The Vanishing of Abigail Wright

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Re: The Vanishing of Abigail Wright

Postby Silver Priest » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 am

The one typewriter the agents have pulled off the wall was already broken. Thus, comparing the writing was difficult. But they could continue to search and see what they find. It would likely still take some time, however.

OOC:   If you'd like to search for more pages of the play or more typewriters in all of the junk please make the usual search roll.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 am

Spoiler:
I think we should find and talk to Post, presumably Louis, first.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:52 am

"Okay then, let's find Post and see what he can tell us" says Nik.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:30 am

Spoiler:
An hour has passed, and Jose can make another bureaucracy check to try and find information.

The two agents head upstairs to Louis Post's apartment. It takes three knocks on the door before it opens, revealing a tired looking man in his twenties who resembles nothing so much as a large toad. Unkempt and with a pox ridden face and a thick pair of glasses, he looks confused to see them.

"Hey. -Can I help you?" He's blocking the doorway, preventing either agent from seeing into the apartment.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:17 am

Nik holds up his badge.

"We're with the FBI, investigating the disappearance of Abigail Wright. Are you Louis Post? We'd like to come in and talk to you."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 am

A bit discouraged José takes a chocolate from his fannypack and gets a coffee in the reception after a small rest he goes over the papers again.

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100:
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Spoiler:
The treat gives Jose the burst of energy he needs,and he gets to work once again. This time, he has more luck, and he finds documents pertaining to the Macallistar Building.

It was constructed in 1921, beginning life as a private residence for a Henry M. Lundine, of who no further detail is included. An addendum to the file indicates that the building was upgraded in 1953 and became an apartment building, which it has been until today. The architect is listed as an A. Darabondi.

It's a short time after that to find blueprints for the building. They seem to check out based on what Jose had seen, and little seems of amiss. But within the blueprints he finds a small cream colored note that reads HOTEL BROADALBIN. A small scrawl to the side of the file reads "Tonight I saw the rooms at dusk." No other information is found on the paper, including an address for the hotel. Jose recalls that the Hotel Broadalbin had been listed as having the same address as the Macallistar Building, but according to the records said hotel has never excited at this address.

Did Jose want to look through the records further to find any trance of the Broadalbin? Or did he want to return to the apartments?

"Oh, of course. Come in, please." He opens the door and lets the agents follow him in.

As soon as the agents enter It becomes apparent what Louis was trying to hide; his apartment is a mess, with empty pizza boxes, paint cans, and dirty clothing covering the floor. Garbage sprawls out from under the sink and now covers most of the kitchen floor. Louis at least has the good grace to seem embarrassed. "I uh, apologize about the mess. I've been hard at work on a few projects recently, and things have gotten a bit out of hand."

Other than the mess, the apartment appears normal. In place of paintings are framed covers of comic book covers, a few famous but most not."

Spoiler:
Post's name is listed as illustrator on most of these.

"I saw Abigail a few times, but not recently before she disappeared. It's a shame; she was nice and I hope she's found. But I don't really know anything about her movements, we're all artists in here and mostly keep to ourselves.

"Can I get you guys a drink or anything?'

OOC:   If anyone wants they can make a HUMINT roll.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 am

Vanessa enters the apartment, careful to avoid the garbage. "No thank you," she says, not wanting to put anything that's been in here in her mouth. "Were you at a party in Abigail Wright's apartment, Mr. Post?"

Spoiler:
Alertness roll (53% skill) in the apartment:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

HUMINT roll (57% skill) about Louis Post:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Nik shakes his head at Post's offer, and waits for him to answer Vanessa's question.

Spoiler:
Alertness 54: Alertness: 1d100 87
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Post looks surprised. "A party? Not since Christmas... Abigail invited everyone in the building, and I stopped by. She showed us some of her recent works, I showed her a few of my comic covers, we drank a little. It was alright, but I'm not really a party person to be honest, so I left early.

Vanessa gets the sense that Louis is being honest-- he seems anxious to even have them in his apartment, but it seems more related to general social anxiety than him actively hiding anything.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:30 pm

"Do you remember who else was at the party?" asks Vanessa.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 pm

"This was nearly a year ago... Um, a few of Abby's friends, but I don't remember any of their names. Thomas was there, Thomas Manuel, he lives in the building. Roger Carun showed up briefly to complain about the noise. Maybe ten people were there? It wasn't that big.

He moves to the refrigerator, taking a carton of milk out of it, and searches around for a glass that's only slightly smudged.

OOC:   Both of you can make Alertness rolls again.  

Spoiler:
The agent spies the expiration date-- that milk suggested "sell by" date is over a month ago.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 am

Spoiler:
Alertness 54: Alertness: 1d100 8

Nik spots the expiry date on the carton.

"You may not want to drink that, Mr. Post" he tells the illustrator. "Do you know anything about a play Abigail was writing?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:57 am

"Are you sure you're all right, sir?" asks Vanessa. "How much of that milk have you already drunk?"

Spoiler:
Alertness roll (53% skill) in Post's apartment:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:09 am

Post pulls the carton back and looks at the date. " Huh. That's interesting, but the milk's still fine." He takes a large gulp of it and seems to have no trouble digesting it. "See?" He offers the carton to the agents if they wish to have some.

"You know, I'm really not sure. I went shopping a few weeks ago, I think? Must have gotten it there. I've had a few glasses here and there, but most of it's still left, so probably not as much as I thought I had."

"A play?" He looks back confused at Nik. "No, you must be confused. Abigail was a painter. She never expressed interest in plays."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:13 am

Nik sighs, but decides to press on.

Mr. Post, did Abigail ever tell you about anything strange? For example, did she complain about hearing voices or the feeling of being watched? Has anyone else in this building, for that matter?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:16 pm

"What are you working on, Mr. Post?" asks Vanessa after he has answered Nik's question. Whatever it is, it seems to be have become an obsession for him if he hasn't gone shopping in weeks and has let his place become a sty.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 pm

"Not to my knowledge. Though honestly I keep mostly to myself, so if something was going on in here I doubt I'd really know about it. But I can't recall anything unusual happening around here." Vanessa can tell that he seems genuinely confused by the question.

"Ah, I'm a comic book illustrator!" He gestures to the covers illustrated around the room, and now that he pointed it out the agents can see that his name is listed on most of them. "I'm doing the run of FoxBoy now. You heard of him?" Unless the agents were big comic book fans, they hadn't. "Really big opportunity for me. My deadline's coming up in a few days; still have some final inking on it to finish, so I've been sequestered here while I'm trying to make it perfect. If either of you were interested I could show you some of what I've done, give you both a sneak peak."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:05 pm

"Thanks, I'd like that," says Vanessa with a smile.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Anatomist » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:38 pm

José digs deeper into the papertrail