Convergence

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Re: Convergence

Postby jp1885 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 pm

"Eddington..." Griff jots down the name. "War reporter, am I right? Bit of a come-down this, huh?"

He completely ignores Sonja, hoping that this will put someone so used to getting all the attention onto the back foot.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:58 am

"I'm sorry to disappoint you," says Vanessa, "but there are no aliens here. It's just a hoax designed to mask criminal activity, and not a very clever or original one. Perhaps you've noticed that the phenomena around here mimic traditional UFO lore closely - too closely. Someone has read the playbook and is sticking to it exactly. If this were a script proposal for a movie about aliens, no studio would accept it. It's too hackneyed and cliched."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:16 am

OOC:   Vanessa can try to persuade. A single success or failure here will not completely sway Sonja one way or the other, expect perhaps if you crit. But it will be a good start.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:05 am

"It's practically ripped from the X-Files," continues Vanessa. "There's even a Mulder and Scully." She indicates Nik and herself.

Spoiler:
Persuade roll (73% skill) to start convincing Sonja:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:37 am

Allen nods from behind his camera. "Yep. Algeria, Lebanon, Cambodia, Honduras-- It was after Sarajevo I decided to take an assignment stateside. Pays the bills, and gives me a hell of a lot fewer nightmares."

Sonja does not take Griff's bait. She studies Vanessa carefully, her eyes scrutinizing her for any signs of lying. Finally, she sighs. "Of course I don't believe aliens are behind any of this; I may report on this drek, but don't think I'm as gullible as our viewers can be. The thing I care about is getting a good story, and so far I've not had any luck. The whole town has clammed up; won't tell me anything. It makes things frustrating, having to create something from nothing.

"But then you all show up, and that's interesting to me. Of all the FBI agents to send in, they send in you two, when I know for a fact you both work out of New York now. I've done my homework
," she smiles at Nik, and he remembers that she held something of a grudge against him."So stop me if I'm wrong here; the bureau thinks we're looking at another serial killer here. One of the weird ones like The Chiropractor. For some reason they're keeping it quiet. Maybe they fear a copycat, or something similar? Am I on the right track here?"

"Like I said, all I care about is getting a good story, and you folks are my best shot at getting it. So my terms are simple. Give it to me; I want exclusive information on your investigation and what's really going on here. Shut me out like you did in Glendridge and I swear to God I'll have your faces posted all over the news and get every nutty fan we have convinced you're part of a massive coverup. And we have a lot of nutty fans.

"Look, I'm not an unreasonable woman. It's not too late for us to have a mutually beneficial relationship. I'm a reporter; it's not hard for me to approach things in a way that won't raise suspicion, whereas all you guys need to do is flash a badge and you'll have everyone's hairs standing on end. I can actually help with your investigation. Or I can be your greatest enemy. You pick
."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 am

"You can start by turning off the camera and giving me the tape" says Nik, pointing at the camera. "This is private property and no-one gave you permission to film. Do that, then we can talk business."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:01 am

All this bargaining is starting to go over Griff's head. Seeing Nik negotiate with the reporter brings home just how much the paramedic is only playing at being an agent.

He takes a step back, keeping his mouth shut while the professionals do their thing.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:44 am

"How can you help our investigation when you just told us everyone clammed up and won't tell you anything?" asks Vanessa.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 am

"Give him the tape, Al," Sonja says, and her cameraman complies. "Full disclosure, I'm only doing that because there's no way I'd be able to legally fill you in a hotel room without permission. When you're outside, or around town... well that's a different story.

"As for how I can help, I won't lie that's it been difficult. Unexpectedly so, frankly. But I just got here yesterday myself, and I'm confident once I win some of the locals trust things will proceed more smoothly. Right now they just see me as another reporter eager to put them on TV and humiliate them. Sooner or later they'll understand I really do want to tell their story; even if I don't believe a word of it, I'm not one to mock. Like I said, I know what our viewers want.

"Look, just keep me in the loop, alright? Allen and I are staying three doors down on this floor. I'd appreciate a headsup on what's really going on here, and what leads you're pursuing. And if I can help along the way, I'm open for collaboration. But I will not tolerate being shut out again. I need this
." She tries but fails to mask the hungry look in her eyes. "Anyway, If there's nothing else I'll leave you to it. Get some rest. I look forward to hearing from you in the morning." After stopping to hear any last words the agents have to say, she and Allen walk out.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:05 am

Nik pulls the tape out of the cassette and throws it in the bin.

“She’s not stupid, but her ambition will probably cloud her judgement. She might be useful for information, so we’d better keep her onside.”

He sits down again.

“The cover story I’m thinking of is this; we’re here as we said as part of a state-wide task force. The Colombian cartels are looking for staging areas as they move drugs north, quiet areas where they won’t rouse too much suspicion. The confidential part which we should only share with trusted parties, including the sheriff, is that they are also moving a new drug. It’s similar to PCP, but it can induce even greater psychotic episodes. We want to keep it quiet until we have samples to examine. Sound good? I still want to try and find if that Adams guy might still be around. If I can find him, maybe some of you can keep Sonja distracted. The last thing we need is her seeing us with a Saucerwatch geek.”

