Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Postby SunlessNick » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:43 pm

"This Miss Davenport must be a remarkable lady to have the friendship of both a natural philosopher and a, what was the phrase, practitioner of the mystic arts," remarks William once the three men are alone.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:08 pm

"Indeed she is," says Henry. "She possesses remarkable courage. It is unusual for a man of science such as myself to align with practitioners of the mystic arts, but it has happened before. I believe what I can see with my own eyes, and I have seen much. I remain of the opinion that there is a rational explanation for seemingly magical phenomena, that what we observe as magical effects operate under undiscovered scientific principles."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Rooter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:08 pm

"An admirable philosophy, Docteur," Vincent replies and, with a muttered word, produces a candle flame upon the tip of his finger. The flame winks out after a few seconds. "As for Mademoiselle Davenport, Capitaine, when last I heard, she had traveled across the Atlantique with a Gypsy maid, never to return to these shores. But we must look to our own battles, non? I confess I do not know who invited me to Highdark Hall but I suspect it was not Lord Highdark, who would I think rather die than ask a Frenchman for aid. There is something happening in this house of which we must be wary."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 pm

"I have seen an effect like that before," says Henry. "A fellow named Duncan I used to know could achieve similar feats. The Gypsy maid must be Miss Ines. She and Miss Davenport both traveled with me some years ago. Our travels took us to France at one point, as it happens. If it was not Lord Highdark that invited you, perhaps it was Lady Highdark? Do you have the invitation? It is possible to tell by the writing whether a man or a woman scribed it."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Rooter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Vincent proffers the brief message for inspection. "Duncan? Ah, you must mean Monsieur Rachman. I am afraid my colleague has not been seen for a long time."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 pm

"Yes, that's the man," says Henry, examining the invitation. "It is indeed a small world."
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:01 am

"While we are alone, I will confess that I too was invited, by one who feared danger within these walls. I am however bound not to reveal the identity of my correspondant without their leave. But I think I may say that the tone of it was very different from this letter."
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby VictoriaSilverwolf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Spoiler:
INT=16
VictoriaSilverwolf rolled 1d20:

In this modern age, graphology is an exact science, just as much so as, say, phrenology.

Doctor North is able to determine that the brief message was inscribed by the hand of a young woman (but not, certainly, a child.) The handwriting indicates great intelligence, with the shape of certain letters suggesting hints of melancholy and eccentricity.

After some time, Jasper returns with a note from Lord Highdark, addressed to Doctor North, requesting that he attend upon him at ten of the clock. (The guest drawing room is, of course, furnished with a fine clock.) There is no indication as to whether the other two gentlemen should be present or not.

Half an hour before the appointed time, a very young scullery maid arrives with rolls, butter, preserves, tea, and chocolate so that the guests may break their fast. She is somewhat flustered to have been thus entrusted with an important errand, and quickly rushes out once the victuals have been served. As the clock strikes ten, a manservant not previously encountered arrives to conduct Doctor North to Lord Highdark's study, which is located on the second floor, just off a fine portrait gallery, wherein may be seen paintings of the Altumber family and their ancestry. The fellow is not aware of his master's exact intentions, and is unable to offer any information as to what Doctor North might be prepared to expect from the meeting, nor whether the other two gentlemen are expected to accompany him.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Henry shares his findings with his companions. "The young woman who wrote this invitation seems much like me in many ways," he muses. "It isn't clear whether Lord Highdark wishes the two of you to accompany me to his study or not, so I shall leave it up to you gentlemen." Henry follows the servant, regardless of whether the others join him.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby SunlessNick » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:16 am

"I find it unlikely Lord Highdark wishes to discuss this matter with anyone but Lord Dunwich," says William, attacking the refreshments with gusto. Should Vincent concur and remain, he will ask what brought a Frenchman to England's shores - is he perhaps a member of the aristocracy who fled the Revolutionaries? (It must be noted that despite the likelihood of William having fought against France during the recent wars, he betrays no sign of hostility to Vincent, nor to the French factions who which he refers).
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte

Previous

Return to Ghastly Affair