Book the Second, Chapter the Eighth: A Brace of Conundrums

Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Eighth: A Brace of Conundr

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Tue May 05, 2020 10:12 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
Not one to give up, Henry stays in the race and tries to catch up with the others.

Spoiler:
DEX 15
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:

Perhaps more used to the steed by now, Doctor North is able to maintain a good pace, falling behind Lady Highdark and William a bit, but remaining close enough to observe that some accident has befallen them.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:30 am

All thoughts of the race forgotten, Lepus ambles over to the tower. Mindful of the myriad spirits that dwell in and around the Highdark estate, he bows respectfully to the structure.

“Greetings. Does anyone dwell herein, hm?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Tue May 05, 2020 10:03 pm

William stops his horse beside Lady Highdark - if she is able to rise by herself, he will reach down to assist her up on to his horse - otherwise, he will dismount to help her. If the snakes make to attack, he will fire a shot into their midst to confuse them.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed May 06, 2020 1:15 am

"There's been an accident!" Henry calls to the other riders. He quickens his horse's pace to get close enough to see what's going on and render assistance, though still maintaining caution lest he run afoul of the same problem.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed May 06, 2020 9:54 am

jp1885 wrote:
All thoughts of the race forgotten, Lepus ambles over to the tower. Mindful of the myriad spirits that dwell in and around the Highdark estate, he bows respectfully to the structure.

“Greetings. Does anyone dwell herein, hm?”

There is a soft answer, no more than the constant whispering of the wind across the moors.

free me
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed May 06, 2020 9:57 am

SunlessNick wrote:William stops his horse beside Lady Highdark - if she is able to rise by herself, he will reach down to assist her up on to his horse - otherwise, he will dismount to help her. If the snakes make to attack, he will fire a shot into their midst to confuse them.

Spoiler:
to see if she can rise dex = 9

It is evident that Lady Highdark is unable to stand, whether through some minor injury or through sheer fright at the sight of the vipers.

Spoiler:
number of adders that will attack
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d5:

William's shot: dex = 12 + 1 for Soldier (danger) + 3 for Good Shot = 16

Perhaps because of the way the serpents slither through the grass of the moors, William's first shot fails to strike at them.

Spoiler:
adder dex = 15; five rolls
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 5d20:
16, 15, 12, 4, 18

Two of the icy-hearted creatures succeed in their attempt to strike at the helpless Lady Highdark.

Spoiler:
automatic damage of two points from bites. CON roll to avoid effects of venom. CON = 9

Spoiler:
immediate damage from venom
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d6:

Lady Highdark falls into a swoon. By this time, Lord Highdark, Henry, and Doctor North are able to reach the site of this most unfortunate circumstance. Working together, the men are able to kill or drive away all of the cruel beasts. It is not yet possible to revive Lady Highdark, who must be carried back to the manor home. A quick examination by Doctor North reveals that she has suffered serious debilitation from the poison with which Nature has seen fit to equip the serpents.

Spoiler:
each day without a successful CON roll leads to another 1d6 of damage
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Wed May 06, 2020 3:12 pm

It will be evident to all that - though he attempts to conceal it - this incident has left William in a high temper. This is easily explained by concern for Lady Highdark - or to those of a less charitable disposition, the wound to his pride that he failed to effect her rescue by himself. He asks, requiring some effort to keep a curt tone from his voice, whether Lord Dunwich has any means to treat such an affliction, or failing that whether there is anything among Miss Ravenscroft's leftover possessions.

Spoiler:
The true reason for his ire is of course even less noble - that he had imaginings of catching Lady Highdark once the rest of the party had fallen behind,and claiming his prize then and there (and rather suspected a similar thought was in her mind) - a design now thoroughly thwarted.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby jp1885 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Lepus cocks his head.

"Free thee? Why art thou imprisoned, hm?"

Flexing long grubby fingers, he mutters an incantation to detect evil, lest the spirit presumably trapped amng the stones is a malevolent one.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu May 07, 2020 12:53 am

Henry has Ivan carry Lady Highdark back to the house while he collects samples of the venom, and he does everything he can for her, including using the Lesser Regenerator to repair the damage the adders have already caused. "I can treat the damage easily enough," he says. "The venom itself is another matter. It will continue to do damage over time until it runs its course. I haven't developed an antidote for it, but I can study it and try to come up with one. I collected some of it from the dead snakes' venom sacs. I'll take it to the laboratory and see what I can find."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 am

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus cocks his head.

"Free thee? Why art thou imprisoned, hm?"

Flexing long grubby fingers, he mutters an incantation to detect evil, lest the spirit presumably trapped among the stones is a malevolent one.

An overpowering sense of wicked intent, as repulsive to the mind as the stench of an abbatoir to the senses, fills the soul of the hedge wizard. It is clearly evident indeed that whatsoever lurks here has nought but destruction within its unnatural thoughts.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 am

SunlessNick wrote:It will be evident to all that - though he attempts to conceal it - this incident has left William in a high temper. This is easily explained by concern for Lady Highdark - or to those of a less charitable disposition, the wound to his pride that he failed to effect her rescue by himself. He asks, requiring some effort to keep a curt tone from his voice, whether Lord Dunwich has any means to treat such an affliction, or failing that whether there is anything among Miss Ravenscroft's leftover possessions.

Spoiler:
The true reason for his ire is of course even less noble - that he had imaginings of catching Lady Highdark once the rest of the party had fallen behind,and claiming his prize then and there (and rather suspected a similar thought was in her mind) - a design now thoroughly thwarted.

