Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:30 pm

"In a moment, my friend. First I must prepare her." With that Miss Dupray speaks to one of the sword-bearing men.

-- Bring the device! --

He reaches behind a stack of unlit torches and emerges with a strange mechanism. It appears to consist of a cask of the type used to store liquid, connected to a complex clockwork mechanism. It is heavy and somewhat unwieldy, and the burly fellow can barely carry it.

-- Hold the woman still so that the procedure may begin. --

The hooded men grasp Miss Carrow's arms. The man approaches with the device slowly and carefully.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Image

Ines picks up Lucky and turns to DuPray, asking, "Will you at least permit Miss Carrow a moment with her beloved companion?"
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Image

Henry looks over the device, expert in all things mechanical, to try to deduce its purpose. He is ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. "Your servant is having difficulty," he says. "Allow mine to carry it. He is stronger."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:50 pm

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines picks up Lucky and turns to DuPray, asking, "Will you at least permit Miss Carrow a moment with her beloved companion?"


"The creature will make a charming addition to the eternal couple. Allow the fox to join her mistress."
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Henry looks over the device, expert in all things mechanical, to try to deduce its purpose. He is ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. "Your servant is having difficulty," he says. "Allow mine to carry it. He is stronger."


Spoiler:
Attempt to understand the device: INT = 13 + 1 TI + 3 acting on the behalf of True Love = 17
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
15


His already gifted scientific mind working with greater efficiency than ever, Doctor North is able to deduce that the device is designed to administer the substance which induces vitrification in its victim.

Spoiler:
Attempting to persuade Miss DuPray to allow Ivan to carry the device: CHA = 9 + 4 bonus as above = 13
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
11


The madwoman is convinced. "Very well. Your man may handle the device."
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:07 pm

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:"The creature will make a charming addition to the eternal couple. Allow the fox to join her mistress."


Image

Ines carries Lucky over to Miss Carrow, conveniently placing both she and the vixen in proximity to the two guards.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Image

"Ivan, go over and take the device from the other man," instructs Henry. He intends to wait until Ivan has the machine in his hands before making his move.

Spoiler:
Can I determine how best to render the device useless? Would brute force do the trick, if I tell Ivan to smash it?
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:04 am

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Ivan, go over and take the device from the other man," instructs Henry. He intends to wait until Ivan has the machine in his hands before making his move.

Spoiler:
Can I determine how best to render the device useless? Would brute force do the trick, if I tell Ivan to smash it?


Spoiler:
I do not believe that there is enough information to make this obvious yet.


The burly Russian is able to handle the device with ease.

"Now place it on the ground, next to the young lady," Miss DuPray commands.

Spoiler:
Ivan's INT = 7
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
13


Ivan is not quick enough of mind to realize that this is merely a ploy on the part of Doctor North, and unthinkingly does so. The device begins to hum and click in a most unmusical manner, its myriad components whirling and dashing about. A thick liquid pours forth from the cask into a object shaped something like a long and thin funnel, which moves to direct its narrow end toward Miss Carrow.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:24 am

Image

"Now, I'm perfectly capable of commanding my own servant," says Henry, moving forward to join Ivan as soon as Violette gives her order. He tries to figure out the quickest way to disable the machine and hopes that Lila's distraction is effective.

Spoiler:
I do have Mechanical Genius, which should help here.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 am

Image


Edit: I cross-posed this with Mr. Handy. If Henry's right there, will he be able to forestall this reaction from Ines? If not, she responds to the device as follows:


Ines's head tells her she should wait for a signal from the others, but there is no telling how quickly the device will do its evil work, and her superstitious heart overrules her. She thrusts Lucky at one of the guards, bidding vixen to attack, then punches at the other with her brass knuckles.

OOC:   Charisma = 10, + 1 Animal Husbandry, +1 True Innocent
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 14  


Unless other factors intervene, Lucky is moved more to flight than fight, or otherwise does not grasp the Gypsy's will.

OOC:   I can attack twice a round with boxing, wherever my Initiative would place me.

Dexterity = 9, +1 Boxing, +1 True Innocent
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 5

Dexterity = 9, +1 Boxing, +1 True Innocent
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 2

I think brass knuckles do D6 (though that seems high) + damage bonus, which is 2 for Ines when she's boxing.
SunlessNick rolled 1D6+2: 7
SunlessNick rolled 1D6+2: 8  


Fear for Miss Carrow, or of the infernal device, lends strength to Ines's attacks.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:12 am

Suddenly all is chaos!

While the vixen dashes wildly about the room, distracting the attention of the armed men, Ines has managed to knock out one of the two hooded figures. As he falls to the ground the other grabs Miss Carrow's arm to prevent her from taking flight. At the same time, Miss Davenport unties the Knotted Winds, no doubt in hope that it will serve as an additional distraction.

Spoiler:
The adventurers have been travelling in a southwesterly direction; thus they are standing to the northeast of their opponents.

Direction of wind: 1 = n, 2 = ne, 3 = e, 4 = se, 5 = s, 6 = sw, 7 = w, 8 = nw
Intensity of wind varies from 1 to 4
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d8:
3
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d4:
3


A strong wind emerges from the magical length of cord, at an angle which misses the abductors entirely and which strikes the adventurers only obliquely. It is enough, however to cause further delay in the response of the enemy, and to cause the hooded man to loose Miss Carrow.

Meanwhile, Doctor North attempts to disable the fiendish device.

Spoiler:
INT = 13 + 1 + 3 + 3 = 20 automatic success


It is easily done. The vitrifying liquid pours out upon the floor harmlessly.

Enraged, Miss DuPray cries out at her soldiers.

-- Slay them! --

They hurry to obey, but all that has occurred allows the adventurers to take action before they are attacked. It will be observed that Miss DuPray takes the opportunity to escape through the door behind her armed minions.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 am

Image

"Ivan, fight the armed men and protect Elizabeth and myself!" commands Henry, swinging his cane at the remaining hooded figure while his hulking servant wades into battle with his sword.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:59 am

Image

As Dr North is attacking the other hooded man, Ines turns her attention to the swordsman from whom Ivan took the device, as he is most likely nearest (and in the hopes that the crossbowmen may be wary of shooting for fear of hitting him).

OOC:   Dexterity = 9, + 1 Boxing, +1 True Innocent
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 16
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 3 [What's the Armour Class of the armour they're wearing?]

SunlessNick rolled 1D6+2: 5  


One blow misses, while the other strikes home, though only our esteemed Presenter can say whether the blackguard's armour protects him.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Rooter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Image

Seeing Miss DuPray make her escape, Lila thinks little of the party's chances of overcoming all the armed men, their armor effectively rendering her daggers useless. Knowing the important thing is to get Miss Carrow to safety, she snatches one of the torches from its holder on the wall and hurls it onto the spilled vitrifying liquid, guessing it might be flammable -- at least, she hopes, the fire might be enough to beat the guards back in order that the party may either retreat or be able to slip past after Miss DuPray. The one advantage they have is that the men will not be able to move as quickly, being encumbered by their heavy armor.
User avatar
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Spoiler:
The armor is of a kind which reduces the Dexterity of the attacker by two, and which reduces the Speed of the armed men by two. Surprisingly, the penalty to Speed does not effect Miss DuPray who, if anything, moves with more than normal haste.


So much occurs at once that it would be difficult for any witness to take in all that is happening.

Doctor North attempts to strike at the hooded figure with his sword cane.

Spoiler:
Dex = 10 + 1 TI + 3 TL - 2 = 14
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
17


Despite his passionate desire to protect the life of his beloved, he fails to connect. The man flees through the same door as Miss DuPray, obviously not eager to participate in battle.

The loyal Ivan makes his attack also.

Spoiler:
Dex = 9 + 1 TI = 10 - 2 for armor = 8
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
5


Spoiler:
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d6:
2


His target is injured, but not to such a degree as to render him unable to attack.

Ines has knocked one of the armed men to the ground, while the other remains unharmed and ready to strike back.

Miss Davenport hurls the torch, aiming for the pool of liquid.

Spoiler:
Dex = 18 + 1 TI + 1 danger so automatic success.


The vitrifying liquid bursts into flame of a most peculiar color, a mixture of green and blue and purple, as if it burns with the very flames of Hell. The room begins to fill with sulfurous clouds of smoke, reducing visibility for all within. The unnerving sound of crossbows being made ready for firing reaches the adventurers from beyond the smoke.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:28 am

Image

Henry could probably have identified the chemicals in the liquid by the colors of the flames if he hadn't had more important things to worry about. "Everyone, back the way we came!" says Henry, taking Elizabeth by the arm and guiding her back to the door through which they had entered. He is relieved that at least the smoke will block the crossbowmen's view and make it impossible for them to aim. "Ivan, guard our rear as we go."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Rooter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:12 am

Image

Lila considers trying to go after Violette for a moment, since they still do not know what became of the missing coachman, but seeing Doctor North and Miss Carrow already retreating she hurries with them.
User avatar
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:23 pm

As the adventurers wisely make haste to escape from the inferno which erupts about them, their enemies make one last effort to strike back.

Spoiler:
Attacking someone who is fleeing is supposed to give a +3 advantage, but I'll rule that this is negated by the difficulty of fighting in a smoke-filled room.


The wounded swordsman slashes back at Ivan.

Spoiler:
DEX = 9 - 3 for the wound (as with the Affliction Clumsy) = 6
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
3


Spoiler:
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d6:
5


The brave and loyal Russian is severely wounded, but fearlessly follows his master as life slowly ebbs out of his mighty body.

Meanwhile, the swordsman who dodged the attack of Ines -- no chivalrous knight he! -- attacks.

Spoiler:
DEX = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
4


Mars, that cruel god, must laugh at this heartless display of violence done upon a young woman.

Spoiler:
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d6:
2


The wound is not severe enough to threaten her life, but it is painful and weakens the bold Gypsy lass.

At the same time, the crossbowmen loose their deadly bolts in the general direction of their foes, their aim severely crippled by the clouds of noxious smoke.

Spoiler:
DEX = 9 - 3 for smoke for each = 6
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 3d20:
17, 6, 16


As fate would have it, all three bolts fly wildly, crashing into the stone walls of the room with a horrible sound, as if giants were smashing down a mountain.

The party escapes through the front door, their attackers made clumsy by their armor. It is a matter of seconds to latch the heavy door, sealing them within. One can hear loud sounds of coughing and choking from behind the door, along with cries for help and the sound of armored fists battering at front and back doors. The conclusion is inescapable; Miss DuPray and the hooded man, caring nothing for the lives of their comrades, have sealed them inside the room, which must now be a deathtrap of smoke and fire.

The adventurers themselves also feel the effects of exposure to the bizarrely colored smoke.

Spoiler:
CON checks to avoid damage from smoke inhalation.
Lucky = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
6

Mister Witherly = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
5

Ivan = 11
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
9

Miss Carrow = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
1

Doctor North = 14
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
4

Miss Davenport = 8
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
15

Ines = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
18


All save Ines and Miss Davenport are able to clear their lungs after a brief period of coughing, but the unfortunate two ladies have been harmed by the toxic fumes of the vitrification substance.

Spoiler:
Ines
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d6:
3

Miss Davenport
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d6:
6


The cost of victory, if such it may be called, is heavy indeed. Ivan, victim of a cruel blade; Miss Davenport, struck down by poisonous fumes; and Ines, the victim of both, collapse to the floor of the corridor.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:54 am

Image

Now that the immediate danger is past, Henry takes out his medical bag and sees to the injured. While Ivan's wound is severe, he knows his servant is tough and still on his feet. For that reason, and for reasons of chivalry, he treats the ladies first. They look to be in worse shape due to the noxious gas. He still has the Cauteriser if it turns out to be necessary.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 32082
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:15 am

Doctor North's medical skill is able to bring the ladies back to a state where they are able to stand and walk, if weakly. It is clear that much time will be required before a full recovery is made. Making their way slowly back along the dank and odorous corridor, then up through the trapdoor (a process which requires much aid from the uninjured), the party returns to the deserted hermitage. It would seem best to rest here for the night for proceeding any further.

The next day it is a short walk back to where one coach remains, the patient horse seemingly unexcited by the night's proceedings. Given sufficient food and water, it is ready to proceed. Without an experienced driver, it will be a slow ride to Paris, but at least the way is clear.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

PreviousNext

Return to Ghastly Affair

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest