Music From a Darkened Room

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Re: Music From a Darkened Room

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:49 am

Vanessa follows along through the kitchen, which they have to pass through in order to reach the master bedroom.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:55 pm

The team moves into the kitchen. Dated would be a polite term for it. It may have been cutting edge in 1956, but the past forty years have not treated it well.
The stick-on tile is peeling. The Formica counters are cracked and yellowed with age. The stove is ancient and covered in grime. The
room is filled with a subtle, rotten odor like old eggs. It looks recently rifled-through; many of the cabinets are half
opened. A half-filled garbage bag on the floor is filled with rotting foodstuffs. It does not smell pleasant.

Yarrow spends very little time in this room. He heads past the breakfast nook and into the hallway leading to the master bedroom. Opening the door, the agents find themselves assaulted with a dazzling display of all encompassing mirrors built into the walls of the room. There seem to be ten of them, and they surround the entire room, sparing only the ceiling and floor. These mirrors cast what seem to be thousands of reflections; It’s disorienting and ugly, like something out of a twisted parody of a circus fun house.

Other than the mirrors, there are the standard furniture expected inside a bedroom. A queen sized bed and night table sit at one end of the room. The other side of the room holds a door, currently closed, that leads into the master bath.

Everyone inside the room has a feeling of being watched, though there is no immediate sign of anything amiss. Whether this is due to the mirrors or something more sinister is not readily apparent.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Chaz searches the room

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100:
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 am

"Let's try scanning the bed," suggests Vanessa.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:40 am

Yarrow does so. The meter goes up about halfway, and he nods as if it confirms what he suspected. "This is important. Wheeler spent a lot of time in this bed, so it makes sense we're seeing a reaction to it. Her spirit lingers on within it. I'm not sure how important this piece is still to her, but it's probably one of the things we will need to destroy."

He scans the rest of the room, and the mirrors exhibit the strongest reaction so far.

"These mirrors are definitely the source behind the manifestation. Other parts of the house may still remain a tether for the spirit within this realm, but if we destroy these we stand a god chance at removing much of the negativity that this house has caused. I'd also suggest destroying the bed just to be safe afterwards; it was likely a source of misery for her, especially if she died in it."

Yarrow continues to check each mirror, all of whom give a similar strong reading. He looks deep in thought.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:43 pm

"What's the best way to contact her?" asks Vanessa. "Should I lie in the bed? Should I try to sleep in it? I'm not sure I can sleep there, though."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm

"Well, the strongest reading comes from the mirrors, so any contact from the manifestation is most likely to come from in there," Yarrow explains. "The bed may be a safer option, but I also suspect she's no longer tied to it, and the spiritual energy I'm detecting is the psychic remnants of her having spent so much time in it. But the mirrors seems to be what she is tied to as a primary source."

He stares in one of the mirrors, examining his reflection carefully.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:43 am

"All right, let's try the mirrors," says Vanessa. "Can you see her in there?"
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:00 am

Yarrow nods faintly, tilting his head towards the mirror as if he's listening. "I think the manifestation is attempting to communicate!" He steps up to the mirror and touches it.

From the master bath, all agents hear the sound of a bath beginning to be drawn. There's also the sound of a woman singing, though the language beyond the door is muffled.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HoneyDog » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:48 pm

"Don't touch that!" Nik shrieks at Yarrow. He moves to grab the Professor away from it.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:52 pm

OOC:   Nik, please make a Dex*4 roll.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 am

"Be careful!" calls Vanessa. "Remember what happened when I tried it!"
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Anatomist » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 am

Chaz readies his axe again
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:59 am

OOC:   Chaz,Please give me an int*5 roll.  

Spoiler:
It occurs to Chaz that the mirrors seem to be influencing Yarrow in some way. Perhaps using the axe to strike them could sever and free him from their connection, and may even be the key to defeating the house?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Anatomist » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:25 am

Silver Priest wrote:
OOC:   Chaz,Please give me an int*5 roll.  

Spoiler:
It occurs to Chaz that the mirrors seem to be influencing Yarrow in some way. Perhaps using the axe to strike them could sever and free him from their connection, and may even be the key to defeating the house?

Spoiler:
Anatomist rolled 1d100:
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 am

Vanessa's words fall on deaf ears, and the professor reaches towards the mirror. Nik moves to restrain him, but Yarrow just manages to elude his grip.He reaches into the mirror, and pulls something out. It's an axe, though unlike the one Chaz has it's not covered in runes. It looks old, but its head still seems incredibly sharp.

Yarrow spins around to face the agents. His eyes are blank, but his face splits into a rictus grin. He begins to sing in what sounds like Italian. Then he raises the axe and begins to advance towards the agents!

All the while, the sound of running water from the bath continues.

Spoiler:
First make a san roll, 0/1 for seeing the axe emerge from thin air. Then it's time for combat with Yarrow doing his best Jack Nicholson impression. All of you go before Dr. Yarrow, so act in whatever order you like, but in case it becomes relevant:

13 Chaz
12Nik/Vanessa
10 Yarrow
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:07 am

Spoiler:
Do I have pepper spray or mace, or something along those lines? I thought I had mentioned it before, but I can't find it when searching, and it's not listed on my character sheet.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:45 am

Spoiler:
Let's see. Give me a luck roll. If it passes, you do have one. Spraying Pepper Spray is a dex*5 action; if it hits, the target must roll con*5 or be stunned and suffer a penalty to all actions for an hour. Even if they pass the roll, they still suffer half the penalty.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:54 am

Since she doesn't have pepper spray on her, Vanessa tries to wrestle with Dr. Yarrow to disarm him.

Spoiler:
Sanity roll (current level 63) for seeing the axe appear:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

Luck roll (60% stat) to have pepper spray:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:

Unarmed Combat roll (60% skill) trying to disarm Dr. Yarrow:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:09 am

OOC:   Please see the OOC discussion before posting!  

Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 1d100:

To succeed, Yarrow would have had to roll his skill with the axe, 30%, and score a higher number success than you. Since Vanessa's skill is higher than his and she rolled a 52%, he would need to roll a crit to beat her. Unfortunately, that is 1 and any double number success that would have passed ordinary. So he beats Vanessa here. :(

Chaz strikes at Yarrow with his own axe, but the nimble madman darts out of the way at the last second.

Vanessa tries to disarm the mad professor, but once again he proves too wily for her. Laughing manically he thrusts the axe forward at the last second, aiming to impale her!

Spoiler:
Silver Priest rolled 1d8:

impale damage
Silver Priest rolled 1d8:

It cuts deep into her flesh, and her kevlar only just protects her from the blow being a fatal one. She's bleeding heavily however, and her ribs are in a tremendous amount of pain. Some of them may be punctured. She is in need of urgent medical treatment.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Delta Green: S-Cell