Re: Chapter the Twelfth: A Lengthy Search

Postby Rooter » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 am

"Not I," Lila declares.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 am

"I have been in such places before," says Ines. "And I doubt Guillaume paid much heed to me at the Chateau."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:21 am

"I would stick out too much in a place like that," says Henry. "I'd probably also be robbed blind within minutes of setting foot there. It is likely to be dangerous. Would you like for Ivan to be there too? I doubt Guillaume took notice of him either. He can wear the anonymous clothing we picked up in Paris, and he can pretend to arrive separately. If there's any trouble, he'll be able to help you."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 am

As Ines enters Le Joyeux Marin, she attracts much attention from within. Grins and leers from sailors; curiosity and disdain from their female companions. Having the wisdom to arrive during the daytime, when the patrons are not yet entirely under the influence of spirits, she finds the place reasonably calm, with only a few loud arguments going on. A stout man wearing a dirty apron approaches. With her recently acquired knowledge of gutter French, Ines is able to follow his muttered conversation.

-- You buying? Or selling? --

This remark brings a few chuckles from some of the sailors. Meanwhile, Ivan arrives, drawing notice for his size and obvious strength. Many of the sailors take care to avoid looking directly at him. The man in the apron addresses him.

-- Food, drink, or something else? --

Spoiler:
Mr Handy may role-play the part of Ivan whilst his master is not present.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Ines will go to the counter and purchase a cheap pastry and wine. If it's another girl behind the counter, she will say as she paying, "I wonder if that giant man is looking to buy some company."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 am

"Food," grunts Ivan in broken French. "Maybe the drink and something else later." He is a big man with a big appetite, and he can eat for quite some time while Ines does what she needs to do. He keeps an eye on her, masking it as attraction. He isn't the only man watching her, to be sure. He also keeps aware of their surroundings.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 am

Spoiler:
1 = man behind the counter, 2 = woman
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d2:

The woman whom Ines approaches is a slatternly sort of middle years. She wears a large amount of cheap jewelry and clothing more notable for its colorful designs than its quality.

-- Any arrangements made in this place, I get half the takings, understand? For your protection, if you see what I mean. --

With that, she moves her head in the direction of a table where three burly men are engaged in a game of dice.

-- They aren't friendly to folks who don't follow the house rules. --

Meanwhile, an older sailor, much in his cups, rises unsteadily from his table and half-walks, half-stumbles over to Ivan.

-- Big fellow, aren't you? Want to arm wrestle? Loser pays for the next drink. What do you say, friend? --
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 am

Ivan sizes the sailor up, grinning. "You're on, friend," he said. He doesn't think the old man will pose much of a challenge, but he'll try not to hurt him when he wins. He rests his elbow on the table, his hand open to clasp his opponent's.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 am

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:-- Any arrangements made in this place, I get half the takings, understand? For your protection, if you see what I mean. --

Ines gives the woman a conspiratorial look and asks, "Any men set to travel soon then? A few good memories for when he's stuck among the sailors could be good takings for us both." At the same time, she keeps an eye on the room, in case the search should prove as simple as Guillaume appearing in search of his own food and drink.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 am

Mr. Handy wrote:Ivan sizes the sailor up, grinning. "You're on, friend," he said. He doesn't think the old man will pose much of a challenge, but he'll try not to hurt him when he wins. He rests his elbow on the table, his hand open to clasp his opponent's.

Spoiler:
STR=16
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:

Ivan wins easily, although the old sailor is stronger than he looks. With a salute he tosses a coin, with remarkable skill, to the woman behind the bar.

-- Brandy for the big man! --

After these words are spoken he droops in his chair and falls asleep, snoring loudly. The woman, after biting the coin with what few teeth she has left to test its authenticity, brings Ivan a large tin cup full of a deep red liquid.

This incident has drawn the attention of the three men previously pointed out by the woman, who whisper among themselves.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 am

SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:-- Any arrangements made in this place, I get half the takings, understand? For your protection, if you see what I mean. --

Ines gives the woman a conspiratorial look and asks, "Any men set to travel soon then? A few good memories for when he's stuck among the sailors could be good takings for us both." At the same time, she keeps an eye on the room, in case the search should prove as simple as Guillaume appearing in search of his own food and drink.

Spoiler:
More a matter of luck than anything else . . .WIS = 11

There is no sign of Guillaume as of yet. The proprietress (for such she would appear to be) suggests that Ines head up the rickety stairs next to the bar. There are a few small rooms upstairs, where those who have partaken overmuch of the fruit of the vine may, as they say, sleep it off. The rooms are also used for other purposes, of course.

-- First room on the left. -- the woman says. -- He's got money, and an eye for women, if I'm any judge. --
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 am

"Merci," says Ivan. He raises his cup in salute to the sleeping sailor before quaffing it, savoring the taste.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:54 am

Mr. Handy wrote:"Merci," says Ivan. He raises his cup in salute to the sleeping sailor before quaffing it, savoring the taste.

Spoiler:
CON=11

Ivan notices that the brandy makes him feel very sleepy, but he is able to force himself to stay alert.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 pm

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:-- First room on the left. -- the woman says. -- He's got money, and an eye for women, if I'm any judge. --

Ines finshes her pastry and wine, then heads up the stairs to the door the proprietress indicated. Rather than go in, she puts her eye to the keyhole, trying to get a glimpse of the man within.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Ivan finishes his meal and heads upstairs, not wanting to be too far from Ines in case she needs help. He allows his drowsiness to show through, and it shouldn't come as any surprise to whoever drugged his drink that he is going upstairs, apparently to sleep it off.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:54 am

Spoiler:
To peer through the keyhole without drawing the attention of whoever might be inside: DEX = 10

Whilst bending low to peer through the keyhole, the many beads, bracelets, and other cheap baubles which Ines wears produce enough noise to draw the attention of the man within. He opens the door wide and examines her closely.

He is a tall, slender man of middle years, dressed in sailor's clothing, but of a higher quality than one would expect from his current lodgings. He wears a black patch, which appears to be made of fine silk, over one eye. Others signs of a life not entirely safe from hazards are the many small, faded scars upon his face and hands. Without these, he would be reasonably good-looking, with a ruddy complexion and dark, golden hair which he wears in long curls that fall over his shoulders.

--Ah! -- he says. -- About time the sea-witch who runs this purgatory sent up a pretty one. Come in, come in! They call me Captain Jacques, and you'll find that I can be a generous friend. --

He casts a single glance at Ivan, but otherwise shows no particular interest in the Russian.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby SunlessNick » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 pm

A little unsure she knows what she's doing Ines goes into the room, but before this Captain Jacques can do more than close the door, says, "I like generosity, Captain, but perhaps you would prefer a chance to make money rather than spend it."
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:15 am

This remark definitely raises the fellow's interest.

-- Indeed? Tell me more, my dear. --
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 am

Ivan checks to see if one of the rooms on either side of the one which Ines entered is vacant.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:39 am

Spoiler:
A matter of luck, I'd say. WIS = 9

Both rooms appear to be currently occupied. From the one further on the left (the last room in that direction), can be heard loud snoring. From the one on the right, the laughter and murmured conversation of a woman and a man emerges. There is one more room beyond that one, making a total of four rooms in all. Ivan is not yet close enough to the last room to determine if it is empty or not.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Ghastly Affair