Nik opens his phone again to call the sheriff and ask about Adams' last known location.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 am

HoneyDog wrote:“The cover story I’m thinking of is this; we’re here as we said as part of a state-wide task force. The Colombian cartels are looking for staging areas as they move drugs north, quiet areas where they won’t rouse too much suspicion. The confidential part which we should only share with trusted parties, including the sheriff, is that they are also moving a new drug. It’s similar to PCP, but it can induce even greater psychotic episodes. We want to keep it quiet until we have samples to examine. Sound good? I still want to try and find if that Adams guy might still be around. If I can find him, maybe some of you can keep Sonja distracted. The last thing we need is her seeing us with a Saucerwatch geek.”

"Agree buddy" José will go to his room after they finalize talking, getting into bed with cloths on, fanny pack around his waist and falls immediately to sleep
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Yeah, sounds like a plan,” Griff concurs. “So we split up into pairs tomorrow and ask around yeah?”

He retrieves the tape from the trash.

“Maybe we should take a look at this too, just in case they caught something interesting. Then we can wipe it.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:02 pm

"I was thinking along the same lines," says Vanessa. "We can degauss the videotape with a magnet when we're done with it."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:29 am

Nik finds that Sheriff Oakley has gone home for the evening, though the deputy that answers is apologetic and says he'll ask him to call the team back sometime tomorrow. If pressed, the deputy says he last saw Adams two days back,and that he had been around the town for a little longer than two weeks. Unfortunately, he does not know Adams last known location, only that he had been asking around Groversville about UFO sightings.

With that, the agents retire and spend their first night in the quaint town of Groversville.

July 29th, 2000

The team rises, ready to truly get down to business. They have several leads to pursue. They could visit Billy Ray Spivey's mother and see if she could offer them any further detail about her husband's murder and son's disappearance. Or they could visit Jane Allen, Billy Ray's girlfriend and last known location before he went missing. There's also Merle Barn and the rest of the aldermen who run the town, or the UFO researcher Adams; tracking him down could prove useful. And then there was Sonja Dewey. The dogged reporter was not likely to leave them alone, but how much--or little cooperation they gave to her was up to them.

Spoiler:
A lot of information for you guys to digest, the ball is in your court. I want to clear up a few points however.

First of all, no one outside DG has seen the tape of Spivey killing the clerk at the store. As best the agents can tell, national media briefly covered Billy Ray's crime spree, but none of them made the connection to Groversville. Of course, Sheriff Oakley should be aware of the griesily murder of his father, though it did not really come up during you guy's talk with him yesterday.

Secondly, I decided to do a slight retcon with Anatomist and jp1885's permission. You guys were given fake ID's but are now identified as consultants with the FBI, so you no longer have to pretend to be FBI agents to those you meet. This route would probably attract less attention while not putting the spotlight on your two characters as much, so I think this is probably what DG would have done. It also excuses, to some extent, any lapses you might make in knowing FBI protocol.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:06 am

Spoiler:
That makes things a lot easier!

“I want to run down Adams says Nik. “But we need to worry about Sonja. I don’t really want her following us around, it will just attract too much attention and might stop people from talking to us. We don’t want her making any connections to Spivey and we don't want her filming us. It might be better to send her off on a mission of some kind, maybe trying to find out more about the cattle disappearances. We can offer her an exclusive when its all done. We need more transport – perhaps the Sheriff’s office can help – and we don’t necessarily have to operate in pairs as we have multiple leads to follow. We might cover more ground and be less easy to track.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:13 am

"I don't think she'll be deflected by just sending her somewhere this time," says Vanessa. "One of us is going to have to go with her to keep her busy. You'll be trying to track down Adams, and I'd like to start by talking to Spivey's mother. Perhaps one of our 'consultants' can come with one of us or follow another lead while the other goes with Sonja to look at cows."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby jp1885 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:14 am

"I'd like to take a tour of the local farms, but if I drag Sonja around she's gonna smell a rat, especially if I have to start mapping livestock disappearances; that's got UFO conspiracy written all over it."

Griff rubs his chin, uncomfortable with the thought of dealing with the inquisitive journalist, before pausing, struck by a sudden thought.

"You're gonna think I'm being paranoid, but has anyone checked that video tape for bugs? They gave it away pretty easy and she strikes me as being very resourceful.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 am

"shh..." José pick up the tape and examines it
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 pm

"Knock yourselves out" says Nik. "I'm going to reception. Hopefully I won't run into Sonja".

He leaves the room.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Best as José can determine, the tape is clean.

OOC:   Nik can roll luck. You can probably guess what for.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Delta Green: S-Cell