Spoiler:
As you return to the manor home in this mood, you find yourself curiously drawn to the tower of stones known as Duncan's Cairn. No doubt Lepus has already warned all that nothing but evil lurks therein, yet there is something about it which suggests that a daring man could profit mightily if he made the proper use of whatever it is that lies below the heavy stones.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu May 14, 2020 9:59 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry has Ivan carry Lady Highdark back to the house while he collects samples of the venom, and he does everything he can for her, including using the Lesser Regenerator to repair the damage the adders have already caused. "I can treat the damage easily enough," he says. "The venom itself is another matter. It will continue to do damage over time until it runs its course. I haven't developed an antidote for it, but I can study it and try to come up with one. I collected some of it from the dead snakes' venom sacs. I'll take it to the laboratory and see what I can find."

During the melancholy journey back to the manor home, Lepus informs his companions as to the malevolent nature of the unknown which lies under Duncan's Cairn. Even to those not normally sensitive to the emanations of the preternatural it produces an eerie sense of both temptation and danger.

Be that as it may, there are more vital affairs to which one must attend. The external damage done to Lady Highdark by the cruel fangs of the serpents is readily healed by Doctor North's invention, but the poison remains within her body.

Spoiler:
con = 9
damage
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d6:

Despite these efforts, the best that can be said is that Lady Highdark is no closer to the next world than she was before, if not at any greater distance from it, Doctor North's ministrations just barely sufficient to make up for the continuing destructive power of the adders' venom.

The situation being thus, it is proper than Georgina suggests that the second day of Christmas -- melancholy Yuletide! -- be spent in prayer and meditation.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby jp1885 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:41 am

Leaving dire warnings against releasing the evil entity from it’s stone prison, Lepus accompanies the others back to the great house.

After a moment’s meditation, he asks leave to attend to the stricken matriarch. If this is agreed upon, he will rummage through his rags for the medallion he found amongst the slain pilgrims remains and place it around Lady Highdark’s neck.

If it is said to protect against poisons, then maybe it can neutralise them too?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 pm

William pays his respects in the sickroom, but then makes way for those performing their ministrations. Feeling restless he takes himself out for another ride, declaring that for him, the meditation Georgina so aptly suggests is best achieved away from the comforts of hearth and roof.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 am

Henry does what he can to keep Lady Highdark stable, using his device again as necessary, and continues to examine the venom in the laboratory.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri May 15, 2020 8:43 am

jp1885 wrote:
Leaving dire warnings against releasing the evil entity from it’s stone prison, Lepus accompanies the others back to the great house.

After a moment’s meditation, he asks leave to attend to the stricken matriarch. If this is agreed upon, he will rummage through his rags for the medallion he found amongst the slain pilgrims remains and place it around Lady Highdark’s neck.

If it is said to protect against poisons, then maybe it can neutralise them too?

The item in question being thus applied, it appears that Lady Highdark recovers sufficiently to participate in the next day's celebration, although it must needs be of a far less vigorous nature than the ill-fated ride. To this end, a game of charades in poesy is proposed, prizes to be awarded to the cleverest invention as well as to the wisest solver. To begin, Georgina, with many a flattering blush at being thus the center of attention, offers the following.

My FIRST is to go on and on,
upon one subject drear;
My SECOND is what eyes must do,
Or else 'tis pity, dear;
My THIRD mere toy for sweet young puss,
A simple length of string;
My WHOLE brings joy to all who hear;
No mouth, and yet does sing.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 am

SunlessNick wrote:William pays his respects in the sickroom, but then makes way for those performing their ministrations. Feeling restless he takes himself out for another ride, declaring that for him, the meditation Georgina so aptly suggests is best achieved away from the comforts of hearth and roof.

Spoiler:
If you happen to go by Duncan's Cairn, you will experience a hunch, or mere fancy, that the tower was erected to secure something of great value.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri May 15, 2020 8:49 am

Mr. Handy wrote:Henry does what he can to keep Lady Highdark stable, using his device again as necessary, and continues to examine the venom in the laboratory.

After much experimentation, Doctor North is able to produce a small amount of a greenish-yellow liquid, which, when ingested, protects the user from any future effects of the venom of serpents. There is sufficient to supply a single individual with said protection.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
If you happen to go by Duncan's Cairn, you will experience a hunch, or mere fancy, that the tower was erected to secure something of great value.
Spoiler:
see my latest note.
SunlessNick
Disciple
Disciple

Postby jp1885 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:58 pm

The young mistress' riddle throws Lepus into a state of great perplexment. He gurns, mutters and chews the stem of his pipe, all the while dislodging a number of small bugs from his head as he scratches it.

Then suddenly, like the bright sun beaming through a murky storm cloud, his face lights up in a broad grin.

"Heh! Aye, old Lepus has the measure of it! 'tis a harpsichord, yesno? A bore might harp on about a dull subject, thou see with thine eyes and yon cat doth play with yon chord. All together, it be a harp-see-chord that playeth the sweet tune!"

He capers, verily pleased with his reasoning.

"'tis my turn, yesno?"

My FIRST: a letter,
For which honey thou keep;
My SECOND a tup,
Who wouldst dally with sheep;
My THIRD be an order,
Sent from Rome, to boot!
My WHOLE shalt prick thee,
Shouldst thou gather it's fruit!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper