT roll (57% skill) about Lynne:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 am

Spoiler:
Oh wow, I did not notice that that, great catch! I was actually wondering if the creator of the Zombie game knew of this scenario, because without giving too much a way, another character with the same name from your game also appears in this one and has a similar personality, I'm hoping you meet them. Anyway, I'm guessing I have my answer that the creator took some inspiration from this. That's really cool to know. I'll have to keep my eyes open for any other NPC's making a cameo appearance. :D

Lynne still seems reluctant, but hearing Thomas is alive seems to give her some sort of hope.

"The jackass... he couldn't tell me he was still alive? He probably fucked up really badly though, and was trying to protect me. Dumbass." Her smile is almost fond.

"The thing about Tommy is he could convince anyone of anything. So one night he was hearing me bitch about my minimum wage job and he told me that he had an idea. An idea that could make us rich. Oh he painted a pretty picture. I should have known he's screw it up, but at the time he made it seem so appealing."

"I work for Amalgamated Bio Corp. It's a chemical company about twenty miles north of here. I'm just cleaning staff, nothing too important, but the company has a lot of expensive production equipment. And Tommy got it in his head that he could use some of those materials to start his own meth business. He sweet talked me, told me I deserved it, and frankly I was tired of being treated like shit. So I helped him. The night of September 4th I helped him and his dumbass friends break in, 'cause I knew security was its sparsest then. I got them some cleaning uniforms and supplies, electronic ID's to get around the plant, and a parking sticker for Charles Low Horn's truck. Then I waited. Plan was Tommy would be back the next day, but of course he screwed that up. I was a nervous wreck, but I tried to appear calm, you know? I figured chances were pretty high Tommy was in the Tribal Police's custody and was squealing on me, but if he was keeping his mouth shut I figured I should keep trying to do my job.

"I went to work for my shift the next night-- I work late nights, midnight to 8-- and I knew something was wrong. The plant was locked down like I've never seen, and most of the workers including me were sent home. I heard alarms going off and could see frantic activity around the Gemstone production facility. Tanker
trucks were parked there, people spraying water, or something, on the buildings, like there was a fire. I saw men in "space suits" outside the plant, full hazmat gear. They were talking on handheld radios. The only people working were security staffers and people detailed to "repair and containment" operations, which I had never seen outsides drills before.

When I got back to work the next night,things seemed normal. But when I felt it was safe I asked about the strange activity-- people thought it was a chemical spill. But the strange thing is that none of the people with firsthand knowledge of what happened on the 4th in either the Sapphire production unit or the security office were working at the plant any longer. They all got reassigned to other facilities, most in Maryland. Word is they got very generous benefits to move so quick. That's when I knew something was wrong. I don't know what happened, but I'm thinking Tommy and his friends either caused a chemical spill in Sapphire or witnessed something they were not supposed to. Until you guys showed up I had thought ABC had them kill and disposed of their bodies in the incinerator. I can't prove anything yet, and I'm not even sure what I'll do when I can; we all know 'round here that the tribal police are in ABC's pocket. I'm currently trying to get assigned to Ray Turner's office-- he's the head of the plant and might have some documents relating to what happened, I don't really know."

Lynne finishes her speech, looking greatly relieved; it occurs to the agents they're likely the first people she's told. " Can you tell me anything of what happened then? Or Tommy? Can I please speak to him? I need to know what happened! Is he, like, in witness protection?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 am

Andre gives meaningful glances at his colleagues while Lynne tells her story.

“Now we’re getting somewhere!" he thinks, his heart racing. When she has finished he says,

Tommy took something with him and tried to contact the press. That’s what led us here. We’re looking at ABC and we want to know what’s going on there. So neither of you are in trouble with us, and it can stay that way. But we don’t know where he is, and we need to find him. Is there somewhere he would go when he wants to lay low? Or does one of the others have a place like that?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 pm

"If they've transferred all these people out," says Vanessa, "ABC must have openings. Maybe with a little help from you, we could get hired to replace them so we could look around and help you get to the bottom of this."

Spoiler:
Welsh created this version of Zombie Apocalypse in 2006, and he has returned to the board recently. When was this scenario published? If it's from before 2006, which it would be if it's classic Delta Green, then you're probably right.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:47 am

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves!" says Andre, uneasily. "We can cross that bridge when we come to it."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 am

Spoiler:
Yep, it came out in 1999, so seems like it. Don't be surprised if that makes me subtly change characters portrayals in some way to fit the zombie game. Also while this will almost certainly not come up, it's now canon to me that the Lantham's are vacationing in the nearby national park. They deserve a happyish vacation. ;P

"I'm glad someone's looking into this!" Lynne says, new hope lighting her eyes. "ABC owns everything on the Rez-- the cops, the government... I'll be glad to help you take them down. What did Tommy take, anyway? It must have been something really bad if he did not even try to make money off of it. I just can't understand why he didn't try to contact me. He knew I'd be worried sick.

"Wait, so you've not actually seen him
?" The worry is back. "He must really be in hiding, then. Sure, I know some areas he'd go. But thing is, they're all on the Rez. I've looked in all our old haunts, and he's not been at any of them. And Tommy... he ain't exactly subtle. I can't imagine where he'd be hiding. The only thing I can think of is whatever he saw at ABC really scarred the shit out of him, and he wanted to put as much distance from him and it as he could until he could get help. Still, not contacting me... he could have at least warned me."

"Well most of the openings have been filled
," Lynne explains. "But ABC leadership are racist motherfuckers-- one more 'Indian' on the cleaning staff won't make them bat the eye. But all the staff come from folks on the Rez-- of you three, probably only he could fit in." She gives a nod to Jose. While he's Hispanic, there had been a few locals the agents had observed in town that he could pass as related to. "Of course, the rest of the cleaning staff would know you ain't from around here. We'd need to figure out a workaround for that.

"Getting into security could be tougher, frankly. I'm not saying it's impossible. But unless you have a background in it or have done previous work for ABC or something I don't think you'd get a job anytime soon-- and my word as a reference won't mean much
." It occurs to the agents that maybe Delta Green could give them fake ID's that might be suitable for this sort of work-- of course it would still mean they'd likely have to explain why they had any interest in working for a plant in the middle of nowhere.

Of course there were other options besides going undercover.Depending on the agents talents and their preferred approach, they probably could try a few things, including walking up to the door or attempting to sneak in-- it had apparently worked for Thomas and his friends.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:47 am

Tommy must have hit the road” says Andre to the other agents. “We could put a BOLO on him, he’s bound to get into trouble sooner or later. As for ABC, getting a job there is a long shot in my opinion. It might be better to go in the same way Tommy did.”

He turns to Lynne.

Lynne, can you sketch out the layout of the plant for me? Plus any floor plans of buildings that you know?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:48 pm

"The problem with that is that they'll have stepped up security after the 4th," says Vanessa. "Still, with those transfers, they'll have fewer security guards, even with most of the openings filled. However, with new employees there, we don't have to actually get jobs there. We just need uniforms and ID cards, and we can pretend to be new employees even though we haven't been hired. They'll be expecting to see unfamiliar faces."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:49 am

Andre nods at Vanessa’s comments.

“That’s right. We can use it to our advantage.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:29 am

Lynne nods. "I have some floor plans of ABC I've been able to acquire over the past few months." She scurries off and gets them, bringing them back soon.

Spoiler:

If you have any questions about the pics, let me know-- I'm awful with mapping so I'm very glad the book was kind enough to provide several images. :)

"Security is tight. There's about 50 guards, spaced out over three shifts of 8 hours, the same for cleaning staff. Most of the guards are native, but I'd say about a dozen are white guys that commute to ABC. Most guards tend to stick to one shift-- I don't think most of them would recognize guards who claim to work mostly on other shifts, so maybe you could get in that way. But getting you the guards uniform and ID's sounds risky." It's clear she's reluctant to try."

OOC:   You can make an INT roll if you'd like a hint for pursuing this option.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:46 am

“Wow, you really did your homework” says Andre, looking over the maps. “Yeah, stealing uniforms and IDs for guards is probably a tall order. What about cleaning personnel like you? Could you get IDs again?”

Spoiler:
INT 55: INT: 1d100 24
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 am

"I've been seriously trying to get to the bottom of things at ABC," Lynne explains, looking pleased by the praise. "As for cleaning it should be easier for me to acquire the uniforms and ID's-- there's a bit of reshuffling amongst the cleaning staff every now and again, and like I said management pays less attention to them. But like I said, you're more likely to stick out in that role- except maybe in the Gemstone units. We use a full body suit and filter units while cleaning in there."

It occurs to Andre that there was more than one way to acquire uniforms and ID's for the security. Most of the guards lived on the reservation. A mugging or bribery could work, to gain access to both uniforms and ID's. Then they could contact Drake. It was a good chance someone in the agency could get them counterfeits that could stand up to some scrutiny and which they could use to gain access. Then it would be a matter of showing up to work and trying to blend in, passing themselves off as new to the shift. The downside to this is it could take some time to get the forgeries made; if they wanted to get inside ABC as soon as possible, this might not be the best plan.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:49 am

Spoiler:
I thought about taking the guards hostage but it means 3 different uniforms of appropriate size, and 3 different IDs, so that is 3 guards. It’s a big bribe (and they might double cross us). If it’s a mugging, then it has to be planned to happen where there are no witnesses (3 times maybe) and they have their uniforms, so on the way to or from work, and then they have to be held somewhere. Jose could wait in the car, so we only need two, but it’s still too risky. If we get fake IDs made, we still need the uniforms.

“I can dye my hair” says Andre, rubbing his blond crew cut. “When is your next shift, Lynne?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:09 am

"It might be easier to take guard uniforms and ID cards from the premises themselves," says Vanessa. "Those of us who don't blend in can wear the full body suits and stay around the Gemstone units. We want to look at Sapphire anyway."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:15 am

“Sure, but we have to be inside the facility to begin with to get all of that stuff” Andre replies. “So we still need ID to get through the gate.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Delta Green: S-Cell